Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a cheap VPS to run a Wireguard VPN server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a cheap VPS to run a Wireguard VPN server

Hi,

I'm basically looking for whatever will work out cheapest and have good uptime
I'm looking to set up a VPN on a VPS, and am looking for something that will meet the following criteria
1. dedicated IPv4 and allow full control over the ports
2. 1gbps speeds, if higher is available then even better, and unmetered or practically unmetered traffic
3. hardware that will actually let me reach those speeds with wireguard
4. crypto payments and no KYC
5. no DMCA, within reason, I plan to make the VPN public to some extent
6. based in the EU

how much ram and what kind of CPU power will I need to take advantage of the gbps or higher network speeds?

I came across the buyvm 512 slice for $2, or similar offers from dedipath (US only unfortunately) as well as some others, I still haven't looked into their payment methods or KYC requirements.
will 1 or 2 vCPU cores and 0.5 - 2 gb of ram be enough for this? don't need anything other than the VPN running on the server

What should I expect something like this to cost me, what kind of specs would I need, and what providers are worth considering for my usecase?
If I can keep the cost down under $2 a month it'd be great, but willing to pay whatever it'll actually cost

hope general is the right category for this, if not then I'd appreciate if you could tell me where to move it to.

thanks in advance

Comments

• hostarishostaris Member
    edited June 2023

We can offer something that might fit your needs, although for crypto payments there is a fee so we'd advise you to pay in advance.

1GB DDR4 RAM
    1vCore (Ryzen 9 5900X/5950X)
    10GB NVMe SSD
    Unmetered bandwidth @ 1Gbps
    1 IPv4 & /64 IPv6
    Kettering, United Kingdom, and Frankfurt, Germany

£2/month

VPNs don't use many resources other than bandwidth, so you should be good with this.

Looking Glass: https://lg.de-1-fra.sys.hostaris.com
    Test IP: 45.158.9.2

Order -> https://deploy.hostaris.com

You'll have to contact support to make a deposit via crypto.

• toohietoohie Member

You can basically use almost every cheap hoster, they, usually dont require kyc and wireguard can run pretty much on any hardware. BuyVM is definetly a good option, otherwise if you want to further info you can also look at kycnot.me, but those are often a bit more expensive.

• @hostaris said:
    We can offer something that might fit your needs, although for crypto payments there is a fee so we'd advise you to pay in advance.

1GB DDR4 RAM
    1vCore (Ryzen 9 5900X/5950X)
    10GB NVMe SSD
    Unmetered bandwidth @ 1Gbps
    1 IPv4 & /64 IPv6
    Kettering, United Kingdom, and Frankfurt, Germany

£2/month

VPNs don't use many resources other than bandwidth, so you should be good with this.

Looking Glass: https://lg.de-1-fra.sys.hostaris.com
    Test IP: 45.158.9.2

Order -> https://deploy.hostaris.com

You'll have to contact support to make a deposit via crypto.

I see, thanks
    what kind of extra fee is required?
    The reason I'm a bit worried about the hardware side is that routers, even x86 based ones, don't perform amazing as a VPN client, and many of them aren't able to pass the 1gbps mark, even with a 4 core x86 chip for example. I guess it might be because of other factors as well though
    but it's good to know at least the server side doesn't require much.

• @toohie said:
    You can basically use almost every cheap hoster, they, usually dont require kyc and wireguard can run pretty much on any hardware. BuyVM is definetly a good option, otherwise if you want to further info you can also look at kycnot.me, but those are often a bit more expensive.

I had a look at kycnot a bit back, but as you said everything there is quite a bit more expensive
    what cheap hosters would you recommend looking at? I'm fairly new to hosting stuff on VPSs and don't know which providers would fit the bill
    should I just go for whatever cheapest plan I see that fits the requirements? assuming I see some good reviews around for the provider?

and where can I generally find the necessary info about DMCA?

• @Letter2k said:

I see, thanks
    what kind of extra fee is required?
    The reason I'm a bit worried about the hardware side is that routers, even x86 based ones, don't perform amazing as a VPN client, and many of them aren't able to pass the 1gbps mark, even with a 4 core x86 chip for example. I guess it might be because of other factors as well though
    but it's good to know at least the server side doesn't require much.

If the transaction is under £10, the fee is £0.99. This is imposed by Coinbase.

The fee is variable for any amount over £10.

