Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does IPV 6 works? Residency
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How does IPV 6 works? Residency

ViperdarkViperdark Member

Hello I got a question.

I have a connection in France 1Giga and they offer also IPV6 like 60 of them

How can I use them on 1 Pc?

Example When i get a VPS that has /64 ipv6

I can add more IPv6 to my VPS system and do my work.

I cant do the same to an Ubuntu local System I get only 1 IPV6 and 1 IPV4

But if i connect another Device the Device gets the same Ipv4 (normal) and a different IPV6

SO question is how Can i Enable more Ipv6 to the Same PC System

Its extremely inconvinient to get new device for each IPV6 usage

Note: Im Big newbie on how it works and why.

Comments

• ZreindZreind Member

@yoursunny waiting ur answer :p

• ErisaErisa Member

Usually, your router is the one that gets the whole range (whether /64 or /48 or similar) and then chooses to delegate that to clients in whatever way it deems fit. To get more IPv6 on a single machine you would probably need to configure your router to hand out larger prefixes. That process and whether its possible in the first place will depend heavily on your routers software.

Thanked by 2yoursunny emgh
  • lebuserlebuser Member
    edited May 2023

@Viperdark said: Its extremely inconvinient to get new device for each IPV6 usage

I guess you can use macvlan if you need more IPv6 addresses assigned with SLAAC to the same Debian host.

• @Erisa said:
    Usually, your router is the one that gets the whole range (whether /64 or /48 or similar) and then chooses to delegate that to clients in whatever way it deems fit. To get more IPv6 on a single machine you would probably need to configure your router to hand out larger prefixes. That process and whether its possible in the first place will depend heavily on your routers software.

That fast answer. I need to look it up thanks, Although i never saw any setting that even implies that

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 2023

@Viperdark said:

@Erisa said:

That fast answer. I need to look it up thanks, Although i never saw any setting that even implies that

I think this might be the right place to start to read, to get a general idea: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/ipv6/configuration

From the link:

”auto: (default) enable IPv6 on the interface. Spawn a virtual interface wan_6 (note the underscore) and start DHCPv6 client odhcp6c to manage prefix assignment. Ensure the lan interface has option ip6assign 64 (or a larger prefix size) set to redistribute the received prefix downstream.”

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2023

It would still allocate the same number of IPv6 per MAC.
    I am not sure the ISP would allow more per MAC as they include the MAC address most of the time in their body (the IPv6s). You could try to manually add the next one up or down and see if you can ping it. If it works, then your provider does not filter, if it doesn't, then you are out of luck.
    Personally I create many VMs and each has own MAC and can have many virtual interfaces, therefore multiple IPv6 if I would want to. I don't create the VMs for the IPv6, though, that is just a bonus.