Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

email archiving selfhosted or paid
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

email archiving selfhosted or paid

gbzret4dgbzret4d Member

Hi,
i want one centralised solution to archive/duplicate all mails i received.
Self-hosted or paid.
Tool should have a search interface where i can access easily all stored emails.
I found some solutions but im very unsure which will fits my needs, maybe you have some experience with an email archiving solution and want to share with me.
https://hub.docker.com/r/iredmail/spider
https://www.openkm.com/en/open-source-document-management-system.html
https://www.mailpiler.org/

Thanks

Comments

• amsaalamsaal Member

mailhome does the job. Then just backup it to another external drive.

https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/

Thanked by 1bdl
  • @amsaal said:
    mailhome does the job. Then just backup it to another external drive.

https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/

Sorry but i prefer a self hosted solution for linux or docker

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited June 2023

Our secretary prints all the emails and puts them in the file cabinet, sorted by date.
    Y2K or ransomware couldn't affect this trusted and true system.

We have foam fire extinguisher in the archive room.
    There are two very scary guard dogs in front of and behind the building.
    If a stranger approaches, they will bark loud enough to wake up the security personnel who is IDDQD invincible and carries a No.3 chaingun with IDKFA unlimited ammo.

Thanked by 1Hotmarer
  • @yoursunny said:
    Our secretary prints all the emails and puts them in the file cabinet, sorted by date.

If a stranger approaches, they will bark loud enough to wake up the security personnel who is IDDQD invincible and carries a No.3 chaingun with IDKFA unlimited ammo.

That sounds like Hazi.ro datacenter.

Thanked by 1szymonp
  • emghemgh Member

@Hotmarer said:

@yoursunny said:

That sounds like Hazi.ro datacenter.

🙉

• EnvidaEnvida Member

@yoursunny said:

True story, back in the late 90s I was tech support for a computer services company. A PA for one of our clients called up to say her email archive had 'gone' after she got back from a week off. It was on my way home so I agreed to pop in and take a quick look. When I got there, I loaded up Lotus Notes and her email was there going back a year or so. A quick chat with her later she goes 'not the email on the computer, my archive' pointing to a space next to the wall. Turns out she had printed every email she ever had and stored it in a filing cabinet, sorted by sender and date into folders. Her boss had ordered a clearout while she was away, i suspect because she was protective of her space, and the filing cabinet had been removed. She's probably still traumatised by it today, you'd have thought the world was ending the way she reacted when I pointed out the return of her filing cabinet wasn't covered by our SLA.

Thanked by 2emgh yoursunny
  • emghemgh Member

@Envida said:

@yoursunny said:

True story, back in the late 90s I was tech support for a computer services company. A PA for one of our clients called up to say her email archive had 'gone' after she got back from a week off. It was on my way home so I agreed to pop in and take a quick look. When I got there, I loaded up Lotus Notes and her email was there going back a year or so. A quick chat with her later she goes 'not the email on the computer, my archive' pointing to a space next to the wall. Turns out she had printed every email she ever had and stored it in a filing cabinet, sorted by sender and date into folders. Her boss had ordered a clearout while she was away, i suspect because she was protective of her space, and the filing cabinet had been removed. She's probably still traumatised by it today, you'd have thought the world was ending the way she reacted when I pointed out the return of her filing cabinet wasn't covered by our SLA.

Bruh moment

• Any solutions?

• emghemgh Member

@gbzret4d said:
    Any solutions?

Why don't you just try the ones linked?

Or at leat, the most probable one to fit your needs?

• I've been working on a Python script to replace my CloudHQ subscription that does email archival and then sends it via RClone to a destination (in this case, Nextcloud). It archives both the .eml file, a PDF copy of the email, a text copy, as well as the attachments.

I just wanted something that I could run on my own and keep backups of my emails that are spread throughout services. Let me know if you're interested, I'm happy to share what I have so far.

• cPanel has build in archiving, though not enabled by default. Check with your host.
    My previous employer used Mimecast, but they would not qualify as "Low End".