Thanked by 1Letter2k
  • toohietoohie Member

@Letter2k said:
    I had a look at kycnot a bit back, but as you said everything there is quite a bit more expensive
    what cheap hosters would you recommend looking at? I'm fairly new to hosting stuff on VPSs and don't know which providers would fit the bill
    should I just go for whatever cheapest plan I see that fits the requirements? assuming I see some good reviews around for the provider?

I can recommend webhosting24 or racknerd.com, for both the cheapest tier is good, and that's usually the case (there's technically the need for billing information but ... well, no auth needed at least) you can also just search the forum and then either ask em about dmca here directly or via an on-site ticket. Usually, the policies are that the providers only respond to vaild court requests of the country they operate in.

• @toohie said:

@Letter2k said:

I can recommend webhosting24 or racknerd.com, for both the cheapest tier is good, and that's usually the case (there's technically the need for billing information but ... well, no auth needed at least) you can also just search the forum and then either ask em about dmca here directly or via an on-site ticket. Usually, the policies are that the providers only respond to vaild court requests of the country they operate in.

unfortunately they both seem to have limited traffic unfortunately, and while I don't plan on abusing unlimited, I plan on using a couple TB probably, but don't know to sign off on an exact number

do you have any other recommendations that would fit the bill? trying to delay/avoid the endless rabbit hole of digging through the forums if I can avoid it lol

• toohietoohie Member

@Letter2k said:

@toohie said:

@Letter2k said:

unfortunately they both seem to have limited traffic unfortunately, and while I don't plan on abusing unlimited, I plan on using a couple TB probably, but don't know to sign off on an exact number

you can run your torrenting client for a while

do you have any other recommendations that would fit the bill? trying to delay/avoid the endless rabbit hole of digging through the forums if I can avoid it lol

But yeah, can totally understand that, lemme just search my bookmarks

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

Expecting 1Gbps unmetered at $2 per month makes no sense, that is 330TB per month.
    provider takes loss.

• toohietoohie Member
    edited June 2023

@Abd unmetered is in fact the main problem.

@Letter2k have only found unmetered ones at around 5 dollars, sorry.

• @Abd said:
    Expecting 1Gbps unmetered at $2 per month makes no sense, that is 330TB per month.
    provider takes loss.

like I said above, I realistically will be using a couple TB, probably in the single digits
    I'd be fine with something like a 10TB cap or whatnot, I just don't know exactly how much I'll use, and don't wanna hit the limit. Most of the VPSs I saw that weren't unmetered offer anywhere from 100gb to 2tb, which isn't enough for me unfortunately,
    however as I said, options like buyvm are available, just out of stock mostly, there are also other's I've seen that offer "unmetered" as long as it isn't abused, so I'm looking for something of the sort

Thanked by 1Abd
  • @toohie said:

@Letter2k have only found ones at around 5 dollars, sorry.

what did you find? would something like a 10tb limit make a difference? unfortunately, pretty much everything I came across was 100gb-2tb limit if it wasn't advertised as unmetered

• toohietoohie Member

@Letter2k said:

@toohie said:

@Letter2k have only found ones at around 5 dollars, sorry.

what did you find? would something like a 10tb limit make a difference? unfortunately, pretty much everything I came across was 100gb-2tb limit if it wasn't advertised as unmetered

Biggest one I've found was 3TB, but it seems to be out of stock since for ever.

edited June 2023

In that case I can offer you NVME-KVM-2GB (Norway) with extra bandwidth at $2.5 per mo.

2GB DDR4 RAM , 30GB NVME , 7TB per month @ 10Gbit shared , Dedicated IPv4 + IPv6, Crypto available No KYC needed.

Coupon - 4DV5KIV762SP

PM for the extra bandwidth after order. :)

• @Abd said:
    In that case I can offer you NVME-KVM-2GB (Norway) with extra bandwidth at $2.5 per mo.

2GB DDR4 RAM , 30GB NVME , 7TB per month @ 10Gbit shared , Dedicated IPv4 + IPv6, Crypto available No KYC needed.

Coupon - 4DV5KIV762SP

website won't load unfortunately

• emg88emg88 Member
    edited June 2023

@Letter2k said:
    >

@Letter2k I have a few DMCA ignore low end VPS ; one option is @alexhost ( http://www.alexhost.com ) or iHostArt (http://www.ihostart.com ) @iHostART

@Letter2k said:

@Abd said:

Coupon - 4DV5KIV762SP

website won't load unfortunately

I'll PM you. We recently moved to BunnyCDN so I'm curious what could be wrong.

• @Letter2k said: I plan to make the VPN public to some extent

You providers should probably read this line coz most of you dont allow public vpn on your servers