Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking Oklahoma VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking Oklahoma VPS

Looking Oklahoma VPS

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2023

Gotta got to WHT for that request.. any VPS in Oklahoma is probably gonna be $50/m+. I've been around this stuff for like 10 years and never heard of a company selling servers in Oklahoma lmao. Makes no sense. Maybe look at VPN providers with Oklahoma locations and try to figure out what DC they're in, then contact the DC for recommendations on clients.

Edit: If you end up wanting something in Dallas send me a PM with your price range and requirements. From me testing random IPs, 15ms to northern Oklahoma.

Thanked by 1malitoowned
  • Can't you just get one in dallas the ping should be good enough in oklahoma

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

There are not that many DCs in OK I believe.

If you manage to find providers selling VPSes in any of them, they're not going to be cheap.

If you don't really need it to be in OK and it's more of just a latency preference, you should be fine with something in Kansas City, or Dallas.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MikeA said:
    Gotta got to WHT for that request.. any VPS in Oklahoma is probably gonna be $50/m+. I've been around this stuff for like 10 years and never heard of a company selling servers in Oklahoma lmao. Makes no sense. Maybe look at VPN providers with Oklahoma locations and try to figure out what DC they're in, then contact the DC for recommendations on clients.

We did run an offer from a provider called ArcticHost two years ago that was offering dedis in OKC. But they deadpooled.

@szymonp said: Can't you just get one in dallas the ping should be good enough in oklahoma

This. It's only 200mi and Dallas is one of the most network-rich locations in North America.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • alt_alt_ Member
    edited June 2023

Here is what I found:
    https://rack59.com/
    https://www.kvchosting.net/
    https://onenet.net/

Please note that while these providers may offer hosting services in Oklahoma, I suggest considering a provider with a data centre in Kansas for potentially better value and connectivity.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited June 2023

@DP said:
    There are not that many DCs in OK I believe.

If you manage to find providers selling VPSes in any of them, they're not going to be cheap.

If you don't really need it to be in OK and it's more of just a latency preference, you should be fine with something in Kansas City, or Dallas.

People in Kansas City get routed through Dallas for most things.

OP: for all of the Midwest the answer is Dallas.

Thanked by 1DP
  • Yup, DFW is probably the best bet for connectivity to the midwest. Whilst there is undoubtedly datacenters in OKC, I can't recall of any of them offering dedi/vps's to the public.

• I would go with Dallas or Kansas City which @terrahost and @SmartHost both have servers there.

Thanked by 1terrahost
  • I was looking to colo some hardware in Tulsa or OKC. I'm 2 hrs from Tulsa, 3hrs from OKC, 4hrs from Dallas and KC, and the cost was about 4x what it cost me to drive to Dallas to service my own servers. I ended up with colo in Dallas and am looking at adding KC.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited June 2023

@ordinanceb said:
    I was looking to colo some hardware in Tulsa or OKC. I'm 2 hrs from Tulsa, 3hrs from OKC, 4hrs from Dallas and KC, and the cost was about 4x what it cost me to drive to Dallas to service my own servers. I ended up with colo in Dallas and am looking at adding KC.

My guy... going to Tulsa and getting shot over cheap colo is not worth it.

Thanked by 1ordinanceb
  • jtkjtk Member

FAQ says their servers are in other state. Test addresses point to liquidweb. Probably not going to work.

That is for research, education, and public institutions, they don't provide commercial service.

• alt_alt_ Member

@jtk said:

FAQ says their servers are in other state. Test addresses point to liquidweb. Probably not going to work.

That is for research, education, and public institutions, they don't provide commercial service.

Oh well, ChatGPT helped me find this. If it doesn't work, then nevermind. Wholesale Internet sales really cheap dedicateds in Kansas btw.

• @alt_ said:

@jtk said:

Oh well, ChatGPT helped me find this. If it doesn't work, then nevermind. Wholesale Internet sales really cheap dedicateds in Kansas btw.

As someone that used to live in KCK and has tried almost every provider there, do not use Wholesale or Nocix.

You'll find a better experience at Joes:

https://joesdatacenter.com/

Seriously.

• @SirFoxy said:

@alt_ said:

@jtk said:

As someone that used to live in KCK and has tried almost every provider there, do not use Wholesale or Nocix.

Seriously.

What's wrong with Wholesale Internet and NOCIX? Besides it used to be awful as Datashack back in the day, I haven't heard of any issues recently.

I've been trying to get into KC, specifically NOCIX, but almost every provider I've contacted there is out of power and NOCIX doesn't have the capacity to give or wants prohibitively too much for it. INCX was the main one I was hoping for.

AugustInternet is in NOCIX and has space and capacity, but I keep seeing mixed negative reviews.

Terrahost is in LightEdge Cave DC but the Epik fiasco has me hesitant.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited June 2023

@ordinanceb said:

@SirFoxy said:

@alt_ said:

@jtk said:

Seriously.

What's wrong with Wholesale Internet and NOCIX? Besides it used to be awful as Datashack back in the day, I haven't heard of any issues recently.

I've been trying to get into KC, specifically NOCIX, but almost every provider I've contacted there is out of power and NOCIX doesn't have the capacity to give or wants prohibitively too much for it. INCX was the main one I was hoping for.

AugustInternet is in NOCIX and has space and capacity, but I keep seeing mixed negative reviews.

The time period I'm talking about is a bit removed, I don't live in KC anymore, but at the time... yeah, my experience with Nocix (and wholesale, their other brands) was not good. A lot of random downtime, power outages, just an ok network.

