Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

krypt has been down for more than ten hours - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

krypt has been down for more than ten hours

2»

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Robert_baudcom said:
    so long time, have not recovered. I worry much about the data. Do not know they have backup or not.

I hope you do have off site backup so be able to restore the data.

• @emg said:
    What fuels those fires in a colocation facility like that? Could there be quantities of lithium batteries there? (I assume they use lithium batteries in UPSs, right?)

I suppose so. According to Reddit, "The cab that was on fire looks like the aftermath of a car bomb." In that case, the fire was likely battery-related. Only batteries have enough energy to generate an fire/explosion that powerful. Krypt would not disclose specific details. I don't know if colocation customers were allowed access; most remain silent. Did they perhaps have customers sign non-disclosure agreements?

• emgemg Veteran

@forone2006 said:

I suppose so. According to Reddit, "The cab that was on fire looks like the aftermath of a car bomb." In that case, the fire was likely battery-related. Only batteries have enough energy to generate an fire/explosion that powerful. Krypt would not disclose specific details. I don't know if colocation customers were allowed access; most remain silent. Did they perhaps have customers sign non-disclosure agreements?

... or did they fail to follow proper inspection, approval, installation, more inspections, periodic checks, maintenance, etc. of UPS or similar equipment in their facility? ... or did a customer install something without approval, assuming that there is a process?

Based on the little information I have seen (mostly from LowEndTalk), I agree with you that they may be trying to minimize their legal exposure at the expense of better customer friendly/helpful communications.

• emgemg Veteran

@kasodk uncovered another leaked live photo of the incident, posted in a different thread here on LowEndTalk:

@kasodk said:

Thanked by 2Calin kasodk
  • This notice is from 2022. It means:
    1. Digital Realty did regularly inspect the electrical equipment.
    2. Some electrical equipment had become old. Additionally, the gas fire prevention system failed to extinguish the fire. and then, they resorted to spraying water to put out the fire.Water in a datacenter!My first reaction was WTF. This shows that their equipment was indeed aging, and the water sprayed was dirty, causing major damage to servers in row 4. So, they took the facility offline for 15 days. Lots of details from reddit. Krypt/Digital Realty won't disclose any details

Dear Valued Customer,

On Thursday, June 16, 2022, starting at 6:00 AM PDT, Digital Realty will have their electrical vendor will be performing a main circuit breaker repair for the Primary power feed to Colo 4, at 2260 E. El Segundo Blvd., El Segundo, CA.

During the maintenance window, all critical for COLO 4 will be transferred at the PDU to the secondary power feed without any interruption to the critical load. During this time, the main circuit breaker for the Primary power feed will be replaced and tested. Once all work has been completed, critical load will be transferred back to the Primary power feed.