Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A use for your idle VPS.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A use for your idle VPS.

SirNeoSirNeo Member

Have you considered using your idle vps in order to help circumventing internet censorship?

Running Snowflake or OBFS4 is legal!

Thanked by 1rm_

Comments

• NanjaNanja Member
    edited May 2023

How much bandwidth do either of those use monthly, all my idle cheap vps are limited.

• Ed_ChdEd_Chd Member
    edited May 2023

Obfs4 is effectively dead due to entropy cap. Snowflake is also near its death due to deliberate high packet drop rate on UDP packets.
    If you have enough resources to host either of these, why not go for a correctly-configured EP instead, then distribute shareables of it to people in need?

• EP?

• Ed_ChdEd_Chd Member
    edited May 2023

@bamboo4409 said:
    EP?

Encrypted proxies, an informal term for customizable proxies specifically tailored to bypass censorship with all means possible. The earliest one would be Shadowsocks, while there are also many other choices that are quite good. Most of the advanced ones allow you to tailor routing and etc exactly to your needs, without any need to configure additional components or apply hacks/workarounds.
    EPs are extremely popular in countries like Iran and China, and I have years of experience in setting clusters up for use there.

Thanked by 2bamboo4409 mrTom
  • conceptconcept Member

@Nanja said:
    How much bandwidth do either of those use monthly, all my idle cheap vps are limited.

It depends on how many actively its being used. I would say around 1TB at most.

For example from one of my obfs4 bridges.
    Heartbeat: Tor's uptime is 25 days 12:00 hours, with 208 circuits open. I've sent 903.45 GB and received 904.63 GB. I've received 24790 connections on IPv4 and 0 on IPv6. I've made 251941 connections with IPv4 and 0 with IPv6.

• conceptconcept Member

@concept said:

@Nanja said:

It depends on how many actively its being used.

For example from one of my obfs4 bridges.
    Heartbeat: Tor's uptime is 25 days 12:00 hours, with 208 circuits open. I've sent 903.45 GB and received 904.63 GB. I've received 24790 connections on IPv4 and 0 on IPv6. I've made 251941 connections with IPv4 and 0 with IPv6.

• SirNeoSirNeo Member

@Nanja said:

I don't have exact numbers but somewhere between 500GB to 1TB/month depending how much users are connecting on them.

@Ed_Chd said:
    Obfs4 is effectively dead due to entropy cap. Snowflake is also near its death due to deliberate high packet drop rate on UDP packets.
    If you have enough resources to host either of these, why not go for a correctly-configured EP instead, then distribute shareables of it to people in need?

Then give me a hint of how i can configure an EP and how to distribute them

• Ed_ChdEd_Chd Member
    edited May 2023

@SirNeo said:

@Nanja said:

I don't have exact numbers but somewhere between 500GB to 1TB/month depending how much users are connecting on them.

@Ed_Chd said:

Then give me a hint of how i can configure an EP and how to distribute them

Sing Box, Xray

As of distributing, I've seen people doing so in Telegram channels. Or else, you can post them on somewhere people living there definitely will come by. If you are in touch of anyone living there, it also works.

Thanked by 1SirNeo
  • SirNeoSirNeo Member

BUMP.

Maybe someone don't know what to do with their idlers and want to help

• i only do one thing with my idlers.