Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RPiServers - $3.14 FOREVER! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RPiServers - $3.14 FOREVER!

Comments

• Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@default said:

The bigger challenge part of that is getting that many RPi's :lol:

I would love to see Mythic beasts full setup of RPi's

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    The bigger challenge part of that is getting that many RPi's :lol:

I would love to see Mythic beasts full setup of RPi's

My local supplier allow unlimited (up to their stock limit) Rpi ordering... shouldnt be a big concern now?

• I'm surprised you hadn't migrated to a different SBCs yet, so many options now.

• @jugganuts said:
    I'm surprised you hadn't migrated to a different SBCs yet, so many options now.

True, but will people order alternatives? Raspberry Pi has popularity, making it a huge selling point.

• I got one, nice to see 1 Gbps network on this :)

• hades_corpshades_corps Member
    edited September 2023

Accident clicked post

• Out of Stock, chance for getting one 256gb available ?

@default said:

@jugganuts said:
    I'm surprised you hadn't migrated to a different SBCs yet, so many options now.

True, but will people order alternatives? Raspberry Pi has popularity, making it a huge selling point.

Also the question comes... What other alternative would be the best solution/option?

@webi said:
    Out of Stock, chance for getting one 256gb available ?

That is a good question.. Even I don't know that one.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said: What other alternative would be the best solution/option?

OrangePi's with NVMe are pretty robust little SBC's.

@ipguru said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said: What other alternative would be the best solution/option?

You and @lanefu would get alone on that OrangePi part :lol:

I've been keeping an eye out on these but idk if it would be even worth it...
    https://uplab.pro/2022/03/compute-blade-changelog/

Thanked by 1lanefu
  • @DataIdeas-Josh get a handful of those, we'll test them out for you. :)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @ipguru said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said: What other alternative would be the best solution/option?

Assuming opi5. Depends on people's appetite for the vendor BSP hackjob kernel. Mainline support for rk3588 on kernel 6.6 is looking pretty good.

Raxda Rock 5b probably at the head of the pack for mainline.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@CyberneticTitan said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@fart said:
    Don’t want to dump on your thread, but selling actual Ampere based ARM servers would have been nice.

I mean get me some good links and we will look into it!

https://www.asacomputers.com/Ampere-Altra-1U-10-Bay-ARM-Server.html
    https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/matrix-rx

It would be pretty rough trying to match Hetzner pricing, but depending on your configuration you can probably fit more than 80 users on a single node.

128C is the largest CPU, so i would consider 128 1core dedicated to be still really good offer.
    16x DIMM slots too, so you can get a lot of RAM for that price too.

Storage will become the bottleneck, but i guess 2 tiers then. Add say 8x 8TB SATA SSD RAID10 and 4x NVMe arrays and just tier the services.

You'll end up with more than 10k per node, but being able to support 128 VMs with dedicated cores could easily generate probably 700$ per month at minimum. That means you are looking at 2+ year ROI.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@default said: Let's take your datacentre as an example: customers do not need WiFi, USB, HDMI, sound, GPIO, camera port, and so on. Your customers just need: CPU + RAM + storage + bandwidth. With this in mind one could reduce costs by looking for a powerful board to use in a datacentre, without all these extra features.

Not sure any board that stripped down actually exists :(

Would be curious to play around with one and see where the pricing would go with something like that.

@ipguru said: OrangePi's with NVMe are pretty robust little SBC's.

SBC with M.2 NVMe would be quite sweet indeed.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@default said:
    Let's take your datacentre as an example: customers do not need WiFi, USB, HDMI, sound, GPIO, camera port, and so on. Your customers just need: CPU + RAM + storage + bandwidth. With this in mind one could reduce costs by looking for a powerful board to use in a datacentre, without all these extra features.

Wanna see naked pushups?
    Connect to the Wi-Fi access point.
    Password is in a Bluetooth beacon.

Send me $3.14 and I'll make it happen.

@PulsedMedia said: You'll end up with more than 10k per node, but being able to support 128 VMs with dedicated cores could easily generate probably 700$ per month at minimum. That means you are looking at 2+ year ROI.

That's assuming people will pay ~$5.50/m per core.

@PulsedMedia said: Not sure any board that stripped down actually exists

I wonder if get the compute module then it would be stripped down. but then would have to create the motherboard and after everything is said and done. back at the same costs.

Thanked by 1BruhGamer12
  • @DataIdeas-Josh said: I wonder if get the compute module then it would be stripped down. but then would have to create the motherboard and after everything is said and done. back at the same costs.

Hey is there a way to get email notifications when new stock is updated! At the moment I wait for a notification from this thread lol

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@PulsedMedia said: You'll end up with more than 10k per node, but being able to support 128 VMs with dedicated cores could easily generate probably 700$ per month at minimum. That means you are looking at 2+ year ROI.

That's assuming people will pay ~$5.50/m per core.

@PulsedMedia said: Not sure any board that stripped down actually exists

I wonder if get the compute module then it would be stripped down. but then would have to create the motherboard and after everything is said and done. back at the same costs.

With the big server you add more ram and faster and more storage and that can bring the average sale price higher.

Yea, CM4 kinda would be it, but requiring motherboard etc. that's an very expensive custom board, but you could integrate many units, switch, power management etc. on that same board. But you would need to sell A LOT to cover the costs.
    But unit which is fully contained, full system, just without all the extras not needed for server, that doesn't exist and might find a market.

Also comparing RPi 4B to old low power systems (ie. Atom N2800) that's a lot of compute performance, but even decade+ old atom will have higher I/O perf sadly.

@BruhGamer12 said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said: I wonder if get the compute module then it would be stripped down. but then would have to create the motherboard and after everything is said and done. back at the same costs.

Hey is there a way to get email notifications when new stock is updated! At the moment I wait for a notification from this thread lol

Not at the moment.

Thanked by 1BruhGamer12
  • Is their website down or is it just me?

@deadpool said:
    Is their website down or is it just me?

It is at the moment for web server maintenance.
    Getting spicy box.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@deadpool said:

Getting spicy box.

Spicy box? You mean... you have it? You have Raspberry Pi 5?

@default said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

@deadpool said:

Getting spicy box.

Spicy box? You mean... you have it? You have Raspberry Pi 5?

I will be getting the RPi5 but they won't get into production yet. Preorders only allowing for one.
    I ain't special like some of these people.

But our web server got updated.

Thanked by 1plumberg

I smell something good coming!

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    I smell something good coming!

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh

Well just as I was posting this there were 3x RPi4 available but they got snagged up as quickly as they were posted.
    I guess someone got a notification system for RPi's :lol:

RPi's available at the moment.

1x RPi 3B+ 16GB
    https://my2.dataideas.com/store/rpi-servers/raspberry-pi-3b-1gb-ram16gb-drive

5x RPi 3B+ 32GB
    https://my2.dataideas.com/store/rpi-servers/raspberry-pi-3b-1gb-ram32gb-drive

Got one 32GB left.
    That went quickly... like normal :lol:

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    Got one 32GB left.
    That went quickly... like normal :lol:

If it sells, maybe you should focus sales more on ARM dedicated machines with some large storage attached.

Thanked by 1Erisa