Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH is terrible
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH is terrible

What happened to OVH. It has become such a crappy company. Bad hosting, terrible dashboard, and no support response. I had a lot of servers from them and still have some, but looking to move on completely. Anyone have any thoughts about their experience? Use Hetzner as well. Any suggestions on others?

Comments

• PagePage Member

Before using OVH, you should read:

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/ovhcloud.com

Kicking out the low-end users is what OVH loves to do now.

And they screwed up.

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

I personally haven't had issues with OVH myself, but they aren't that provider I've dealt with the most.

Purely from a user experience perspective though, they feel terrible. The seperation of their different sites (Kimsufi, SyS, OVH) and different regions that runs different promotions means that you can easily miss a service and/or offering. I remember at first I ordered through a offer here from LET and had issues logging into my account until I figured they my order was at ovh.ca and I tried logging in at ovh.com.
    Their dashboard is slow and terrible. They're not particular cheap anymore either, and still only offering 250/500mbps on most their servers is a joke. Even though I haven't had issues with them, I cannot say anything good either.

Thanked by 2maverick yongsiklee
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I have used them a fair bit, network seems fine. Uptime seems ok..

If you get any billing tickets, just don't expect a response anytime soon.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • I just host stuff in my bathroom because I can have immediate fire support unlike strasbourg.

• conceptconcept Member

Using a reseller of OVH is way better than actually using OVH because they get to deal with the headache. Also depending on your budget and specs you are looking for, there may be some alternatives.

• Thanks for this thread, i actually have the same complaints with OVH lately.
    I have 7 or 8 server with them and had a problem with one. I opened a technical
    ticket in hope someone would take care of the problem - it was related with their infrastructure - not a problem on my end but no one ever replied to that ticket.

Then I got a survey which I wanted to express my thinkings about their service but even their survey links wouldn't work as it was OVH but I could not log in with SYS / KS login - with my OVH login the survey was not possible.

I know I'm not paying a bunch of money for this amount of servers but they should take care of customers or just quit the low-end market entirely.

Thanked by 1maverick
  • I used them for a dedicated server in Canada but stopped since they're no longer cheap (iirc, after the IP prices increased). Billing responses need like one whole day to wait; technical support takes way longer (my instance was having a bad disk and it took them a month going back and forth to finally agree to replace it).

• umzakumzak Member

I've tried for a while, the dashboard is very slow

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited May 2023

No significant issues here, they remain my #1 choice for on-call production services. I’m not aware of other dedi providers at any price point that will investigate and even replace hardware if your server stops responding, without me needing to be awake/sober to put in a ticket

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 2023

Lmao

I love how people personally not liking OVH say that they’re not cheap anymore

No other provider could provide what I got at OVH at a lower price, NONE

They are cheap; sorry to hurt the feelings of the OVH haters

Instead, bring up actually valid criticism

• If they cost more than $7 they better provide real support lol
    see trustpilot :^)

• emghemgh Member

@ScreenReader said:
    If they cost more than $7 they better provide real support lol
    see trustpilot :^)

No I won’t see TrustPilot

Them not hand-holding users, at their scale, result in bas reviews from stupid people

I’m not saying there’s no value in any review

There is

But the vast majority is just bullshit tbh

• LeviLevi Member

How you pronounce word "terrible"? In english or in france? Like terriblè, terrìble!

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@LTniger said:
    How you pronounce word "terrible"? In english or in france? Like terriblè, terrìble!

French way, the only way

Thanked by 1Levi
  • @LTniger said:

terrbul

• HostWildHostWild Member, Host Rep

Hello! @bruno05

Actually, OVH is still best for servers Up-time guarantee. We also resell many servers from them. But yes if you are a newbie and want managed support from them so probably it could not be good option for you.

Thanks & Regards,
    Team HostWIld.

• emghemgh Member

@HostWild said: Actually, OVH is still best for servers Up-time guarantee

I like OVH, but what?

