Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If there was an all-in-one panel for hostings, would you use it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If there was an all-in-one panel for hostings, would you use it?

BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep
edited June 2023 in General

Hello!

I am thinking of making an all-in-one panel for hosting companies.
It will basicly be a combination of:

• DirectAdmin / cPanel
  • Virtualizor / VirtFusion / SolusVM
  • WHMCS
  • Pterodactyl panel (for gameservers)
  • Hetrixtools / Uptimerobot / Netdata (for uptime and server monitoring)

If such a panel would exists, would you use it?

If you own or work for a hosting company, could you please fill in this form?
https://forms.gle/qjhqhvRXymHwpTKJA

With kind regards,
BasToTheMax

Comments

• can i participate (not a hosting company)

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

@Otus9051 said:

can i participate (not a hosting company)

No problem. I prefer hosting companies, but everyone can participate.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

I'm sorry, but I do not think that your form will give you much useful information.
    For example, asking someone how much they are willing to pay for a panel without them even seeing the panel or knowing what it can do will probably give you an estimate somewhere between a million dollar and nothing.

Thanked by 2yoursunny Talistech
  • BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

@rcy026 said:
    I'm sorry, but I do not think that your form will give you much useful information.
    For example, asking someone how much they are willing to pay for a panel without them even seeing the panel or knowing what it can do will probably give you an estimate somewhere between a million dollar and nothing.

Hi. Thanks for your feedback. Pricing isn't my top priority right now, I just want to know if there are people interested in using such a panel.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@BasToTheMax said:

@rcy026 said:

Hi. Thanks for your feedback. Pricing isn't my top priority right now, I just want to know if there are people interested in using such a panel.

Again, that is impossible to answer without knowing what it can do.
    If it works well and solves all my problems, then of course I will use it.
    If it's a bloated pos riddled with bugs, then no, I will not use it.

People are using DA, cPanel, WHMCS etc so obviously there is a need for panels. If your panel really can do everything every other panel can do without being a bloated, expensive piece of shit, then of course people will use it. That is not even a question.
    The question is if your panel really can do that. And no offense, but I doubt we will ever see such a panel at a reasonable cost.

Thanked by 1Talistech
  • Jack_SBEJack_SBE Member, Patron Provider

Short answer - No,

There are a lot of options on the market that already try to be an "all in one" solution. The integration is nice but ultimately rather than doing one thing really well, you end up doing 5 things really poorly.

Mixing things like networking monitoring in with your deployment portal + billing panel doesn't make sense from a stack perspective. You'd effectively be running everything in one place (your single point of failure).

Companies that care about the synergy of having an all-in-one product will put in the time and effort to develop their own in-house systems that they can customize and control without the faff of more licensing fees.

Creating a system that was more modular and allowed you to run it in an array of Micro-Services would be better for this kind of operation, would allow companies to scale certain aspects of the application in certain places. If you make this then you'd better be making it open source and free because OpenStack already exists with plenty of integrations to battle-tested (low cost) billing platforms so you'd be loosing your only selling point.

Thanked by 2rcy026 RickBakkr
  • therawtheraw Member

have you ever seen how these panels run when there is too many users/services created? you want to put all that in one server?

• rcy026rcy026 Member

I have no idea how far along you are with this project or if you are even serious about it, but if you are, here's my advice.

Keep it simple. Build separate "modules" or instances or whatever that handles one thing. One for deployment, one for billing, one for helpdesk etc. Make every part talk to other parts via API's, and document these API's and keep them open so that providers can easily hook in their own solutions and functions. Also, make whatever panel you create able to speak to DA, WHMCS, cPanel etc so that your solution can plug into existing solutions without having to start from scratch. If you can do this and make it all work efficiently and seamlessly, you might have a shoot.

And keep monitoring out of it, completely. If you solve everything else to perfection and has absolutely nothing else to do with your time, make some dashboards that can talk to Hetrix/pingdom/kuma or whatever and display the data in a nice way. But do not try to integrate the monitoring itself into your product, there is absolutely nothing good about that idea, it just screams bloated before you even started it.