Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When selecting a hosting provider, what factors are most important to you? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When selecting a hosting provider, what factors are most important to you?

13»

Comments

• BabakBabak Member, Patron Provider

We have Had a lot of mentions about Hardware.

Which are the hardware causing bottleneck for your usage?

• Here are some factors:

Trusted hosting provider
    24/7 Support
    Bandwidth
    Uptime
    performance

Thanked by 1Babak

@rober7 said:
    From my point of view:
    1. Hardware - a performant server will always make you app/website load faster -> fast website = more sales, rank in Google ... etc
    2. Price - a reasonable price is a must. I saw very competitive prices all over the internet, there always will be a provider with same specs and lower price.
    3. backups support etc etc ...

Totally agree with you well said.

Just on the Google rank, it is not that simple anymore and SEO is becoming more and more complicated even though Server speed is still a factor ;)

• Support
    Uptime
    Port speed
    CPU
    Refund
    Price

Thanked by 2ehab Babak
  • Its always nice to have forums rather than rely on who comes up first on google search or advertisements.

You are less likely to get scams with offers on LET as people will heavily scrutinize that company especially if they are less than a year old.

Most companies here are also pretty transparent with their modus operandi, which is great for gaining immediate trust. Although I still take it with a grain of salt.

@listerine90 said:
    Its always nice to have forums rather than rely on who comes up first on google search or advertisements.

You are less likely to get scams with offers on LET as people will heavily scrutinize that company especially if they are less than a year old.

Most companies here are also pretty transparent with their modus operandi, which is great for gaining immediate trust. Although I still take it with a grain of salt.

I agree with you, especially in the last couple of months google results are not stable and sometimes very random sites are showing on top!

• in my opinion:
    1. check the necessary requirements. Don't get a shortage of resources or an excess of too many resources.
    2. From the first point, you can determine the need for CPU, RAM, and others
    3. Server location. This is quite important because it also affects the speed when accessed by the client. Although there are technologies like cloudflare that can help lower latency as well.
    4. Reliable. Of course I don't want my server to be down frequently.
    5.Support. Speed in responding is also very important. Especially if there are problems related to problems on the server. The availability of Live Chat will also be very helpful especially if it can be resolved through Live Chat.
    6. Finally and no less important is the price. It's useless cheap if the five points above don't exist. But if you get a cheaper price from an existing provider, of course you will choose the cheap one.

Thanked by 1Babak
  • The name of the company.

Thanked by 1Babak

@arachi004 said:
    in my opinion:
    1. check the necessary requirements. Don't get a shortage of resources or an excess of too many resources.
    2. From the first point, you can determine the need for CPU, RAM, and others
    3. Server location. This is quite important because it also affects the speed when accessed by the client. Although there are technologies like cloudflare that can help lower latency as well.
    4. Reliable. Of course I don't want my server to be down frequently.
    5.Support. Speed in responding is also very important. Especially if there are problems related to problems on the server. The availability of Live Chat will also be very helpful especially if it can be resolved through Live Chat.
    6. Finally and no less important is the price. It's useless cheap if the five points above don't exist. But if you get a cheaper price from an existing provider, of course you will choose the cheap one.

Thank you for mentioning these important points B)

Do Advertisements and Google results affect you or do you do your own Research?

• ISO27001

• I lean towards deals that have extra IP's for free or not so expensive.
    I agree with what most people said.
    A great network, hardware, etc....

• For me most important thing is:

32GB RAM
    8 core Ryzen 7950X
    1TB NVMe
    Unlimited bandwidth @ 10gbps
    $1/year

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • chipchip Member

For me I like:
    Support... for anything "important to me" I go for managed, I find you normally get "decent support"

Communication .... if their is an issue, why? What are we doing about it?

Reasonable hardware.... I don't need blazing fast hardware, but I also don't want bottom of the barrell stuff

Good prices.... I don't want to pay over the odds but I also don't want to pay nothing and be an "unsustainable customer"

Resources.... modifiable ... some hosts are very strict on resources and won't move/allow addons .... this I get is because that's their model ... but when you just need a "little more" ... its over kill to have to go to the next package up ... and my stance would be if you want to pay for it I will give you whatever you want (disk/ram/bandwidth wise)

Good base packages.... Good resources, reasonable priced

• @alilet said:
    For me most important thing is:

32GB RAM
    8 core Ryzen 7950X
    1TB NVMe
    $1/year

include 365 day money back guarantee as well

edited August 2023

@dev_vps said:

@alilet said:
    For me most important thing is:

32GB RAM
    8 core Ryzen 7950X
    1TB NVMe
    $1/year

include 365 day money back guarantee as well

Not a very appealing offer yet maybe + a PS5 can fix the deal :D

• No spammy threads

• Like for me The after sales support is most important part bcoz now a days every provider says 99% uptime and so and so but real challenge comes when any downtime comes and that provider really there to listen to my problems bcoz many provider stopped giving us replies and do not even hear what we’re saying so yeah uptime, staff support, help us whenever we need them.

Thanked by 2Babak rahulbose98
  • @AbhishekSharma said:
    Like for me The after sales support is most important part bcoz now a days every provider says 99% uptime and so and so but real challenge comes when any downtime comes and that provider really there to listen to my problems bcoz many provider stopped giving us replies and do not even hear what we’re saying so yeah uptime, staff support, help us whenever we need them.

This is quiet true - it's always good to have a reliable and prompt support from the hosting provider.

Thanked by 2AbhishekSharma Babak
  • Friendly and prompt technical and account support

Reliable network

Good hardware for your buck

A good reputation

Good differentiators

Shout out to @Francisco - You and the team do great work!

Thanked by 1Babak
  • As a client?
    I tend to take virtualization type, link speed, transfer limit, pricing and performance into account, but most of my (or rather, our) use case involve large transfer limit within a set budget. So I guess transfer cost is the one thing I care most.

Thanked by 1Babak

@Ed_Chd said:
    As a client?
    I tend to take virtualization type, link speed, transfer limit, pricing and performance into account, but most of my (or rather, our) use case involve large transfer limit within a set budget. So I guess transfer cost is the one thing I care most.

What would be your preferred Hypervisor?

• @Babak said:

@Ed_Chd said:
    As a client?

What would be your preferred Hypervisor?

Xen (full virtualization) first, KVM second, LXC third. Since KVM is the most common type of full virtualization, that's the one I'll always prefer.
    I always avoid OpenVZ like plague as it's way too restrictive.

Thanked by 1Babak