Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we revolutionizing webhosting or are we dying from the start?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are we revolutionizing webhosting or are we dying from the start?

FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
edited June 2023 in Help

Hello!

Since I realized during the time with HAZI.ro that it is not really worth buying a CloudLinux and CPanel/DirectAdmin license to provide web services to my clients (while also ensuring a profit margin), it occurred to me a few months ago "Why isn't there an alternative to CloudLinux isolation via Docker or even K8s?".

I didn't manage to find out the answer, but in the last semester of the faculty I had a subject called "Cloud Computing" where I successfully implemented my bachelor's thesis (which I postponed until next year because the HAZI.ro migration messed me up) using K8S within the Google Cloud Platform and I can say it was beautiful.

I was able to implement by myself through NodeJS and Swagger a client to interact with the K8s cluster so that through my API I had the necessary endpoints to add a domain and different layers of protection, behind which the deployment updates were successfully carried out , security variables, etc.

My questions are:

• Would you buy a webhosting to receive FTP access and a control panel integrated in WHMCS, but without a dedicated web interface?
  • What obstacles do you see in such an implementation?

P.S. I'm trying to treat this topic seriously because next month I end my current contract as a DevOps engineer and I think this idea is a good alternative :)

Best regards, Florin.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2023

@FlorinMarian said:
    it occurred to me a few months ago "Why isn't there an alternative to CloudLinux isolation via Docker or even K8s?"

There is, they just aren't as popular as they are newer and not a two decade old panel such as cPanel. Look at Enhance, for example. docker web hosting platform.

• No.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@TimboJones said:
    No.

Easier with the arguments, please. I was not prepared to read so much text.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited June 2023

@FlorinMarian said: What obstacles do you see in such an implementation?

No standardized solution isn't most suitable for average Joe (ie. webhosting milking cows) because lack of straightforward migration among the hosts for them.

• OK

• emghemgh Member

EasyEngine runs on Docker

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • emghemgh Member

@FlorinMarian said:
    Hello!

P.S. I'm trying to treat this topic seriously because next month I end my current contract as a DevOps engineer and I think this idea is a good alternative :)

Best regards, Florin.

So Hazi full-time?🐶🐶

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@emgh said:

@FlorinMarian said:
    Hello!

Best regards, Florin.

So Hazi full-time?🐶🐶

Probably, we'll see.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • SirNeoSirNeo Member

From you i won't buy anything, so go on BestJobs and search for a job

Thanked by 10xOkami
  • dosaidosai Member

@SirNeo said:

Oof

Thanked by 10xOkami

@SirNeo said:

Thanks for the feedback, without you my thread wouldn't have made it back to the top posts :)

Thanked by 1emgh
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@FlorinMarian said:
    My questions are:

• Would you buy a webhosting to receive FTP access and a control panel integrated in WHMCS, but without a dedicated web interface?
    • What obstacles do you see in such an implementation?

My frank view is that standard webhosting is sufficiently inexpensive nowadays that general users would be reluctant to turn to a much less time-tested and much less convenient and much less familiar alternative/interface

I suspect that there are some technical users who would find your approach intriguing, but they may not be numerous enough for a real profit

Thanked by 2FlorinMarian Pixels
  • if you can't afford cPanel and CloudLinux license to make both you and clients life easier, you are doing something wrong.

Thanked by 1AndreiGhesi
  • sandozsandoz Veteran

Well. I usually don't give feedback here.

I saw many threads you did and wrote. Nothing wrong with that.

But don't be stupid. You are a owner of "Hosting Provider"

how is supposed that people here will buy from you?
    How is supposed them trust in you, if you don't even know how X or Y works best or not?
    Why people will buy from someone that doesn't know what to do, when and where?
    Asking stupids questions like this thread? Is supposed a new customer buy from you?

Of course if you don't offer control panel, you will make it more harder, there are people where who just want to put their website online and that's all. Not wasting time, not losing time to explore where is X or Y. In such cases they had used VPS don't think so?

You think that your thread is marketing for you. But in fact you are talking to the people (at least here) that you don't know how to run a business with such questions.

There is nothing wrong asking that questions but please be smart. You are just telling your "new customers" > "Hey we are Hazi.RO, we don't know what to do and what is best for you and us".

People won't trust. In fact you are just broking your marketing and your chances to sell here.

Sharing knowledge doesn't have anything wrong, but you being associated with your business and asking that things. What you expect that customers that might want to try your service will do? Run away...

Best wishes.

edited June 2023

@sandoz said:
    Well. I usually don't give feedback here.

I saw many threads you did and wrote. Nothing wrong with that.

But don't be stupid. You are a owner of "Hosting Provider"

how is supposed that people here will buy from you?
    How is supposed them trust in you, if you don't even know how X or Y works best or not?
    Why people will buy from someone that doesn't know what to do, when and where?
    Asking stupids questions like this thread? Is supposed a new customer buy from you?

Of course if you don't offer control panel, you will make it more harder, there are people where who just want to put their website online and that's all. Not wasting time, not losing time to explore where is X or Y. In such cases they had used VPS don't think so?

You think that your thread is marketing for you. But in fact you are talking to the people (at least here) that you don't know how to run a business with such questions.

There is nothing wrong asking that questions but please be smart. You are just telling your "new customers" > "Hey we are Hazi.RO, we don't know what to do and what is best for you and us".

People won't trust. In fact you are just broking your marketing and your chances to sell here.

Sharing knowledge doesn't have anything wrong, but you being associated with your business and asking that things. What you expect that customers that might want to try your service will do? Run away...

Best wishes.

Hello!
    First of all, I think I know you from M2Dev from a few years ago when you had some interesting topics.
    Secondly, the purpose of this topic is not to sell anything at this moment (this is not the case with topics related to migration to the datacenter set up at home) and you said well.. "How can people trust when they see that you don't know/that are you asking like blah blah..?". Simple. I rely on the human relationship between myself and the clients, a human relationship that allows me to be honest even when it does not benefit me.
    Just today I received this message by email from a client who is worth more than the profit of my company's best month of sales.

I know that what I offer is not for everyone and I agree, I don't even want to get rich from this activity, but the fact that I have clients who stay with me even when it's hard for me just because we have a close relationship (I answer to tickets almost instantly) encourages me to believe that I am doing well what I am doing.

Thanked by 1anubhavhirani
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2023

@MikeA said: Look at Enhance, for example. docker web hosting platform.

Charges per site. I don't think that's a price that'll ever float on this side of the market.

Francisco

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • shared hosting with cpanel / directadmin admin is already really cheap for most buyers, unless the price difference is huge i dont see a reason to buy your panel, but i dont think that would be profitable for you

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian

Hey!
    I did not intend to sell the panel itself, but services through it.
    Somehow I am interested to see if the world sees with good eyes or not the adoption of Docker and even more than that, K8s.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@angstrom said:
    I suspect that there are some technical users who would find your approach intriguing, but they may not be numerous enough for a real profit

Technical user prefers full control over the stack.
    I want no stinky FTP or cPanel.

Static hosting:

• Netlify
    • GitHub Pages

Dynamic hosting:

• Cloudflare Workers
    • alwaysdata
    • VPS (could be NAT)
    Thanked by 1emgh
  • AndreiGhesiAndreiGhesi Member
    edited June 2023

@Francisco said:

@MikeA said: Look at Enhance, for example. docker web hosting platform.

Charges per site. I don't think that's a price that'll ever float on this side of the market.

Francisco

I think they clarified some time ago that 1 site in enhance = 1 cpanel accouth with unlimited addons.

Edit from their FAQ:

No, we do not classify Addon domains as billable websites. On Enhance you can add unlimited Domain aliases which map to the same document root or another document root within that website without incurring any additional cost (this is equivalent to 'Addon domains' or 'Parked domain' functionality in other control panels).

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@yoursunny said:

@angstrom said:

Technical user prefers full control over the stack.
    I want no stinky FTP or cPanel.

Static hosting:

• Netlify
    • GitHub Pages

Dynamic hosting:

• Cloudflare Workers
    • alwaysdata
    • VPS (could be NAT)

@yoursunny , of course, you're a super-duper technical user, more technical than most technical users, so you're probably not representative of mere-mortal technical users :)

Thanked by 2_MS_ ariq01
  • @yoursunny said: Static hosting:

Cloudflare also got static pages; https://pages.cloudflare.com/

• @treesmokah said:

@yoursunny said: Static hosting:

Cloudflare also got static pages; https://pages.cloudflare.com/

Love it

• Purpose of technology is to make one's life easier, less complicated and more production, it shouldn't be just opposite.

• LeviLevi Member

Purpose of any web panel is to standardize something. When you make custom tailored solution, than Joe from the street will find hard time to help you to manage your business.

And of course time. Web panels saves you the most valuable asset: time.

To succeed in business you must tick at least 1 parameter:

1. Be first.
    2. Be smart.
    3. Cheat.
    Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • snow2ksnow2k Member

Ok

• @FlorinMarian said: Why isn't there an alternative to CloudLinux isolation via Docker or even K8s?

Because they're does not provide any isolation and wasting a lot of resources.
    Also complexity over all infrastructure for basic operations, procedures - increased dramatically. Almost all toolkit - for hippsters, and not suited well for real production things. k8s and docker = for hype only. Everyone heard about that shit, and nobody even know how and where to use it. Stop doing that. It's like driving nails with a screwdriver. Any job requires a suitable tool.

I'm seeing a lot of idiots (sorry, i will name things like they're) who offer to different control panels to switch to Docker. No reason for that, but "just we can, why not?"

All basic operations like resource allocation, upgrades, even simple backups, even simple config edits, etc = will be big mess and hell. Hell to manage, hell to operate, etc.

k8s & docker = not bad stuff, but these technologies mostly about and for very big companies which must save a lot of money by dynamically scale/shrunk infrastructure depends on their needs. Instead of wasting resources, space, etc.