Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supermicro finally making ryzen servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Supermicro finally making ryzen servers

zakkuunozakkuuno Member

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/system/microcloud/3u/as-3015mr-h8tnr

It looks like they will launch a ryzen 7000 based server soon, and it’s a microcloud, which means high deployment density. I’ve heard a few years ago that intel was paying supermicro to not make ryzen servers. Will this launch change the entry level server market?

Thanked by 1kasodk

Comments

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

Price them out, they aren't cheap.

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

They only come as prebuilds, they're more expensive than a DIY solution. I've seen some early quotes coming around 15k$ for basic 7900x's with 32g memory.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@wdmg said:
    They only come as prebuilds, they're more expensive than a DIY solution. I've seen some early quotes coming around 15k$ for basic 7900x's with 32g memory.

That’s crazy

• Especially considering that Ryzen is desktop CPU. You can call this Supermicro workstation, servers would use Epyc CPU.

Nothing against Ryzens, of course, they're amazing, but...

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • emghemgh Member

@maverick said:
    Especially considering that Ryzen is desktop CPU. You can call this Supermicro workstation, servers would use Epyc CPU.

No, that’s a server

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • Seems you can only have up to 8 nodes on that machine? Screw the 3.5" bays give us one with a full fat 16 nodes.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

It's about time. Their definitely seems to be high demand for Ryzens.

Thanked by 2emgh zakkuuno
  • emghemgh Member

@Arkas said:
    It's about time. Their definitely seems to be high demand for Ryzens.

Although, that price..

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@emgh said: Although, that price..

It's seems off. It will probably adjust over time (I hope).

Thanked by 2emgh zakkuuno
  • AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

Will be interesting to see the sustained clockspeeds and temperatures given the Xeon E Rocket Lake E-23**'s thermal throttle in the Supermicro Microclouds.

• @AllHost_Ben said:
    Will be interesting to see the sustained clockspeeds and temperatures given the Xeon E Rocket Lake E-23**'s thermal throttle in the Supermicro Microclouds.

They marked TDP up to 170W. Those cpus will run hot but zen4 is quite power efficient too so I’d expect some pretty good performance from them.

• @CyberneticTitan said:
    Seems you can only have up to 8 nodes on that machine? Screw the 3.5" bays give us one with a full fat 16 nodes.

They probably did that for better airflow to each node? We might see more options in the next gen if this gen goes well.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@maverick said:
    Especially considering that Ryzen is desktop CPU. You can call this Supermicro workstation, servers would use Epyc CPU.

The Ryzen 7000 line is how a direct competitor against the Xeon E. There's now a dedicated server grade chipset directly from AMD.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

about time they started doing ryzen servers!

• @wdmg said:

let them make em first then wait for inventory sales