Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Cloud - Question on remote desktop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Cloud - Question on remote desktop

If I have a Linux VM and connect to it with some kind of remote desktop connection, is there any way another customer or Hetzner staff could see what I am doing by connecting to the virtual screen device? It's for use with Kali Linux, so I need to connect to the desktop remotely. At the moment I am using a virtual machine on my Intel Mac but would like to use a VM in Hetzner that I can access from multiple computers.

Related: which remote desktop solution do you recommend for Linux that does NOT show the screen activity to local people when I am connected from here?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Not an expert but by experience, a (any) VNC server will create its own virtual display, which is therefore not the local display, unless you use something like x0vncserver, in which case the local display would be shared.

• dosaidosai Member

Use nomachine.

• You can always test with your VM with a bridged network. Setup whichever VNC server comes with Kali with a lightweight WM on the VM, and connect with a VNC client from the Mac using the VM IP address. Check on the virtual console of the VM what you see.

• I tried with NoMachine and RustDesk and in both cases I could see the desktop activity also from the Hetzner console. Is there any way to prevent this at all?

• I have also the problem that the VM IP seems to be blocked by Google because I can't use the search engine. I always get a 403

• @vitobotta said:
    I tried with NoMachine and RustDesk and in both cases I could see the desktop activity also from the Hetzner console. Is there any way to prevent this at all?

Nomachine doesn't seem to work like VNC, it looks like by default it's a remote desktop access so yeah you will see the same desktop as the console.

After a quick googling I found: https://www.nomachine.com/creating-nomachine-virtual-desktop-sessions-on-linux

I would use a proper VNC server and create a virtual display.