Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox Virtual Environment 8.0 with Debian 12 "Bookworm" released
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox Virtual Environment 8.0 with Debian 12 "Bookworm" released

https://www.proxmox.com/en/news/press-releases/proxmox-virtual-environment-8-0

Further highlights in Proxmox Virtual Environment 8.0

• New Ceph Enterprise repository: Proxmox Virtual Environment fully integrates Ceph Quincy, allowing to run and manage Ceph storage directly from any of the cluster nodes and to easily setup and manage a hyper-converged infrastructure. The Ceph source code is packaged by the Proxmox development team and—after extensive tests—delivered in the stable Enterprise repository. This unifies the delivery of Ceph with other components of Proxmox VE. With version 8.0, all Proxmox customers with an active subscription can now access the stable Ceph Enterprise repository recommended for production environments.
  • Authentication realm sync jobs: The synchronization of users and groups for LDAP-based realms (LDAP & Microsoft Active Directory), can now be configured to run automatically at regular intervals. This simplifies management, and removes a source for configuration errors and omissions compared to synchronizing the realm manually.
  • Network resources defined for Software-defined Networking (SDN) are now also available as objects in the access control subsystem (ACL) of Proxmox VE. It is possible to grant fine-grained permissions for host network bridges and VNets to specific users and groups.
  • Resource mappings: Mappings between resources, such as PCI(e) or USB devices, and nodes in a Proxmox VE cluster, can now be created and managed in the API and the web interface. VM guests can get such an abstract resource assigned, which can be matched with concrete resources on each node. This enables offline migrations for VMs with passed-through devices. The mappings are also represented in the ACL system of Proxmox VE, allowing a user to be granted access to one or more specific devices, without requiring root access. In case a conflicting entry is detected, e.g. due to address changes or overlaps, users are informed on VM start.
  • Secure lockout for Two-factor authentication/TOTP: To further improve security, user accounts with too many login attempts - failing the second factor authentication - are locked out. This protects against attacks where the user password is obtained and a brute-force guess is attempted on the second factor. If TFA fails too many times in a row, the user account is locked out for one hour. If TOTP failed too many times in a row, TOTP is disabled for the user account. The user account can be unlocked again with a recovery key, or manually by an administrator.
  • Text-based user interface (TUI) for the installer ISO: A text-based user interface has been added and can now be used optionally to gather all required information. This eliminates issues when launching the GTK-based graphical installer that sometimes occur on very new as well as rather old hardware.
  • The x86-64-v2-AES model is the new default CPU type for VMs created via the web interface. It provides important extra features over the qemu64/kvm64, and improves performance of many computing operations.
Thanked by 4ehab Erisa zGato lala_th

Comments

• wii747wii747 Member

Thanks. Time to upgrade my servers. That was a quick beta period

• UmairUmair Member

I am considering to switch to Proxmox from Vurtualizor (for my small setup).
    How difficult is the learning curve for it ??

Are there any other/better options ?? I do need to test them myself (obviously)

• wii747wii747 Member

Why would you want to switch to Vurtualizor, proxmox is free to use, Vurtualizor you will have to pay for it.

• ZreindZreind Member

@wii747 said:
    Why would you want to switch to Vurtualizor, proxmox is free to use, Vurtualizor you will have to pay for it.

He want to switch to Proxmox from Virtualizor. not reverse.

• @Umair said:

It's super easy! I'm a machinist and I am able to create a cluster for my business with it

Thanked by 1Umair
  • UmairUmair Member

@hades_corps said:
    It's super easy! I'm a machinist and I am able to create a cluster for my business with it

Haha .. That's reassuring :)

One of the main reason I am considering to switch is the amazing integration of Proxmox Backup server. (They both work really good).

Also the way Vurtualizor is doing their licensing now (Different version and the introduction of Backuply). I am concerned how it will go in the long run.

For my "standard" use case, I think it will work just fine.
    (Or I might still keep using Vurtualizor on current setup and go with Proxmox on new one)

• LeviLevi Member

@hades_corps said:

@Umair said:

Machinist? Like trains?

• @LTniger said:

@hades_corps said:

Machinist? Like trains?

I don't do trains. Machinist just means I can use all machines in a mechanical workshop. I trained 'classically' as in I can make my own tools, measurement devices, and build/rebuild machines. Though nowaday our business is unrelated!

@Umair said:

@hades_corps said:

Haha .. That's reassuring :)

One of the main reason I am considering to switch is the amazing integration of Proxmox Backup server. (They both work really good).

Also the way Vurtualizor is doing their licensing now (Different version and the introduction of Backuply). I am concerned how it will go in the long run.

For my "standard" use case, I think it will work just fine.
    (Or I might still keep using Vurtualizor on current setup and go with Proxmox on new one)

Backup server is awesome! You don't even need to add it to the cluster to use it. I also have a node that is both PVE and Backup Server (not recommended by Proxmox) but so far it works perfectly.

Most computer in my house is on PVE as well!