Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will we ever see cheap bandwidth in Asia?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will we ever see cheap bandwidth in Asia?

I really don't understand why bandwidth is still so expensive especially in South Korea and Taiwan in 2023. How many more years do we need to wait? The bandwidth consumption is growing, but prices are still the same as before.

Will anyone like Hetzner enter the Asian market and disrupt it with 5 euros plan and 20TB bandwidth? I can see that Contabo is trying to do this in Singapore, but I heard that the network is horrible.

Comments

• defaultdefault Veteran

No, because of firewalls with control from corrupted governments and greedy corporations.

• Cloudflare explained in their article a while back.

Two Asian locations stand out as being especially expensive: Seoul and Taipei. In these markets, with powerful incumbents (Korea Telecom and HiNet), transit costs 15x as much as in Europe or North America, or 150 units.

Basically greedy fucks.

Singapore we will have to wait a decade or more as the costs are lowering annually but not much.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@TheGreatOakley said:
    I really don't understand why bandwidth is still so expensive especially in South Korea and Taiwan in 2023. How many more years do we need to wait? The bandwidth consumption is growing, but prices are still the same as before.

Will anyone like Hetzner enter the Asian market and disrupt it with 5 euros plan and 20TB bandwidth? I can see that Contabo is trying to do this in Singapore, but I heard that the network is horrible.

Both countries essentially have a monopoly.

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited June 2023

@TheGreatOakley said: I really don't understand why bandwidth is still so expensive especially in South Korea and Taiwan in 2023. How many more years do we need to wait?

CF wrote about this in 2016. Indeed South Korea (Seoul) and Taiwan (Taipei) are the most expensive BW in Asia.

Maybe 10-15 years, BW in Asia (SG and JP) could be "cheap"?

https://blog.cloudflare.com/bandwidth-costs-around-the-world

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

@febryanvaldo said:

@TheGreatOakley said: I really don't understand why bandwidth is still so expensive especially in South Korea and Taiwan in 2023. How many more years do we need to wait?

CF wrote about this in 2016. Indeed South Korea (Seoul) and Taiwan (Taipei) are the most expensive BW in Asia.

Maybe 10-15 years, BW in Asia (SG and JP) could be "cheap"?

https://blog.cloudflare.com/bandwidth-costs-around-the-world

Also, connectivity between countries, even within countries in Asia, depends heavily on submarine cables. You have to take that into consideration.

Thanked by 1xms
  • isnt indian bw cheap
    well it is for enterprises and normal home customers heres so idk

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@default said:
    No, because of firewalls with control from corrupted governments and greedy corporations.

Greedy dickbags are the cause of alot of the worlds problems and 100% of them are human!

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@TheGreatOakley said: Will anyone like Hetzner enter the Asian market and disrupt it with 5 euros plan and 20TB bandwidth? I can see that Contabo is trying to do this in Singapore, but I heard that the network is horrible.

This is basically possible now in Hong Kong.

Bandwidth is becoming as cheap as in Europe. Almost. What's expensive still is the actual rack space and power. And bullshit things like cross connects and local loops.

But if you want to get a 10G connection with Cogent and HE.net, it's less than $3K. You can pretty much get the same price with some of the bigger ISPs too, including HKT. But you will pay an arm and a leg for your XCON/LocalLoop, and none of that includes any China bandwidth.

Basically, in order to access such pricing, you need to have high cost somewhere else.

Though I think soon in HK we will be able to offer US/EU level pricing from our own facility. That said.. without Direct China... what's the point?

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2023

Oracle offers 4gbit at Korea @10TB

how.

• @Otus9051 said:
    isnt indian bw cheap

Should be cheap for data centers as well but there is no demand for Indian bandwidth that's why it is expensive.

I use Singapore location from India as latency is pretty good also worth it as per price I am paying and VPN usage, helps to unlock content blocked by Indian government.

• @anubhavhirani said:

@Otus9051 said:
    isnt indian bw cheap

Should be cheap for data centers as well but there is no demand for Indian bandwidth that's why it is expensive.

I use Singapore location from India as latency is pretty good also worth it as per price I am paying and VPN usage, helps to unlock content blocked by Indian government.

isnt @leapswitch in India?

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Oracle offers 4gbit at Korea @10TB > @anubhavhirani said:

@Otus9051 said:
    isnt indian bw cheap

AFAIK, consumer bw in India is hella cheap, but business/dc bw is costly in India.

• HypereHypere Member

@FatGrizzly said:

@Otus9051 said:
    isnt indian bw cheap

AFAIK, consumer bw in India is hella cheap, but business/dc bw is costly in India.

We've been looking into a India location for a while, bandwidth is stupid expensive out there.

• anubhavhiranianubhavhirani Member
    edited June 2023

@Hypere said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@Otus9051 said:
    isnt indian bw cheap

We've been looking into a India location for a while, bandwidth is stupid expensive out there.

Can you tell me what price you have been quoted? Just to get an idea.

Edit: Googled and found a promising company, maybe can request a quote for a newly launched data center space (Mumbai DC 2): https://www.webwerks.in/

• neel_qeruneel_qeru Member, Host Rep

The thing is, unlike US or Europe, in Asia you need a lot of undersea cables, otherwise you'd need to cross Russia (to reach EU) or China (between East and SE Asia) which transit providers don't want to cross for obvious reasons. In turn, that increases the cost of transit.

After all, does Lumen/Level 3 or Hurricane Electric really want to put backbone circuits in China if that would help China spy on the west?

Asia does make up with great last mile broadband and cellular service, but that sadly doesn't help web hosts.

Thanked by 1ZoobDude
  • neel_qeruneel_qeru Member, Host Rep

@FatGrizzly said:

Once upon a time Indian broadband was garbage, and now Gigabit fiber is cheaper in India than it is in the US. My cousins in India pay less for Jio Fiber than my family pays for CenturyLink Fiber in the US.

CenturyLink does have advantages, namely a public IPv4 and no data cap. But Indian ISPs have higher data caps than US cable monopolies that nobody can really reach unless you run a Tor relay or something.

• Indian ISPs have higher data caps than US cable monopolies that nobody can really reach unless you run a Tor relay or something.

3TB as per TRAI, I never really use more than 600-700GB.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Don't know about S Korea and Taiwan, but in coming few years if nobody directly f**ks with policies drastically, India would be lot cheaper than today, there are tonnes of expansions, undersea cables underway which will eventually bring down prices even more.