Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are people backing up their KVM VPSes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How are people backing up their KVM VPSes?

I've got a couple of KVM VPSes with various hosts and I've noticed that some offer backups in their control panels and some don't.

How are people backing up/taking snapshots of their VPSes that don't have this feature (like RackNerd for example)?

Comments

• rsync

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Mentally strong people don't backup.
    YOLO all the way!

• chitreechitree Member

I'm looking into using Borgbackup for backing up KVM VPSes, as it's an E2EE backup solution

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@yoursunny said:
    YOLO all the way!

Haha, just thought to post the same, so the other option to have big balls and rely on provider RAID setup and don’t backup any files, so high chances you do get data back or otherwise you can open a drama topic on LET that provider lost data and you are loosing millions or trillions of dollars per minute 😂😂😂

• Btrfs or lvm snapshots + Borg

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

Rsync / Acronis or a Hypervisor level "if its your own hosting"

• KousakaKousaka Member

ssh server “dd if=/dev/vda” | dd of=server.img for a snapshot. I also have automated weekly file level backup.

• cpsdcpsd Member

I use my custom bash scripts to backup my vps/dedicated.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited May 2023

I use LXD container/VM to begin with and life is sweet

• rober7rober7 Member

@yoursunny said:
    YOLO all the way!

This is the way!

Thanked by 2yoursunny WebProject
  • khaledkhaled Member

@Kousaka said:
    ssh server “dd if=/dev/vda” | dd of=server.img for a snapshot. I also have automated weekly file level backup.

Agree

dd if=/dev/sda of=/var/tmp/sda_disk.img

cron and you're done!

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@decryption said:
    I've got a couple of KVM VPSes with various hosts and I've noticed that some offer backups in their control panels and some don't.

How are people backing up/taking snapshots of their VPSes that don't have this feature (like RackNerd for example)?

Don't rely on Provider's backups. Always keep your remote backups no matter what the Provider does.

• analoganalog Member

Most of the VMs that I need to backed up don't really need to be a full OS backup. So I've just been using duplicati to backup the directories I actually need / want.

• Borgbackup

• ralfralf Member
    edited May 2023

@khaled said:

@Kousaka said:

Agree

dd if=/dev/sda of=/var/tmp/sda_disk.img

cron and you're done!

This is an absolutely terrible idea if the filesystem is mounted read/write. Any time metadata is stored away from the actual data (which is very common for a filesystem), you run the risk of them being very out of sync due to the time difference those two areas of the disk get copied. Any image that's created will be marked as dirty and will need fsck, but it's very likely that fsck won't be able to fix it / or more likely you'll get silent data corruption on anything written while the copy was in progress. Often that's the most important data as well.

Use something that runs on top of the filesystem API of which there are many options including tar, rsync and borgbackup or some proprietary backup systems. Note that even these options aren't good for random-access write files such as databases. In that case, use a tool suitable for your database to export the data to a backup file, and then back that up instead.

The other option is to use a snapshotting filesystem and use that to back up instead. zfs is supposed to make this very simple, although zfs also has a reputation of being hard to set up well too. I've never tried, so I can't comment on that. But anyway, this differs from the original suggestion in that the entire filesystem state is copied instantaneously, even though the time to copy it is obviously much longer. Proxmox also supports this approach using COW snapshots - your entire VPS is paused, a COW copy is made (near instant), and the original VPS is resumed and then the COW copy can be copied.

But whatever you do, don't just dd a disk image, unless it is unmounted or mounted read-only. It might look like it works, but you'll regret it when you actually need to use it for a backup.

• ZreindZreind Member

we pray not to system failure :D

• i dont really have anything on my vps but i mostly just use sftp or rsync to my 1drv

• rcy026rcy026 Member

Restic, Borg or Acronis, depending on the situation. It used to be a pretty even mix but lately it's tilting more and more towards Restic, because it just works everywhere.

• Veeam agent?

• Wasabi storage

• mwtmwt Member

rsnapshot

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited May 2023

Don't backup.

Just complain when shit hits the fan.

/s

• Never snapshot a VPS. Just backup the contents (WordPress), using WPVivid.

• I mostly use LXD containers for the applications, with the disk on btrfs. LXD could be configured to make periodic snapshots, which are in my case result in btrfs snapshots.

After that I export the snapshot over SSH to a dedicated machine configured for write-only SFTP access. That way I have a backup on the machine itself and on a dedicated backup storage.

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • emgemg Veteran

For small personal VPSs: tar and/or rsync.

• i nowadays run a hypervisor myself on bare metal and create vps there for certain tasks, proxmox backup thingy is really nice and can be combined with rclone to upload encrypted backups virtually anywhere

• @yoursunny said: Mentally strong people don't backup.

Haha! Love it!

In all seriousness, Hetzner storage container.