Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Energy prices in Finland flipped negative - is Aleksi, CEO and founder of PulsedMedia onto it? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Energy prices in Finland flipped negative - is Aleksi, CEO and founder of PulsedMedia onto it?

2»

Comments

• Good guy, nice to talk to. That is all I know.

• jenkkijenkki Member

@Maounique said: While you were in vacation, things changed. Now the prices are lower than before the Russians cut the gas. They even went negative for a bit.

Unlike you, I do not sit on the Internet and on the site around the clock. And if you don't know, some European countries are still buying energy from Russia, bypassing official channels.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2023

@emgh said:
    @PulsedMedia @jar

I think Jar is right generally but not in the case of seedboxes.

On a VPS, if you don’t care about it, things will crash and usage will likely over time go down, or at least not be very high.

I’ve never had an idle VPS have constantly high usage.

BUT, in a seedbox, say you download the latest Avatar, and then you have to do other stuff.

Damn that torrent will be using bandwidth ..

I still think there's something there, but it may not be above board. I have a few idling seedboxes. So I ask myself, what makes me idle them?

• I underestimated the time I would need to set it up with them how I want it to be (some providers make this easier than others)

• Something doesn't work and I just move on rather than open a ticket

• My latency increased too much after purchase

So maybe the key to idling seedboxes is the same as the key to increasing chargebacks: fuck things up just enough that no one wants to actually use it.

Combine that with upselling to make it work and that just might be the ticket. Shame, though, that this game plan is fairly immoral. I enjoyed the thought experiment all the same.

• @yoursunny said:

@FranzVonVirMach said:
    @yoursunny will be thrilled.

I switched to iHostART that is €5.50/year, compare to PulsedMedia €18/year before the increase.
    The €18/year isn't coming back because the whole product line is discontinued.
    LowEndSeedbox has much smaller diks (50 GB only) but it's enough for a few TV episodes.
    Those 4k content are useless: I have to re-encode them down to 720p, or they won't play on my tablet.

Why wouldn't you just download the 720p version to begin with?

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited May 2023

@TimboJones said: Why wouldn't you just download the 720p version to begin with?

This is exactly what he is doing and this why he needs such smol dicks - 4K content is useless for him.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @JabJab said:

@TimboJones said: Why wouldn't you just download the 720p version to begin with?

This is exactly what he is doing and this why he needs such smol dicks - 4K content is useless for him.

Bad English. A) 4k was irrelevant and pointless to even bring up, B) "I'd have to..." would mean he knows this and avoids it already, whereas he's complaining he's been doing it ("I have to...").

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jenkki said: Unlike you, I do not sit on the Internet and on the site around the clock.

You should at least have a meeting with your coordinator so you get to know the latest directives for propaganda, especially after a vacation.

@jenkki said: And if you don't know, some European countries are still buying energy from Russia, bypassing official channels.

There is no embargo on Russian gas, there never was one, Putler voluntarily cut his market share close to nothing in the EU, at least.
    As for the oil, who cares, for as long as the price is low and discounts steep. There is a discount of about 20 dollars per barrel, 25-30% depending on how we calculate, all according to plan.

That being said, who is still buying Russian energy has a higher price. Finland has a similar price to Russia for power, in Greece, for example, the price is triple comparing to the Finnish one and even Putler's doggie, Orban, has higher prices than in Finland and even neighbouring Romania.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@jar said: So maybe the key to idling seedboxes is the same as the key to increasing chargebacks: fuck things up just enough that no one wants to actually use it.

Combine that with upselling to make it work and that just might be the ticket. Shame, though, that this game plan is fairly immoral. I enjoyed the thought experiment all the same.

I know of providers who's whole business plan revolves around that. The irony is that they have excellent reputation, and they do get recommended fairly often. Or at least did in the past.

btw today there is a ~14cnt/kWh peak.

This thread has been interesting, thanks guys :)

Tbh, we have been considering going for spot pricing for the next DC, and just keep in hand always a 6month buffer for the potential of 5x energy costs. But that is risky, and ties up funds in an inefficient manner. Will need to do some very extensive analysis before decision is made.

Construction work started finally on the new DC :) First steps, baby steps.
    This is the first DC we are building 100% from scratch.

Thanked by 1jar
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

This is why you don't change pricing on the minutae of spot pricing: Price now 8.4cnt/kWh, 7day avg 4.21cnt/kWh

So it's again more expensive than last year. It's the average that counts, since servers consume power 24/7/365

• emghemgh Member

@PulsedMedia said:
    This is why you don't change pricing on the minutae of spot pricing: Price now 8.4cnt/kWh, 7day avg 4.21cnt/kWh

So it's again more expensive than last year. It's the average that counts, since servers consume power 24/7/365

lmao

if clients want you to instantly reflect their pricing on spot pricing

ask them to link their credit card and setup their price to automatically change by the hour based on spot pricing

• emghemgh Member

your seedbox is now free

your seedbox is now 5 bucks

your seedbox is now tesla

your seedbox is free again

Thanked by 1Calin
    edited June 2023

@PulsedMedia said: This is why you don't change pricing on the minutae of spot pricing: Price now 8.4cnt/kWh, 7day avg 4.21cnt/kWh

That is still very-very low. Russia has higher or close to such energy prices, in Romania it is double or triple as we still use fossil fuels for generation and most of that is imported.

• emghemgh Member

@Maounique said:

@PulsedMedia said: This is why you don't change pricing on the minutae of spot pricing: Price now 8.4cnt/kWh, 7day avg 4.21cnt/kWh

That is still very-very low. Russia has higher or close to such energy prices, in Romania it is double or triple as we still use fossil fuels for generation and most of that is imported.

He can't compare to Russia or Romania, he can only compare to what he paid historically.

but we can compare with prices on VPSes in Romania and Russia.