Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does a web service offer a website just by using their NS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How does a web service offer a website just by using their NS?

scookescooke Member

I'm thinking of using bandz**gle, and they offer the ability to use my own domain. Their instructions however say to change my domain's NS's to their NS. There is nothing about A records, CNAMEs, IP, etc. I've tried googling for an answer but there are too many keywords that give me results that aren't applicable. I figure someone here could explain how just NS alone can make a domain accessible online. Thank you!

Comments

• srch07srch07 Member

NameServer is the what controls your entire DNS records.

Suppose you have a domain from NameCheap, by default it will have NS of NameCheap, and as such any A/CNAME/MX you enter in NameCheap UI, will apply to your domain.

When you change your NS to let's say CloudFlare for same domain. All the DNS records you see in NameCheap, is meaning less now.
    Because only DNS records present in CloudFlare UI will be applicable now.

You can do rest of the math, I guess. ;)

Thanked by 2JasonM scooke
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited May 2023

Once you change your domain ns records you actually delegate the management of your domain to another DNS infrastructure so all new DNS queries land there.

The A records, CNAMEs, etc will be controlled by the new DNS provider and should be set up there.

Thanked by 1scooke
  • emghemgh Member

shorter answer: they probably do what you described for you, since their system would know what the right records are and changing to their nameservers gives them the ability to set any other record (with some exceptions)

do note though that if they don’t offer complete DNS control when doing this, this can limit you in the future

i highly recommend using a good DNS provider and not letting a SaaS do your DNS, if possible of course

Thanked by 1scooke
  • JasonMJasonM Member

@scooke said: Their instructions however say to change my domain's NS's to their NS

can't you keep site with bandzoogle and host dns externally? I will never keep dns and hosting with same provider!

• scookescooke Member

Thank you all... very enlightening. I knew NS were key to directing web traffic, but i thought you could use any NS. It makes more sense why each registrar always says "Use our NS!" since all my DNS records are also in that given registrar. NS controls the subsequent DNS, not just directs traffic. Cool.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited May 2023

With a small VPS you could also host a DNS server and become your own DNS authority with full control.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • rattlecattlerattlecattle Member
    edited May 2023

To make it easy to remember,

NS controls the D in DNS.

Thanked by 2emgh scooke
  • emghemgh Member
    edited May 2023

@rattlecattle said:
    To make it easy to remember,

NS controls the D in DNS.

D as in male seed slinger?

@scooke said:
    Thank you all... very enlightening. I knew NS were key to directing web traffic, but i thought you could use any NS. It makes more sense why each registrar always says "Use our NS!" since all my DNS records are also in that given registrar. NS controls the subsequent DNS, not just directs traffic. Cool.

Well, that’s mostly just a way to get you hooked on their ecosystem.

If you got all your domains and DNS at Namecheap, and they increase their prices by 20 %, then you might feel that’s whatever, not worth switching every single domains DNS records over.

Vs. If you used Cloudflare for DNS for example, then it would surely be worth the few extra clicks.

DNS to registrars is a bit like iMessage and Apple Pay to Apple, not really a money-printer, but a claw.

Thanked by 2Maounique scooke