Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sync.com - Good alternative to gdrive?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

sync.com - Good alternative to gdrive?

I have been a google enterprise customer for a very long time, but i want to swap to something else. sync.com claims unlimited storage for 2+ users, who makes very good sense for me, since i store stupid amounts of data. There are some topics around the www about sync, not the replies are VERY negative, or VERY positive. Is there someone here actually using their service, and storing large amounts of data?

My questions would me :

-Are you happy with the speed and stability?
-Is their unlimited claim actually unlimited?
-Does sharing files with links work ok? (also, how is speed here?)

Looking for input before making a final decition. I will use it to backup some backups, a few phones, and my linux iso library. Thanks.

Comments

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

Interested too on this is anyone feeds back

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

@SmallKitten said:
    I have been a google enterprise customer for a very long time, but i want to swap to something else. sync.com claims unlimited storage for 2+ users, who makes very good sense for me, since i store stupid amounts of data. There are some topics around the www about sync, not the replies are VERY negative, or VERY positive. Is there someone here actually using their service, and storing large amounts of data?

My questions would me :

-Are you happy with the speed and stability?
    -Is their unlimited claim actually unlimited?
    -Does sharing files with links work ok? (also, how is speed here?)

Looking for input before making a final decition. I will use it to backup some backups, a few phones, and my linux iso library. Thanks.

was thinking about Dropbox unlimited but not really dug too deep we have google enterprise standard with unmetered but know google is slowly giving a 60 days notice before they lock you out

• edited May 2023

Hopping from "unlimited" service in hopes for another "unlimited" service is a fool's gambit. You will eventually be kicked out, and hope storing those linux ISOs for no good reason is worth it.

Thanked by 1sliix
  • @CyberneticTitan said:
    Hopping from "unlimited" service in hopes for another "unlimited" service is a fool's gambit. You will eventually be kicked out, and hope storing those linux ISOs for no good reason is worth it.

Im storing all my data locally, i only use this for backups. It is not critical at all if it all goes away. Its just a "good to have".

• xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

https://www.sync.com/help/how-does-unlimited-storage-work/

I have Petabytes of data. Will the Pro Teams Unlimited plan work for me?
    Sync is designed for realtime file synchronization and sharing across multiple computers, devices and users. Sync is not optimized for large scale, one-way backups.

• Have you considered Nextcloud? Hetzner has a managed service ("Storage Share") and the prices are awesome.

• Just go with Dropbox

• jlet88jlet88 Member

When I tested sync.com last year I found the performance to be inconsistent and sometimes just terrible. Sometimes truly, shockingly, unbearably slow, and I gave up, canceled. YMMV. Hope you have better luck than I did.

If you don't mind the privacy policy of Google, it's got far better performance. Dropbox used to have GREAT performance when it was primarily on AWS, but I don't how fast and consistent it is today. They've changed their infrastructure a lot since the last time I used them a lot.

If you want something far more private and with decent encryption, there are other services out there to consider. Their performance is not great (for various reasons, including encryption overhead), but their privacy and end-to-end encryption are very good, such as Tresorit, Proton Drive, and Filen. Maybe even check out Skiff Drive, which is a newcomer, but has been improving a lot lately. But since you are coming from Google, I suspect good privacy and encryption are not high on your list.

Rolling your own as suggested by others here is another possibility, and Nextcloud is great, but get a server that has good access times for your geographic location! Using something like Hetzner in Germany is terrible if you are in the US, for example. Tried it from US, awful performance. Again, YMMV. The Hetzner US datacenters have great performance for US customers, though, but they don't offer larger storage yet AFAIK.

And again, if you want a "typical" third party cloud provider and you care about performance, Google and Dropbox (if they didn't break themselves when they moved off AWS) will be hard to beat. Sync.com is a step or two down IMO in terms of performance.

I'd choose pCloud over Sync.com if you wanted to stay in that category of service... but again, you were already satisfied with Google, so... just stay there.

Good luck!

• Thanks for input. I did however end up biting the bullet, paying for 3 users at dropbox in their advanced package. Sad, because ill just use one of them. Turns out at ish 80 euro inc VAT for me for unlimited storage, and thats worth it in the long run.

If someone wants one of the licenses for a little sum of $, feel free to dm me

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited May 2023

@SmallKitten said:
    Thanks for input. I did however end up biting the bullet, paying for 3 users at dropbox in their advanced package. Sad, because ill just use one of them. Turns out at ish 80 euro inc VAT for me for unlimited storage, and thats worth it in the long run.

Understandable decision, lots of good features (except good encryption if that ever matters to you)! As for sharing/selling one of your licenses, I don't recommend you do that, unless you really trust that other person. You don't want them abusing the account and that coming back to haunt you in the future. Not to mention that's probably not allowed in the TOS, which could also come back to haunt you.

• @jlet88 said:

@SmallKitten said:
    Thanks for input. I did however end up biting the bullet, paying for 3 users at dropbox in their advanced package. Sad, because ill just use one of them. Turns out at ish 80 euro inc VAT for me for unlimited storage, and thats worth it in the long run.

Understandable decision, lots of good features (except good encryption if that ever matters to you)! As for sharing/selling one of your licenses, I don't recommend you do that, unless you really trust that other person. You don't want them abusing the account and that coming back to haunt you in the future. Not to mention that's probably not allowed in the TOS, which could also come back to haunt you.

I know the risks. I wont just throw anyone on here. But thanks for your concern.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • Sync.com is coming with unlimited storage (they can handle around 100TB ) storage near PB sync.com file storage serve more and more slower. I bought the sync.com unlimited plan. First time I got two user with main account with unlimited storage and second account with 10TB storage. At the second time I got unlimited storage on both account. I cancelled my plans because of the speed of the sync.com. They are only using one data center. If you can wait for the upload sync.com is the best choice for the unlimited storage. But simply think for the unlimited storage cost month to month and buying the local storage is better than online cloud system.

I uploaded about 600GB to sync.com to take around 15days (if day to day upload). If you use sync desktop app for syncing it may be faster than browser uploading.

In conclusion if you want to share your files with unlimited bandwidth use sync.com. For the better performance and integrate with other storage provider use dropbox.com.

for the file storing purpose only use hetzner storage box or buying local hard disk or ssd with big storage. Buying online storage is more expensive than local storing.

This discussion has been closed.