Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD 96 core CPU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD 96 core CPU

SirNeoSirNeo Member

What do you think about this new cpu announced by AMD?

During the AMD data center & AI technology premiere, AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su announced a multitude of different AI-related hardware and software that AMD has been working on. One of the most impressive of which is the new AMD Genoa-X CPU with over 1GB of L3 cache! AMD announces 96 Core CPU with over 1GB of cache

source https://www.wepc.com/news/amd-announces-128-core-cpu-with-over-1gb-of-cache/

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2023

(my $AMD stock is down almost) $7 (a share)

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited June 2023

@SirNeo said: AMD announces 96 Core CPU with over 1GB of cache

Great efficiency there...

Thanked by 1Merakith
  • LeviLevi Member

1GB of L3 cache. Can it be used to boot os?

Thanked by 1drizbo
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Baseclock of 2,4Ghz is quite good considering how many cores it has

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited June 2023

@v3ng said: Baseclock of 2,4Ghz is quite good considering how many cores it has

Yeah, with all core boost up 3.55Ghz.

The "Bergamo"

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

It's always a compromise between many cores or fewer cores with higher frequency.
    If you actually need that many cores this chip must be a beast.

• microsoft will buy in big?

• Otus9051Otus9051 Member
    edited June 2023

@LTniger said:
    1GB of L3 cache. Can it be used to boot os?

that'd be:
    1. damn fast if someone gets it to work
    2. very weird as how tf will the cpu interact

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/5zvc3d/os_on_cache/

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@cybertech said:
    microsoft will buy in big?

Amazon has been questioning it.

• Intel needs to get its act together. AMD is comfortably increasing its market share. We need competition, or else AMD will become the next Intel.

Thanked by 1v3ng
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

Always loving these beastly systems. It's great when customers order them. We toyed around with the idea on using some for some crazy VM nodes.

• emghemgh Member

@Merakith said:
    Intel needs to get its act together. AMD is comfortably increasing its market share. We need competition, or else AMD will become the next Intel.

Intel has components with very good value

It’s not even glose to how Intel & AMD was before

i5-13500

i9-13900

Before, Intel had like 4790K

And AMD had Opteron …

• @emgh said: Before, Intel had like 4790K

And AMD had Opteron …

in my honest opinion it would be better off to compare a 4790K to a FX9590. The 4790K was a great processor, the FX9590 was a great space heater.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited June 2023

@CheepCluck said:

@emgh said: Before, Intel had like 4790K

And AMD had Opteron …

in my honest opinion it would be better off to compare a 4790K to a FX9590. The 4790K was a great processor, the FX9590 was a great space heater.

I had an FX 8350 for like 6 years. Awesome CPU, could definitely heat a room tho.

• @emgh said: Intel has components with very good value

There is no doubt about that. Problem is Intel's production capabilities which are lagging behind TSMC by a huge margin. It does not matter if you have the best cpu if you cannot deliver it in large quantities. AMD is able to deliver lot more in the server market. Server market is the bread and butter for these companies.

• @Merakith said:

@emgh said: Intel has components with very good value

There is no doubt about that. Problem is Intel's production capabilities which are lagging behind TSMC by a huge margin. It does not matter if you have the best cpu if you cannot deliver it in large quantities. AMD is able to deliver lot more in the server market. Server market is the bread and butter for these companies.

The bread and butter is graphics cards, Nvidia to be specific.

• BabakBabak Member, Patron Provider

What will be the main Usage for this CPU?

Thanked by 1TrendyJack
  • @Babak said:

Wondering what would be the pricing B)

• SirNeoSirNeo Member

@Babak said:

Servers, streaming services or just to be splitted in lots of VPSes

• emghemgh Member
    edited June 2023

@Babak said:

I though about this and the most common high CPU usage task I know about in companies big enough to need this is databases

But they wouldn’t scale very well across cores like this (at least not MySQL & MariaDB) I don’t think, and even then, I think smaller host nodes in a cluster probably makes more sense

So I guess I came to the conclusion that most probably we’re talking virtualization

But then it kind of has to maintain good value, because for most virtualization situations, having one server with 96 cores might be nice, but might not be worth paying a lot more for compared to 2 48 core servers or 4 24 core servers. At this price point I’d imagine (with exceptione of course) that saving a few U’s isn’t very important

Obviously it is if you got a datacenter with physically limited space

• @Babak said: What will be the main Usage for this CPU?

idling.

• ZreindZreind Member

@TrendyJack said:

@Babak said: What will be the main Usage for this CPU?

idling.

Like every low-ender :D

Thanked by 1TrendyJack
  • @Babak said:

AI. This isn't intended for web hosting, per se.

• BabakBabak Member, Patron Provider

@emgh said:

@Babak said:

I though about this and the most common high CPU usage task I know about in companies big enough to need this is databases

But they wouldn’t scale very well across cores like this (at least not MySQL & MariaDB) I don’t think, and even then, I think smaller host nodes in a cluster probably makes more sense

So I guess I came to the conclusion that most probably we’re talking virtualization

But then it kind of has to maintain good value, because for most virtualization situations, having one server with 96 cores might be nice, but might not be worth paying a lot more for compared to 2 48 core servers or 4 24 core servers. At this price point I’d imagine (with exceptione of course) that saving a few U’s isn’t very important

Obviously it is if you got a datacenter with physically limited space

when we are speaking of Virtualization there are bottlenecks to be considered so just CPU power will not be the factor.