Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to prevent credit card deduction
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to prevent credit card deduction

kerm1kerm1 Member

I bought a vps from vps.tech. And it seems deadpooled. (see https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/185902/can-you-visit-the-site-vps-tech)
However, I still recived an invoice from them tody (May 10), scince I provided my credit card information, they directly charged 9.99$ from my card.
So, is it possible to prevent them from charging me?

Comments

• NanjaNanja Member
    edited May 2023

@kerm1 said:
    I bought a vps from vps.tech. And it seems deadpooled. (see https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/185902/can-you-visit-the-site-vps-tech)
    However, I still recived an invoice from them tody (May 10), scince I provided my credit card information, they directly charged 9.99$ from my card.

Yea, call your bank and have them take the money back. Explain the situation clearly.
    I've had this issue and my bank took the money back after I told them what was going on.

They still charged me the next month after too, trying to scam me by changing the ID of the buyer so my bank didn't notice them and block them. So I called them again and they fixed it permanently.

My bank might not be same as your bank though, so idk.

The company that was taking money was my old ISP called optimum. They kept trying to take money each month until my bank fixed it.

Thanked by 1kerm1
  • oyhacooyhaco Member

block the card and request new card :D

Thanked by 1kerm1
  • kerm1kerm1 Member

@Nanja said:

@kerm1 said:

Yea, call your bank and have them take the money back. Explain the situation clearly.
    I've had this issue and my bank took the money back after I told them what was going on.

They still charged me the next month after too, trying to scam me by changing the ID of the buyer so my bank didn't notice them and block them. So I called them again and they fixed it permanently.

My bank might not be same as your bank though, so idk.

The company that was taking money was my old ISP called optimum. They kept trying to take money each month until my bank fixed it.

Thank you very much! I will try to contact to the bank.

• kerm1kerm1 Member

@oyhaco said:

This card is associated with some services, and I may need to transfer/cancel these services before canceling the card :'(

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@kerm1 said:

@oyhaco said:

This card is associated with some services, and I may need to transfer/cancel these services before canceling the card :'(

Mentally strong people use a different card for each service.

Thanked by 1kerm1
  • HostWildHostWild Member, Host Rep

Hello! @kerm1 :)

That's why PayPal is still secure and best choice to pay directly through credit card and also there is a option to fully controls your automatic deduction.

Thanks & Regards,
    Team HostWild.

• Use PayPal from now on, no more credit cards.

• somiksomik Member

Dont use your debit or credit card to sign up? Just get a prepaid card that you can topup and sign up with that for the less reputable sites.

Thanked by 1bottan
  • oyhacooyhaco Member

@bvgfao40723 said:
    Use PayPal from now on, no more credit cards.

is there any fee for using creditcard via paypal?

@somik said:
    Dont use your debit or credit card to sign up? Just get a prepaid card that you can topup and sign up with that for the less reputable sites.

absolutely agree and using prepaid card / virtual card is more safe.

• conceptconcept Member

I use Privacy.com, makes it easy to create new virtual cards, pause and close cards.

Thanked by 1kerm1
  • somiksomik Member

@concept said:
    I use Privacy.com, makes it easy to create new virtual cards, pause and close cards.

What are their additional charges for the virtual card? Any hidden fees or "extra" charges?

• NanjaNanja Member
    edited May 2023

@somik said:

@concept said:

What are their additional charges for the virtual card? Any hidden fees or "extra" charges?

They have a card that lets you refill it with a certain amount every month. Like if I want to spend $18 on a VPS than I would setup a $18 virtual card for the VPS that refills every month just to pay that. Doesn't take any extra money that I know of.

I mostly use single use cards where I fill the card with $25 and for example I used the single use card every month on a VPN for $6 a month. It will take $6 out of the single use card from your bank and then the card isn't usable anymore. Every month I create another single use card.

To me, single use cards are best, if the VPS company or whatever company is a scam, they can't keep pulling from my virtual card.. Unless it's a monthly virtual card.

Well.. you could delete the monthly card too, easy as that.

• conceptconcept Member

@somik said:

@concept said:

Nope.

