Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPTV Piracy Lawsuit Against Datacamp Close to Settlement For Second Time
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPTV Piracy Lawsuit Against Datacamp Close to Settlement For Second Time

treesmokahtreesmokah Member
edited May 2023 in General

In February 2022, UK-based CDN company DataCamp was hit with a $32.5m copyright infringement lawsuit claiming the company failed to disconnect IPTV services identified as repeat infringers. More than a year later a settlement may be in reach but despite putting up a fight, DataCamp has already been required to hand over data related related to 11 pirate IPTV services.

Hosting companies, CDN platforms and consumer ISPs face an increasing risk of being held liable for the activities of their customers.

--

Late March 2023, the Court dismissed DataCamp’s motion to dismiss, without prejudice to later refiling if their settlement negotiations come to nothing.

A settlement conference is currently scheduled for May 23, 2023, at the request of both parties. This week the court agreed an extension of the fact discovery deadline to allow the companies more time to resolve the lawsuit via a settlement before incurring additional costs associated with depositions.

In a joint status report filed on May 5, the parties report that DISH provided a settlement letter to DataCamp on May 2. The CDN company says that it will send its response to DISH by May 16. The contents of those letters are unlikely to appear in public but even for a successful, profitable company like DataCamp, the numbers probably won’t make for great reading.

Datacamp operates CDN77 and Datapacket(currently the most popular public VPN hosting).

https://torrentfreak.com/iptv-piracy-lawsuit-against-datacamp-close-to-settlement-for-second-time-230507/

Thanked by 1maverick

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Honestly, I don't blame them for lawsuits against IPTV services right now. The people running them have gotten WAY too comfortable. I saw someone in a local Facebook group the other day hyping their IPTV service. They're literally taking the playlist from GitHub and reselling it to people, using their real identity tied directly to their social media and their home town. At bare minimum I long for a time when someone who knew they were breaking the law tried like... using a fake name :joy:

Thanked by 1skorous
  • Datacamp has known to host a lot of sketchy stuff. Not exactly surprised they weren't following UK copyright laws.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited May 2023

@ehhthing said:
    Datacamp has known to host a lot of sketchy stuff. Not exactly surprised they weren't following UK copyright laws.

I actually liked their tos, they largely do not care unless court order comes(and that's good). Also their network quality is superb, best us/eu network i've used to date. large ddos protection capacity and there are many possibilities for mitigating attacks. "basic" one easily handles sub 1Tbps attacks(without any bypasses used, just plain volumetric attack) from what i've been told.

in my opinion datapacket/datacamp is really solid, never had a chance to use cdn77 - however Bunny.net largely utilizes datapacket servers, i think they are connected to eachother somehow.

Thanked by 1maverick
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@treesmokah said:
    I actually liked their tos, they largely do not care unless court order comes(and that's good). Also their network quality is superb, best us/eu network i've used to date. large ddos protection capacity and there are many possibilities for mitigating attacks. "basic" one easily handles sub 1Tbps attacks(without any bypasses used, just plain volumetric attack) from what i've been told.

in my opinion datapacket/datacamp is really solid, never had a chance to use cdn77 - however Bunny.net largely utilizes datapacket servers, i think they are connected to eachother somehow.

It's true. I use them in Singapore now (and maybe EU in the future), great in every aspect.

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited May 2023

Ah, entitlement of the takers from the creators.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @TimboJones said:

I'm sure a lot of people on here run plex, maybe share their plex or access someone elses, heck there was even a project to run a LETflix server at one point by some of the posters on here...don't remember what happened to that project in the end but would have been fun.

• somiksomik Member

There are a lot of people who used to pay for netflix cause it allowed then access to TV shows and movies at cheap monthly cost without having to find illegal copies.

However, with the current system of no netflix account sharing, disney+, amazon prime video, and more, how many companies are you going to pay to watch the shows you like? So many will switch back to looking for illegal IPTVs where you can get almost all of the videos for a low/no fee.

• @somik said:
    There are a lot of people who used to pay for netflix cause it allowed then access to TV shows and movies at cheap monthly cost without having to find illegal copies.

However, with the current system of no netflix account sharing, disney+, amazon prime video, and more, how many companies are you going to pay to watch the shows you like? So many will switch back to looking for illegal IPTVs where you can get almost all of the videos for a low/no fee.

LETflix project?

• somiksomik Member

@asterisk14 said:

@somik said:

LETflix project?

Ya, no, I am not taking part in that. The copyright laws in Singapore are way to strict and I dont want to go to jail, ever!

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2023

@somik said:

@asterisk14 said:

@somik said:

LETflix project?

