Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A virtual desktop that can run internet-connected 3rd-party software 24/7 with min. management?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A virtual desktop that can run internet-connected 3rd-party software 24/7 with min. management?

DarlDarl Member

So I have a software that I need to run 24/7 with constant internet connection. The software itself is very stable and extremely low-resource (including the bandwidth it needs), but it only works with desktop GUI (Linux or Windows). Any downtime is bad for me, since the output of the software is critical to some work I do. I am going to be traveling for the rest of the year so I need it installed somewhere remotely.

I tried a high-spec Digitalocean VPS with Ubuntu Desktop, but too often it crashes or restarts and I have to spend ages checking logs and getting things going again which I can't do so often while traveling. Also keeping it secure feels like it will be an ongoing effort. I think even fully managed VPS wouldn't work, since I'd need the techs to react immediately to downtime and then go into the desktop to restart my software ASAP, I think that would be too expensive if even possible.

Has anybody heard of a service allowing a virtual desktop environment that can download (from file sharing website), install and constantly run a Linux (or Windows if only option) software with 24/7 internet connection and handles updates, et al without prolonged downtime and especially without requiring me to enter the desktop and restart my installed software regularly? The application uses very small resources in terms of CPU, bandwidth, etc, it is the ability to be always on without regular management by me that is the big requirement.

Thank you for any insight.

Comments

• rdp.sh specialize in this, uptime should be good.

• edited June 2023

Is it the software that's crashing or the VPS? Without debugging the underlying reason on why your software is crashing, I don't think changing to a new provider will magically fix your issues (unless maybe it's a Linux or Windows specific bug).

I am assuming you are currently running that software locally on your machine. Is it not possible for you to simply remote into this PC or network?

• DarlDarl Member

@treesmokah said: rdp.sh specialize in this, uptime should be good.

Wow, that company looks great, thank you very much. I never had known the term "RDP" before, I was looking in the wrong place. Very appreciated.

@CyberneticTitan said: Is it the software that's crashing or the VPS? Without debugging the underlying reason on why your software is crashing, I don't think changing to a new provider will magically fix your issues (unless maybe it's a Linux or Windows specific bug).

Maybe I didn't word it correctly. The Ubuntu Desktop cannot run 24/7 on the VPS and requires management like entering the desktop interface to restart the software often. A VPS is not designed to keep Ubuntu Desktop and its applications running 24/7 without management by me is the issue.

• @Darl said:

@CyberneticTitan said: Is it the software that's crashing or the VPS? Without debugging the underlying reason on why your software is crashing, I don't think changing to a new provider will magically fix your issues (unless maybe it's a Linux or Windows specific bug).

Maybe I didn't word it correctly.

Correct, you're confusing as fuck. You're saying it's extremely stable but it crashes frequently.

The Ubuntu Desktop cannot run 24/7 on the VPS and requires management like entering the desktop interface to restart the software often. A VPS is not designed to keep Ubuntu Desktop and its applications running 24/7 without management by me is the issue.

That's exactly what a VPS can do (run 24/7).

You configure apt to install security updates regularly and automatically.

You setup systemd to start and restart your application if it stops.

PEBKAC.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I'm confused, too many questions

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited June 2023

Nomachine NX client works pretty well on smartphones so ‏you can install NX server on a VPS and use it while traveling.

There are multiple ways to get your program automatically restarted if it crashes but you'll still have to watch out from time to time... you can't just leave it for a year and forget lol nothing is guaranteed especially when a desktop is required.

• emgemg Veteran

I have an ongoing project (currently on hold for months) looking at different remote desktop solutions for VPSs. I started this thread, but won't have time to pick up the remote desktop project again for a while. ... but I have not forgotten it:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/182268/how-do-you-run-a-desktop-linux-from-a-vps-remotely

• wii747wii747 Member

I use NoMachine and xfce desktop. Desktop has not crashed for me. When I used default Ubuntu desktop I had lots of problems

• ShamliShamli Member

Run the desktop at home,connect to cloudflare tunnel...

Or

Get a dedicated server,run windows, connect it to cloudflare tunnel.. inside the server,run a vm that that will run your software...that way,if the software down,or even the vm down,you can always get into the host server and restart the vm manually later...

• oyhacooyhaco Member

@risharde said:
    I'm confused, too many questions

So am i

Thanked by 1risharde
  • @TimboJones said:
    Correct, you're confusing as fuck. You're saying it's extremely stable but it crashes frequently.

Maybe he is refering to keyring that require manual passwd enter if whatever the app he use restart?

Quite sure Contabo allow sending a command to reboot the VPS, don't know if it can help him though.