Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest Canadian VPS???
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest Canadian VPS???

hybridizedhybridized Member
edited March 2012 in General

Hi what are some of the cheapest yet reliable VPS providers? I am currently hosted with a sister company of Carat Network and during the past few months their customer support has gone down the drain so I am looking for a switch.

I don't really need much space of BW, I run OpenVPN on the server so don't need anything fancy either, probably 128 MB or 256 MB RAM package with 1-5 GB space and 50-100 GB bandwidth would be perfect.

I also don't want a Montreal / Quebec based hosting but if there are no Ontario based alternatives then I don't mind it.

Recommendations please, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Well I looked at all the ones posted in the offers section and they were all Montreal based, so that's why I made this thread :)

• The low population density of.. the rest of Canada.. would make it hard for any of the budget datacenters to succeed. It is doubtful you'll find one. But if you do find one, please post it here.

• @Damian

Well I am willing to purchase a plan for $5-$10 / month for an Ontario host, any suggestions?

• hybridizedhybridized Member
    edited March 2012

Also what is the best LEB option for me if I do end up purchasing from a Montreal host?

• @DotVPS listed some in the second posting in this thread

• Looks like you will have to do some testing. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104 Search for Toronto.

Maybe that vpsfusion one would be good? that guy has been involved in hosting
    for quite awhile and might be worth a shot.

Also VPSVille.ca is okay other than being a total ripoff at 7.50 (with coupon) for 64MB of ram.

I'd look at opening your search up to Chicago unless you really need a Canadian IP.
    Chicago is 15-20ms away from Toronto and you can get a VPS with the specs you need
    for well under $5 from over a dozen different companies.

Thanked by 1hybridized
  • Thanks for the replies, I'll look into this and get back to you guys.

• hybridizedhybridized Member
    edited March 2012

OMG I checked out VPSFusion and from the beginning of the thread layout I thought I have seen this layout before, and by the end of the thread it was confirmed. I am currently being hosted by this same person on a different company called UBHosting.
    His hosting was good enough when he managed it himself but now since he has either sold it to Carat Network or maybe they are just providing customer support, it has gone down the drain. I have an open ticket for the past two weeks which has not be resolved due to which my account with them has been suspended. I have been with them for about 2 years now and I never expected them to treat me like this. I have no replies on their ticket system and I have no reply from them through email. It's as if they are ignoring me and probably other customers! I am losing business every second my servers are down and I am not happy with them.

That's the reason I opened up this thread in the first place, you see the irony in this?

Thanked by 1JoeMerit
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DotVPS said: Only there IPs are.

And me :P

• @hybridized said: His hosting was good enough when he managed it himself but now since he has either sold it to Carat Network or maybe they are just providing customer support, it has gone down the drain

Thanks for the heads up regarding this guy. Maybe he sold the old company off and started up a new one (seems fairly common these days.) Sorry I couldn't help.

• JTRJTR Member
    edited March 2012

There are one or two superbudget DCs in Canada. Off of the top of my head, there's Yesup (Toronto) and OVH's planned Montreal DC.

• 96mb96mb Member

@JTR: Wondering what the impact would be with the huge OVH DC planned....may be we'll see some 15/yr VPS out of Canada :)

• JTRJTR Member
    edited March 2012

@96mb

Most likely, but after seeing the pics of the in-progress DC, I don't think I want to touch OVH Canada with a 10-foot-stick. I'll stick to BuyVM for my VPS needs and Yesup for my dedi.

• 96mb96mb Member

@DotVPS: I hear some noise from the island of Cyprus...newest hostfail adventure? :)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • 96mb96mb Member

@JTR: where did you see the photos?

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • JTRJTR Member

@96mb said: @JTR: where did you see the photos?

http://www.pcinpact.com/dossier/ovh-datacenter-canada-montreal-amerique/206-1.htm

Honestly, it's not as bad as it could be, but I don't like the looks of it.

• pcanpcan Member

Only Roubaix-4 is a new, purpose-built datacenter building. This is the shiny building on the main OVH web page. According to less popular but still available web pictures, the other 3 OVH datacenter on Roubaix are old industrial buildings like the canadian one. They have experience in retrofitting.

• 96mb96mb Member

Did not really think they are in Strassbourg, I got to say it is perhaps one of the nicest area in France (other than Southern France) and the city is really nice :)

• I'm so happy to see so many replies :D

• nabonabo Member

@DotVPS said: Looks like something a 5/6 year old has made...

Made by a 5/6-year old or not. It's at least working.