Ya, no, I am not taking part in that. The copyright laws in Singapore are way to strict and I dont want to go to jail, ever!

It was a joke :-) I already have plex

• somiksomik Member

@asterisk14 said:

@somik said:

@asterisk14 said:

@somik said:

LETflix project?

You know what they say. "Anything you say on the internet stays on the internet" and "Anything you say on the internet can and will be used against you" :lol:

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • @somik said:

@asterisk14 said:

@somik said:

@asterisk14 said:

@somik said:

LETflix project?

You know what they say. "Anything you say on the internet stays on the internet" and "Anything you say on the internet can and will be used against you" :lol:

In that case Maybe you shouldn't have quoted my post. Plex has a lot of free content, just have to watch a few ads for it to play, was watching Sorbibor the other day. Another good movie is The Whistleblower on plex free

• somiksomik Member

@asterisk14 said:

@somik said:

@asterisk14 said:

@somik said:

@asterisk14 said:

@somik said:

LETflix project?

In that case Maybe you shouldn't have quoted my post. Plex has a lot of free content, just have to watch a few ads for it to play, was watching Sorbibor the other day. Another good movie is The Whistleblower on plex free

For all I know, you could also be using plex for legally obtained videos or for viewing home videos.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@somik said: For all I know, you could also be using plex for legally obtained videos or for viewing home videos.

And you could use torrenting for perfectly legit purposes.
    That being said, the piracy is flourishing everywhere so it is normal that there would be some backlash. The problem with that comes when the right to privacy is infringed upon, when the host violates their ToS/AUP or the prosecution goes overboard.

There is a fine line between broad surveillance in the name of IP rights or child protection and going 1984. For now I think we are where we should be, more or less, a balance is struck, but it is increasingly tilting towards 1984 and we must not take our eyes from the ball.

In the end, though, total surveillance is inevitable, the majoritarian thinker would always support laws "for the children" or the state/companies would "protect jobs" and that would conveniently introduce the mass surveillance which is already nascent in many places, that is why we need to educate people about ways to circumvent that and stay free and anonymous using a Layer 8, a mesh over the existing infrastructure, fully encrypted and compartmentalized.

• @asterisk14 said:

@TimboJones said:

I'm sure a lot of people on here run plex, maybe share their plex or access someone elses, heck there was even a project to run a LETflix server at one point by some of the posters on here...don't remember what happened to that project in the end but would have been fun.

There's a difference between abusing the system and knowing you're not contributing back, and then there's abusing the system and arrogantly thinking you're entitled to someone else's work and fuck everyone, always.

The whole open source thing is about the creator having control over their creation. The commercial model is different, but the principle that the creator has control is no different. It's amazing when people are ignorant of this and have no shame announcing it.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2023

@TimboJones said:

@asterisk14 said:

@TimboJones said:

There's a difference between abusing the system and knowing you're not contributing back, and then there's abusing the system and arrogantly thinking you're entitled to someone else's work and fuck everyone, always.

The whole open source thing is about the creator having control over their creation. The commercial model is different, but the principle that the creator has control is no different. It's amazing when people are ignorant of this and have no shame announcing it.

You might want to let the following people know how bad they all are, one of them running Plex server was even an ADMIN here:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2333183
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/114883/plex-on-a-nat-vps/p1
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/120890/plex-mega-thread-support-and-questions/p1

Not sure who you think you're talkin to but the things I watch on plex are either ad-supported Plex movies and I watch the ads, or things I would never go to the cinema/netflix for so not loss is caused.

Secondly when I see these media moguls and movie stars earn the same as doctors/nurses/pharmacists and live in 3 bed houses and drive around in toyota corollas, I will be more than happy to contribute to them.

I 100% bet you are using an ad-blocker which is somewhat similar to people using plex. You're getting content and not contributing back!

• remember to seed torrents.
    do not be a leech.

• @treesmokah said:
    remember to seed torrents.
    do not be a leech.

Last time i used torrents was probably 10 years ago along with newsgroups! What do people use them for now when media is easily accessible.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited May 2023

@asterisk14 said:

@treesmokah said:
    remember to seed torrents.
    do not be a leech.

Last time i used torrents was probably 10 years ago along with newsgroups! What do people use them for now when media is easily accessible.

You can get anything on torrents, they are impossible to shut down(besides somehow eliminating all the seeds). Very decentralized nature, combined with extremely nice DHT.

I prefer them over anything else, the most reliable.
    You can of course stream it on something like plex or jellyfin, but always keep in mind just a bit of file storage to help the community with seeding and maybe even create your own library.