Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a yearly low cost server capable of running a CSGO server, max 16 players
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a yearly low cost server capable of running a CSGO server, max 16 players

peejaygeepeejaygee Member
edited May 2023 in Help

So, currently I have a VPS wireguarded back to a box at home for a few servers I use during my community weekends, and due to the nature of my weekends, these games don't get played that often, so the servers get turned off and on as needed.

But, it turns out, that CSGO Dedicated is configured in a way, that a dedicated sever running from my home IP is conflicting with my VPS wireguard IP, so only I can connect, everybody else gets a Join/Kick and I get an error 10 in the log, further digging into this, it's because of the age of the CSGO dedicated servers (like OG CSGO) and me needing a GRETunnel to connect.

All that is way over my head, so I figured I'd just rent a server that is capable of running a CSGO server.

Searching online, the prices they are high, for the amount of time I'd use it and the small amount of players on it, I figured it would be cheaper to rent one (KVM/VPS/Dedicated) and manage it myself, rather than using the well known/larger ones that charge like $14.99 per month ($180 a year)

For example, I'm renting a Wreckfest one for $80 odd a year, which is fine for me, for my use, so I was looking for something similar and/or around that price (or even cheaper)

I believe a dual core (3.0gz+) 16 gig of ram should be enough for me and my uses. And I'd like to install a panel (like Pterodactyl, or something) for easy remote management?

Can anybody give me any guidance, directions or companies that are always hidden in the google search due to 'Sponsored' results getting priority?

EDIT: I'm USA East Coast, and would prefer that, but if not that is cool too.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Can you share more details of your WireGuard setup? It is definitely possible to tunnel SRCDS over WireGuard

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2023

what mods are you running that require 16gb ram? thats a shit ton for csgo

are people going to be on 24/7? or just sometimes?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Even an intel atom can run a csgo server with 16 slots.
    The issue is going to be, cpu steal, if you go to low.

You don't need dedicated cores however, if you unlucky, your csgo server is going to lag a lot.

• @darkimmortal said:
    Can you share more details of your WireGuard setup? It is definitely possible to tunnel SRCDS over WireGuard

What details are you needing? Happy to provide if it gets my server going. :)

Both machines are connected with an 'internal' IP (192.168.x.x) if I ping from my homebox to the VPS, I get a reply. I even tried setting up the CSGO server as a 'LAN" thinking that technically it's using 192.x.x.x

All I know is my TF2 server, MC server and Satisfactory server work, my CSGO doesn't (and reddit and Steam Communities didn't help)

• @bruh21 said:
    what mods are you running that require 16gb ram? thats a shit ton for csgo

are people going to be on 24/7? or just sometimes?

None, right now, generally I've 'heard' on Google, the more ram the better, and nope, they'd not be on 24/7 only when I'm playing with my community at the weekends, even then it's if we decide to play CSGO and not something else.

• @Neoon said:
    Even an intel atom can run a csgo server with 16 slots.
    The issue is going to be, cpu steal, if you go to low.

You don't need dedicated cores however, if you unlucky, your csgo server is going to lag a lot.

Yeah that is what I was worrying about, the shared core, hence turning to her for some guidance.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2023

what location?

i have one for a couple friends in virmach denver
    https://virmach.com/vps-price-match-refugee-offers/

works well enough on 2.5GB ram, you might need more if you have more concurrent players or mods

• @bruh21 said:
    what location?

i have one for a couple friends in virmach denver
    https://virmach.com/vps-price-match-refugee-offers/

works well enough on 2.5GB ram, you might need more if you have more concurrent players or mods

I've just edited my post to include that, thanks for mentioning.

I'm East Coast USA, so the closer the better.

• GhtGht Member
    edited May 2023

1GB RAM
    1Core 3.0 GHZ works perfectly with 10 players.
    But you must have good Connection i suggest over 500Mbps or 1Gbit line.

But dont forget that Valve uses only 1 Core per Game Server if you have 4 cores into the server the Valve only consumes 1.