My real recommendation is to skip KC entirely and colo in Dallas. When living in KC most of my routing would literally go to Dallas and back to KC. It was like 25ms to Dallas and 48ms to Nocix when I was a couple of miles down the street, seriously.

I would probably avoid Terra for now, too, so I don't blame you.

• @SirFoxy said:

@ordinanceb said:

@SirFoxy said:

@alt_ said:

@jtk said:

Seriously.

The time period I'm talking about is a bit removed, I don't live in KC anymore, but at the time... yeah, my experience with Nocix (and wholesale, their other brands) was not good. A lot of random downtime, power outages, just an ok network.

My real recommendation is to skip KC entirely and colo in Dallas. When living in KC most of my routing would literally go to Dallas and back to KC. It was like 25ms to Dallas and 48ms to Nocix when I was a couple of miles down the street, seriously.

I would probably avoid Terra for now, too, so I don't blame you.

Joes is the only place I could personally recommend in KC, though.

I've got colo in multiple DCs in Dallas, but none of the providers seem to be able to touch 10g (even burstable) at a decent price point, whereas most in KC are happy to hand it to you at their base price point. I've got a multi-gig home connection with great peering to both DAL and KC is really the only reason I want 10G. I can justify idling my redundant backup servers at home, but not in a DC yet.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • jtkjtk Member

@SirFoxy said:

I've found the three to be more or less equivalent. Be aware that Joe's was sold and may be operating quite a bit differently than before. https://joesdatacenter.com/patmos-hosting-completes-acquisition-of-joes-datacenter/

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @jtk said:

@SirFoxy said:

I've found the three to be more or less equivalent. Be aware that Joe's was sold and may be operating quite a bit differently than before. https://joesdatacenter.com/patmos-hosting-completes-acquisition-of-joes-datacenter/

I was just looking at their colo page and all of it was set to "sold out" anyways. Would probably steer clear knowing they were just sold early 2023.

• @SirFoxy said: When living in KC most of my routing would literally go to Dallas and back to KC.

I take it you where using TWC/RR/Spectrum? If so, i can be proud to tell you that it hasn't been changed still. Not a fault to any other datacenter or ISP out there - its just some antiquated topology they have from the late 1990's that hasn't been touched since the days of roadrunner. A forever feeder to DFW.50-60ms ping anywhere is pretty much as low as you can get it. :(

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • neel_qeruneel_qeru Member, Host Rep

@CheepCluck said:
    I take it you where using TWC/RR/Spectrum? If so, i can be proud to tell you that it hasn't been changed still. Not a fault to any other datacenter or ISP out there - its just some antiquated topology they have from the late 1990's that hasn't been touched since the days of roadrunner. A forever feeder to DFW.50-60ms ping anywhere is pretty much as low as you can get it. :(

Don't live in KC, but if you do live in KC, look at Google Fiber or AT&T Fiber if available. Maybe before ordering, ask someone on Reddit/DSLReports to do a traceroute to your DC.

Spectrum may be a monopoly where you live, however, and AT&T may only give you DSL.

• CheepCluckCheepCluck Member
    edited June 2023

@neel_qeru said: Don't live in KC, but if you do live in KC, look at Google Fiber or AT&T Fiber if available

I use AT&T for my phone, thats all I will do. The best AT&T would do for home internet was a 50Mbit up/download, but 1TB/mo.
    Being a customer of their home internet before, I can vouch that the network is great, pretty low latency across the country and best bit is that its very stable. I can expect one of the crusty LAG's from Spectrum would break and the network would stutter/shutdown for hours.
    But the limited download and the limited bandwidth made it really easy to pass up.
    If I had google fiber who would offer 2.5G/5G, unlimited bandwidth and a generally stable network, I'd 100% go that route.

• @CheepCluck said:

@SirFoxy said: When living in KC most of my routing would literally go to Dallas and back to KC.

Spectrum and Cox. Both are crusty white dog shit… honestly though, I rank Cox an inch above on the shit tier shelf.

Thanked by 1CheepCluck
    edited June 2023

@CheepCluck said:

@neel_qeru said: Don't live in KC, but if you do live in KC, look at Google Fiber or AT&T Fiber if available

I use AT&T for my phone, thats all I will do. The best AT&T would do for home internet was a 50Mbit up/download, but 1TB/mo.
    Being a customer of their home internet before, I can vouch that the network is great, pretty low latency across the country and best bit is that its very stable. I can expect one of the crusty LAG's from Spectrum would break and the network would stutter/shutdown for hours.
    But the limited download and the limited bandwidth made it really easy to pass up.
    If I had google fiber who would offer 2.5G/5G, unlimited bandwidth and a generally stable network, I'd 100% go that route.

Never had AT&T, but as a current CenturyLink Fiber and a former Verizon FiOS user, the peering has been great on both ISPs. That's an advantage of a "Tier 1" network.

I had Astound (then Wave) when I first moved to Seattle and the peering sucked, meaning I got 10-30 Mbps to servers across the country instead of 100-500 Mbps which most other networks (both ISP and hosting) do.

edited June 2023

Oklahoma isn't a common location for a VPS, but if you're okay with Dallas, Qeru's upstreams have peering with many ISPs including Comcast, Spectrum, Verizon, Frontier, T-Mobile, Astound, Ziply, and more, so you're likely to get low latency to your ISP. If you PM with your requirements I can give you a special offer.

You could ping/traceroute the IP address 23.151.232.4 (out test IP) to see if the peering is acceptable.

• Thanks all i find a solution here!!!