• insoxininsoxin Member

I have been using ovh's mail service, which is very stable. Seeing the above answer, I have plans to migrate to Microsoft mailbox

Thanked by 1Donkey
  • somiksomik Member

I think he may have bought the OVH Kimsurfi server. Those are known to be bad.

• DonkeyDonkey Member
    edited May 2023

In 2014, Ovh terminated my vps for fake dmca and refused to provide any backup. No reply over email communication, I cried over phone calls and left with no answer and help. Fortunately I had a week old backup to restart.
    Since then I never looked back at them. I was so happy to hear that their whole dc got fire. They deserve fire breakout in all of their dc 🖕🖕🖕 Ovh

Thanked by 1Page
  • wotetiwoteti Member

@Page said:

And they screwed up.

That's fine as long as they do right by their highend users (ignore customers with legit issues less, fix billing, automation). Unless they're drowning in customers that they need to get rid of some without getting new ones.

Every time there's a thread like this someone comes along and points out their great uptime. Meh, uptime is nothing much. Modern hardware are pretty reliable. You can get great uptime from just about any provider. It's issues resolution that matters.

Thanked by 1Page
  • PagePage Member
    edited May 2023

@woteti said:

@Page said:

And they screwed up.

That's fine as long as they do right by their highend users (ignore customers with legit issues less, fix billing, automation). Unless they're drowning in customers that they need to get rid of some without getting new ones.

Every time there's a thread like this someone comes along and points out their great uptime. Meh, uptime is nothing much. Modern hardware are pretty reliable. You can get great uptime from just about any provider. It's issues resolution that matters.

I thought there was nothing wrong with OVH until they deleted my account and refused to refund me.

But now, they don't care if you are a new or returning customer.

If you act suspiciously, they can close your account at any time and refuse to refund you and refuse to respond to you.

Thanked by 1woteti
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

@Page said:

And they screwed up.

They love the enterprises that pay for the Managed Services. This brings them ALOT of revenue and I was straight up told to my face that if you want actual support, you're going to have to get their add-on paid services.

Would not recommend it anymore.

Thanked by 1Page
  • EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

@bruno05 said:
    Anyone have any thoughts about their experience?

I've used OVH, SoYouStart and KimSufi over the years and haven't had any issues. I currently have both dedicated servers and VPS' with OVH and have no complaints.

No company is going to suit everyone's needs, but they suit mine perfectly fine :)

Thanked by 1Donkey
  • somiksomik Member
    edited May 2023

@EthernetServers said:

@bruno05 said:
    Anyone have any thoughts about their experience?

I've used OVH, SoYouStart and KimSufi over the years and haven't had any issues. I currently have both dedicated servers and VPS' with OVH and have no complaints.

No company is going to suit everyone's needs, but they suit mine perfectly fine :)

Either way, there are a LOT more worse hosts out there selling their services and banking on good SEO and advertisements to get money from people.

Take a look at this monitoring log from one of the hosts ( https://www.interserver.net/webhosting/ ) I am monitoring. I got the shared hosting from them and will be terminating the contract by the end of this month:

• Smith42Smith42 Member

What is the problem you're facing, you haven't told us anything about your problem?

I rent servers from 20+ hosts and OVH has the best uptime and incident support response (automatic hardware replacement). Their Billing and Technical Advice support is definitely quite bad, but I don't pay for the upgraded support levels, and I'm assuming you don't either, so it is hard to expect a lot when you're using servers that cost below market price.

Thanked by 2emgh DanSummer
  • JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

@aqua said:

@Page said:

And they screwed up.

They love the enterprises that pay for the Managed Services. This brings them ALOT of revenue and I was straight up told to my face that if you want actual support, you're going to have to get their add-on paid services.

Would not recommend it anymore.

OVH Sales Team told me dont pay for it wont make any difference haha ;-) still get the same support unless you got for enterprise and get dedicated point of contact. thats before i quite OVH and went colo with our hosting

• GhtGht Member

They will bankrrupt soon. Avoid them

Thanked by 1Donkey
  • emghemgh Member

@Ght said:
    They will bankrrupt soon. Avoid them

bruh

• @LTniger said:

France is a long way to go just to say a word.