• titustitus Member

If your bank support, try to use a 'virtual card', or a physical but special 'online card' with sub-account. Most of this solutions have a limitation features on the bank interface (website or phone app). Put always only a small amount to the sub-account/card, which is enough to renew the relevant services. Try to use the cards directly only with reliable, long-time used providers. Do not save the card informations on the provider's website or on the card acceptor's interface, if it's optional. For new or unknown providers use PayPal. Sadly there is no 100% solutions, but you can reduce the risks.

• VoidVoid Member

@concept said:

Isn’t it only for US citizens?

• somiksomik Member

@Nanja said:

They have a card that lets you refill it with a certain amount every month. Like if I want to spend $18 on a VPS than I would setup a $18 virtual card for the VPS that refills every month just to pay that. Doesn't take any extra money that I know of.

I mostly use single use cards where I fill the card with $25 and for example I used the single use card every month on a VPN for $6 a month. It will take $6 out of the single use card from your bank and then the card isn't usable anymore. Every month I create another single use card.

To me, single use cards are best, if the VPS company or whatever company is a scam, they can't keep pulling from my virtual card.. Unless it's a monthly virtual card.

Oh, single use cards sounds great. Does it expire after 1 month or can you keep using it till the balance runs empty? Also any way to topup the card or need to create new single use card with new balance?

@concept said:

@somik said:

@concept said:

Nope.

Thanks, good to know.

@jmaxwell said:

@concept said:

Wait, is that so? Too bad...

• NanjaNanja Member

@somik said:

@Nanja said:

Oh, single use cards sounds great. Does it expire after 1 month or can you keep using it till the balance runs empty? Also any way to topup the card or need to create new single use card with new balance?

I don't think single cards expire after 1 month, but once you use it no matter how much you spend it becomes deactivated. Like if I set it $50 and spend $5 it can't be used anymore, but no worries it will only take $5 from your bank... So you can't keep using it. You will need to create a new card with a new balance, yea you are right.

• somiksomik Member

@Nanja said:

@somik said:

I don't think single cards expire after 1 month, but once you use it no matter how much you spend it becomes deactivated. Like if I set it $50 and spend $5 it can't be used anymore, but no worries it will only take $5 from your bank... So you can't keep using it. You will need to create a new card with a new balance, yea you are right.

Oh! Then that's good. I thought you need to topup a predefined amount. If it just deducts the same amount from your bank, then that's Ok.

• @oyhaco said:

In my country this doesn’t stop a continuous payment authority, ymmv

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@jmaxwell said:

@concept said:

maybe revolut? i know they have a virtual card function. i’ve used it before

• kerm1kerm1 Member

I'll use a virtual card for the website where PayPal isn't supported. Thanks, everyone!

• It seems like less hassle to just cancel the service (when you suspect deadpool) than dicking around with virtual cards and calling banks.

• NanjaNanja Member

@TimboJones said:
    It seems like less hassle to just cancel the service (when you suspect deadpool) than dicking around with virtual cards and calling banks.

I agree, this is very true. I don't know if there is a way to cancel a service that takes down website and disappears right after you make your first payment though using a card.

• @Nanja said:

@TimboJones said:
    It seems like less hassle to just cancel the service (when you suspect deadpool) than dicking around with virtual cards and calling banks.

I agree, this is very true. I don't know if there is a way to cancel a service that takes down website and disappears right after you make your first payment though using a card.

That's known as a donation.

• oyhacooyhaco Member

@darkimmortal said:

@oyhaco said:

In my country this doesn’t stop a continuous payment authority, ymmv

What do you mean with continous payment authority?

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@bruh21 said:

@jmaxwell said:

@concept said:

Works well. Great for traveling and exchanging currency, too.

• VoidVoid Member

@SirFoxy said:

@bruh21 said:

@jmaxwell said:

@concept said:

Well I tried signing up and it says I’m on a waitlist.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@jmaxwell said:

@SirFoxy said:

@bruh21 said:

@jmaxwell said:

@concept said:

Well I tried signing up and it says I’m on a waitlist.

Geo? It started in the UK and I was on the waitlist until it made its way to the states. Not sure what all countries it supports.