Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndbox Got its First DMCA Ever! From the Ross Ulbricht Legal Defense Fund
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndbox Got its First DMCA Ever! From the Ross Ulbricht Legal Defense Fund

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Story: https://lowendbox.com/blog/ross-ulbricht-threatens-lowendbox-its-weird/

tl;dr: they didn't like that we used a pic of Ross and his girlfriend in SirFoxy's previous article...which was pretty damn sympathetic and even included a donation link...and the pic is all over the Internet anyway. It's weird.

Comments

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited June 2023

@Calin LEB needs DMCA FREE SERVER, time to shine.

• 😂 😂 now we know why Ross isn’t free, wrote an article saying free Ross and his organization said ‘fuck you’

• emghemgh Member

”Yeah ok ross we’ll remove the image. Btw remember how grass feels? Lmao”

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@emgh said: ”Yeah ok ross we’ll remove the image. Btw remember how grass feels? Lmao”

Savage!

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @raindog308 said:
    Story: https://lowendbox.com/blog/ross-ulbricht-threatens-lowendbox-its-weird/

tl;dr: they didn't like that we used a pic of Ross and his girlfriend in SirFoxy's previous article...which was pretty damn sympathetic and even included a donation link...and the pic is all over the Internet anyway. It's weird.

All I want to know is, is the girlfriend hot?

If she's some troll looking missus, I can understand the takedown notice.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

LOL when your own organization ain't trying hard enough but instead too busy DMCAing LOL

• ChievoChievo Member

Gabbie Carter has better photos

Thanked by 1Calin
  • kasodkkasodk Barred

Have you considered that it's his ex-girlfriend, Julia Vie, that don't want pictures of her in articles that aren't about her and that the picture has been removed from freeross.org for the same reason?

Many of the other articles you refer to are about her. But she isn't mentioned at all in SirFoxy's article.

@raindog308, why is so important for you to drag her into it, first with the picture and then by name in your DMCA post on LEB? :)

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • well that's worth a giggle. anyway, looks like freeross defense force has arrived

Thanked by 1Thundas
  • @kasodk said:
    Have you considered that it's his ex-girlfriend, Julia Vie, that don't want pictures of her in articles that aren't about her and that the picture has been removed from freeross.org for the same reason?

Many of the other articles you refer to are about her. But she isn't mentioned at all in SirFoxy's article.

@raindog308, why is so important for you to drag her into it, first with the picture and then by name in your DMCA post on LEB? :)

Could be true if she hadn’t been using Ross’s name and publicity to promote herself and her business for years, for example:

https://24-7-crypto.com/ross-ulbricht-ex-girlfriend-julia-vie/

They just didn’t like something in the article.

Besides the point, I simply used that picture in that article because it was the most natural and human looking picture of Ross.

Focus was never on her, she just happened to be in the picture.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2023

If you post photos publicly and provide no copyright notice, and you don't register the photos with the copyright office, can this DMCA notice even be valid? Remembering of course that DMCA is a US mechanism so I'm only interested in US law.

I'm leaning toward the thought that I'd tell them to suck it and instead of removing the photo, I'd duplicate it in the post. Copyright trolls aren't real people.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@kasodk said: Have you considered that it's his ex-girlfriend, Julia Vie, that don't want pictures of her in articles that aren't about her and that the picture has been removed from freeross.org for the same reason?

Yes, discussed in the article.

@raindog308, why is so important for you to drag her into it, first with the picture and then by name in your DMCA post on LEB?

She did an extensive interview with CBS and appeared on one of their TV shows in 2020. If she is trying to distance, she's doing it wrong.

• ahnlakahnlak Member

@jar said:
    If you post photos publicly and provide no copyright notice, and you don't register the photos with the copyright office, can this DMCA notice even be valid? Remembering of course that DMCA is a US mechanism so I'm only interested in US law.

I'm leaning toward the thought that I'd tell them to suck it and instead of removing the photo, I'd duplicate it in the post. Copyright trolls aren't real people.

I don't think you've had to register stuff with the copyright office for a long, long time, even in the US.

I'm pretty sure the same applies to a copyright notice; the absence of one doesn't magically put things into the public domain despite what 2/3rds of the internet believes.

• So far I read only title of this and found it comical already :smiley: