Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Script for delivery Desktop Dedicated Servers automatically same at hetzner or other companys
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Script for delivery Desktop Dedicated Servers automatically same at hetzner or other companys

CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider
edited June 2023 in Help

Hello LET , We intend to add desktops at cheap price and I would like to know how I could deliver these desktops automatically? We plan to add a few hundred in the coming months, does anyone know how this could be done? Desktops don't have IPMI

Regards,
Calin

Comments

• Hetzner has an API that allows you to create servers thru it.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited June 2023

kvm switches, @terrahost can likely suggest something.

• Hetzner does use IPMI? They use asrock rack

• HypereHypere Member

@Calin said:
    Hello LET , We intend to add desktops at cheap price and I would like to know how I could deliver these desktops automatically? We plan to add a few hundred in the coming months, does anyone know how this could be done? Desktops don't have IPMI

Regards,
    Calin

PXEBoot and remote reboot PDUs

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited June 2023

The following methods are derived from the technique used in hardware-based research testbeds such as Emulab and Virtual Wall.

OS install / reinstall

Configure every computer to boot from network only.
    The DHCP/BOOTP server should selectively deliver a boot payload based on the requesting computer's MAC address.
    If the requesting computer should be reinstalled, the boot payload would include instructions to start the installation with a preseed file.
    If the requesting computer should not be reinstalled, the boot payload simply jumps to the HDD boot sector.

power cycle

Each computer is plugged onto a programmable relay switch.
    To hard reset a computer, turn off the relay switch, wait 60 seconds, and turn on the relay switch.
    If any computer contains a battery, it shall be disconnected before deployment.

Thanked by 2Calin emgh
  • @yoursunny said:

power cycle

Each computer is plugged onto a programmable relay switch.
    To hard reset a computer, turn off the relay switch, wait 60 seconds, and turn on the relay switch.
    If any computer contains a battery, it shall be disconnected before deployment.

My friends home server is plugged into a cheap wifi controlled on/off power plug and is set up to boot on resume power. You turn the plug off and back on and it forces the computer to boot. Super cheap solution that anyone can use quite easily. A lot of these plugs have quite open api's as well afaik