Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email server

I'm setting up my own email server and need a free or low cost DNS service to setup all the requirements to send out emails including to Gmail users. It's for personal email with my own domain.
Any suggestions for the DNS service?
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• The hurricane electric DNS is free and pretty okay https://dns.he.net/

• melp57melp57 Member

@Setsura said:
    The hurricane electric DNS is free and pretty okay https://dns.he.net/

I tried to register for an account there. No matter how many times I filled out the form everytime it just says error in data?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Cloudns.net is the good stuff. Most people just use Cloudflare.

Thanked by 2TimboJones Swiftnode
  • AytchAytch Member

Bunny DNS is decent

• keplerkepler Member

Most popular ones is cloudflare. Can't go wrong with it. But if u wanna avoid the behemoth of cloudflare, theres also 1984 freedns, glauca hexdns, desec.io.

• Why no one mention Dynu DNS? It's only $9.99 per year.

• melp57melp57 Member

Thank you for all the resources. I realized I could just use porkbun name servers and their DNS. Porkbun is where my domain is, if I used any other service, I would have to pay and transfer to the new DNS service.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@melp57 said:
    Thank you for all the resources. I realized I could just use porkbun name servers and their DNS. Porkbun is where my domain is, if I used any other service, I would have to pay and transfer to the new DNS service.

There's no cost to move DNS, and there's no transfer of anything. You can set any nameservers you like at Porkbun, which delegates only your DNS to that provider. Some cost, many are free.

Also DNS tends to be an afterthought with registrars so be on alert. I've had too much downtime with Pork's DNS, but they did change their infrastructure.

Thanked by 1melp57
  • Just use Cloudflare, free and easy.

• eddie_at_porkbuneddie_at_porkbun Member, Host Rep

@jar said:

@melp57 said:

There's no cost to move DNS, and there's no transfer of anything. You can set any nameservers you like at Porkbun, which delegates only your DNS to that provider. Some cost, many are free.

Also DNS tends to be an afterthought with registrars so be on alert. I've had too much downtime with Pork's DNS, but they did change their infrastructure.

Yep, you don't need to transfer to a new registrar just to use a different set of nameservers. You can also use our DNS for this most likely and support is here if there's any issues/questions.

And it's true, we had a number of DDoS attacks a year or two ago, but we've switched our DNS backend to Cloudflare and [oinks on wood] we haven't had any widespread downtime since.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Cloudflare has mail wizards to generate the right settings.

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep

@jar said:
    Cloudns.net is the good stuff. Most people just use Cloudflare.

I'll second cloudns. We use them for PTR/RDNS on our subnets, and we have never had a single issue.

Thanked by 1jar
  • tentortentor Member, Host Rep

You may check out free DNS at desec.io

• melp57melp57 Member

@eddie_at_porkbun said:

@jar said:

@melp57 said:

Yep, you don't need to transfer to a new registrar just to use a different set of nameservers. You can also use our DNS for this most likely and support is here if there's any issues/questions.

And it's true, we had a number of DDoS attacks a year or two ago, but we've switched our DNS backend to Cloudflare and [oinks on wood] we haven't had any widespread downtime since.

I'm hosting 9 domains with you and I had no luck using your name servers and DNS to get my email server up and running on my vps. I've ended up using DirectAdmin and it's working perfectly. I already use DA for some domain management.

• @melp57 said: I had no luck using your name servers and DNS to get my email server up and running on my vps

Other than dns records, what does the nameservers have anything to do with your email server being up or down?

• melp57melp57 Member

@malignify said:

@melp57 said: I had no luck using your name servers and DNS to get my email server up and running on my vps

Other than dns records, what does the nameservers have anything to do with your email server being up or down?

Nothing, was just saying I was not currently using their NS, I was using my own from DA. I switched to Them to use DNS

• 1q11q1 Member

@melp57 said:

@Setsura said:
    The hurricane electric DNS is free and pretty okay https://dns.he.net/

I tried to register for an account there. No matter how many times I filled out the form everytime it just says error in data?

you can register thru ipv6 certification and then login to dns.he.net using that account

• melp57melp57 Member

UPDATE: I finally got my email server up and running. I went with Hurricane Electric.
    They were the easiest to enter records and they give you 5 different nameservers. This is the only dns service that I could get my server up and running.
    Thanks you guys for all the great suggestions!

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited July 2023

@melp57 said: This is the only dns service that I could get my server up and running.

What do you mean by that? Is there other DNS Service Providers you have tried?

• @melp57 said:
    UPDATE: I finally got my email server up and running. I went with Hurricane Electric.
    They were the easiest to enter records and they give you 5 different nameservers. This is the only dns service that I could get my server up and running.

In the past I also used HE free DNS service for a small number of domains and I do not remember having any issues.

But if you replicate your DNS records on any other DNS provider it should also work.

You can also consider use 2 diferent DNS providers for redundancy purposes. One as Primary and the other as Secondary.

Thanked by 1melp57
  • melp57melp57 Member

@nqservices said:

@melp57 said:

In the past I also used HE free DNS service for a small number of domains and I do not remember having any issues.

But if you replicate your DNS records on any other DNS provider it should also work.

You can also consider use 2 diferent DNS providers for redundancy purposes. One as Primary and the other as Secondary.

Great information, thanks!

• keplerkepler Member

@melp57 said:
    This is the only dns service that I could get my server up and running.

Meanwhile i can't even register to HE. The registration page is a bitch to get through with red error warning about incorrect data. Tried for like 10+ times before it gets into my nerves and called it quits.

My current favourite dns hosting is cloudns, got a gradfathered old account from 2018 with free 3 zones instead of just 1, unlimited query instead of just 500k. Only cons is no dnssec for free account which is standard on most other free dns hoster out there.

Thanked by 1melp57