Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with Swizzin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with Swizzin

DojobDojob Member

I'm not one to post often on forums. I joined this community last year with the aim of finding great deals on a seedbox.

I had been subscribing to a very low-end seedbox for $1 a month (gigarapid). However, due to high energy prices, most providers increased their seedbox prices. It became quite difficult to find really good seedbox deals.

While researching on this forum, I came across users mentioning Swizzin and how easy it is to set up. I do have a bit of an IT background, but it's primarily based on Windows.

The closest I've come to using Linux was with Ubuntu. So, I did some more research and looked at the installation guide for Swizzin. I decided to wait for Black Friday deals.

Eventually, I found a deal for a KVM Storage VPS with 1 CPU, 1GB RAM, and 1 TB of storage at HostHatch. There was a 3-year upfront payment option of $65, which roughly translates to $1.81 per month.

I signed up for the deal and managed to set up my VPS using Termius on my phone. I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing, but I simply followed the Swizzin guide.

Fortunately, it was fairly easy. I even registered a domain and used Cloudflare. Now, I have a seedbox and WireGuard VPN. On the downside, Jellyfin is a bit sluggish and not usable. Perhaps it needs an additional CPU and another 2GB of RAM.

Although I'm a bit worried that at some point, after patching and installing updates via Webmin, I might end up breaking something, it's been six months and everything is running smoothly. If worst comes to worst, I can always reinstall.

Comments

• Ok

• running a seedbox on a storage server is a crappy thing to do to your neighbors.

you also shouldn't be updating through webmin, but instead use the box update/upgrade command.

• DojobDojob Member

@jugganuts said:
    running a seedbox on a storage server is a crappy thing to do to your neighbors.

you also shouldn't be updating through webmin, but instead use the box update/upgrade command.

I did ask the provider and they didn't have a problem. I also don't hammer the server.

Thanks will look into the update and upgrade commands

• Definitely not a good neighbor :(

• jugganutsjugganuts Member
    edited June 2023

@Dojob said:

@jugganuts said:
    running a seedbox on a storage server is a crappy thing to do to your neighbors.

I did ask the provider and they didn't have a problem. I also don't hammer the server.

Thanks will look into the update and upgrade commands

ah then they threw you on a seedbox bare metal server then. good luck getting decent performance.

Thanked by 1Dojob
  • @jugganuts said:

Using shared resources makes other people have fewer resources.

More news at 11

• At HostHatch, it might matter what you're seeding...

As for webmin, I gave up on it years ago because it kept breaking on updates with minimal usage and nothing complex. Had to seek webmin Dev help to repair and he had no clue how it happened. Both times were Perl shenanigans related.

• @CyberneticTitan said:

@jugganuts said:

Using shared resources makes other people have fewer resources.

More news at 11

Thanked by 1jugganuts
  • emghemgh Member

What resources are we talking about?

Bandwidth and storage is paid for

CPU is highly dependant on transcoding or not

No need to go full attack mode, one can simply point out: Please don’t transcode too much on a shared core

Thanked by 2Dojob yoursunny
  • y'all are toxic

• @jugganuts said:
    y'all are toxic

If you're not going to post Britney with that, don't even bother. :D