Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[OVH/Hetzner] Which one would you keep?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[OVH/Hetzner] Which one would you keep?

loayloay Member
edited June 2023 in Reviews

I have those two dedicated servers from OVH flash sale and Hetzner auction. Both have 2x6TB HDD but the disks on Hetzner server are very old (power on hours: 54379, 34149)

OVH vs. Hetzner
  1. Which one would you keep?63 votes
    1. OVH: Intel(R) Xeon(R) D-1521 32GB DDR 4 ECC RAM and relatively new 2x6TB HDD disks for 28.97 euro
      30.16%
    2. Hetzner: Intel(R) Xeon(R) E3-1275 v5 64GB DDR 4 ECC RAM and very old 2x6TB HDD disks for 35.7 euro
      69.84%

Comments

• i'd go with anything over ovh tbh.
    if those hetz drives fail, they will at least get you new ones in a timely manner.

if it happened on ovh, good fucking luck getting a replacement or any support.

Thanked by 2loay rekt
  • Smith42Smith42 Member
    edited June 2023

Old != Bad

I've seen many new drives fail. If your data is irreplaceable, create backups.

Thanked by 1loay
  • I'll go with hetzner

Thanked by 1rekt
  • emghemgh Member

@treesmokah said:
    i'd go with anything over ovh tbh.
    if those hetz drives fail, they will at least get you new ones in a timely manner.

OVH support is known for being slow, but their datacenter technicians are not.

Replacements with OVH is usually done quite fast.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited June 2023

@emgh said:

@treesmokah said:

to get a replacement you have to pass their support, and its often impossible even if you have completely fucked up hardware. there were multiple threads about that here.

the only scenario here why I would go with ovh, is their anti ddos, do not know how does it look on "standard" plans and not "game", but I'd imagine its still better than Hetzner.
    back in the day both used to null route on ~200Mbps attack, ovh later improved, hetzner likely didn't.

• emghemgh Member

@treesmokah said:

@emgh said:

@treesmokah said:

to get a replacement you have to pass their support, and its often impossible even if you have completely fucked up hardware. there were multiple threads about that here.

the only scenario here why I would go with ovh, is their anti ddos, do not know how does it look on "standard" plans and not "game", but I'd imagine its still better than Hetzner.

I’ve had a very good time even with their non-priority billing support.

I was too stupid to understand their interface and they just did what I wanted for me.

• @emgh said:

@treesmokah said:

@emgh said:

@treesmokah said:

I’ve had a very good time even with their non-priority billing support.

I was too stupid to understand their interface and they just did what I wanted for me.

nice.

sadly it wasn't the case with any of my experiences with their support.
    that's why i personally couldn't recommend them for anything if you are not willing to spend big racks on their better support packages.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • ArchieArchie Member

ovh is bad

Thanked by 1rekt
  • wii747wii747 Member

I would just use ovh api to open a ticket for a hardware replacement this way it bypasses the support.

Thanked by 1bruh21
  • emghemgh Member

@wii747 said:
    I would just use ovh api to open a ticket for a hardware replacement this way it bypasses the support.

Wait what?

There’s an api endpoint to create tickets to departments not shown in the UI?

• Can't deal with poor support. Hetzner miles better.

Thanked by 1rekt
  • For dedicated, usually we need support, Hetzner is better.

Thanked by 1rekt
  • tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@treesmokah said: back in the day both used to null route on ~200Mbps attack, ovh later improved, hetzner likely didn't.

Hetzner are slow to activate their filters, but once they do (it takes up to 5 minutes for dedicated servers) they filter simple L4 floods a lot better than OVH. However if you need something advanced, for example game protection, I would rather go with Path.net network