Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 12 and Virtualizor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 12 and Virtualizor

UmairUmair Member

Hello,

I was setting up a new VPS and I thought I will give Debian 12 a try. So I downloaded the template from Virtualizor (Template Browser). But it's just wont install. It gives error after 40% installation that it can not resize the disk.

(This is a fresh VM setup and there is no issue with the Server)
Anyone manage to install Debian 12 with Virtualizor ?? May be there is an issue with the template they have provided. Is there any other reliable source I can use to download Debian 12 template for KVM ?

Or should I stick with Debian 11 for now?

Thanks

Comments

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@neel_qeru did something recently for deb 12

Thanked by 2neel_qeru Umair
  • neel_qeruneel_qeru Member, Host Rep

@FatGrizzly said:
    @neel_qeru did something recently for deb 12

The thing I did is take the Debian 11 image, manually upgrade it to Debian 12, and then make a Virtualizor image out of it. If the Virtualizor image doesn't work, try this.

Virtualizor also had a broken /etc/apt/sources.list so I had to fix it too.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2023

That is a known issue with Virtualizor's Debian 12 template, at least on Ubuntu 22.04 hosts (20.04 doesn't have the resize issue but VM shows a grub error on boot), more host OS's may be affected.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • UmairUmair Member

@SpartanHost said:
    That is a known issue with Virtualizor's Debian 12 template, at least on Ubuntu 22.04 hosts (20.04 doesn't have the resize issue but VM shows a grub error on boot), more host OS's may be affected.

Yeah it looks like an issue with their template. I manually upgraded Deb 11 to 12 and that worked fine.
    It's official template, should not have such issue.

And getting support from Virtualizor about anything is really hard ...

I am wondering if I should consider switch to Proxmox with my new setup. (Have always used CentOS/RedHat so Virtualizor was an obvious choice back in the day)

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2023

@Umair said:

@SpartanHost said:

Yeah it looks like an issue with their template. I manually upgraded Deb 11 to 12 and that worked fine.
    It's official template, should not have such issue.

I am wondering if I should consider switch to Proxmox with my new setup. (Have always used CentOS/RedHat so Virtualizor was an obvious choice back in the day)

If you don't need to provide end user management access to the VMs then I'd definitely consider Proxmox, it's my default go-to in that scenario. Doesn't necessarily help in this case though in the fact you then get no pre-provided templates at all.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • UmairUmair Member

@SpartanHost said:
    If you don't need to provide end user management access to the VMs then I'd definitely consider Proxmox, it's my default go-to in that scenario. Doesn't necessarily help in this case though in the fact you then get no pre-provided templates at all.

I am not a traditional hosting provider so I really do not need to provide access to end user. The panel is just for me (to make my life easier).

I have been evaluating ProxMox Backup server and I am impressed.
    That's one reason I am testing Debian because installing PBS client for newer CentOS/Almalinux is just PIA. With Debian/Ubuntu, its easy peasy ...

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@Umair said:

@SpartanHost said:

You can just open a ticket. They're pretty quick in our experience.

• neel_qeruneel_qeru Member, Host Rep

@MannDude said:
    You can just open a ticket. They're pretty quick in our experience.

Even if their support is quick, a lot is left to be desired. They claimed my Debian apt repo issue was easy to solve, even when it was in their images used by many people. I had to make custom Debian 11/12 images because of this.

• Installed Debian 12, but not with a virtualizer.

• emghemgh Member

@aakashmishra007 said:
    Installed Debian 12, but not with a virtualizer.

I have a computer but it’s not Linux

• suutsuut Member

Has the Debian 12 template issue with Virtualizor been fixed?

• UmairUmair Member

@suut said:

Nope. Their Almalinux 9.2 doesn't work as well.
    I sent a ticket to their support and they said they have not "officially" released them yet.
    I don't know what that means since they even made a blog post about it

• lucaatlucaat Member

I also run Virtualizor and both the Debian 12 and Alma 9 images work as expected. No issues.

• suutsuut Member

@Umair said:

@suut said:

Nope. Their Almalinux 9.2 doesn't work as well.
    I sent a ticket to their support and they said they have not "officially" released them yet.
    I don't know what that means since they even made a blog post about it

The bug has been fixed.

Thanked by 1Umair