Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discord Is Forcing Everyone to Pick a New Username
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Discord Is Forcing Everyone to Pick a New Username

Tony40Tony40 Member

Goodbye discriminators, hello angry Discord users who can't find a new username they like.

Discord is changing the way usernames work, and it means absolutely everyone who uses Discord is being forced to pick a new username.

Writing on the Discord blog(Opens in a new window), CTO and co-founder Stanislav Vishnevskiy explains how the growing popularity of the instant messaging social platform meant "small issues that seemed to impact a few people started affecting tens of millions of people." Many of those issues are to do with the way in which usernames work.

The current username format combines a selected name with a four-digit suffix called a "discriminator." That worked just fine to a point, but Discord found sharing a username such as "phibi#8936" was error prone, not only because you could type the number wrong, but because the first part of the username is case sensistive. Therefore the usernames PhIBI#8936 and phibi#8936 are for different people.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/discord-is-forcing-everyone-to-pick-a-new-username

Comments

• I see no problem with that.

Thanked by 1ooowwww
  • Tony40Tony40 Member

Discord's Planned Username Change Is Causing Serious Annoyance

Discord users have loudly expressed concern that the planned change could leave them without the username they want.

Discord’s plan to drop four-digit-appended usernames for Twitter-style “@” handles is causing considerable upset.

The instant messaging app announced it would switch its current format which sees names combined with a four-digit suffix called a “discriminator” earlier this week.

Most of the criticism around the idea stems around concern that it could leave many without the username they want. Some Reddit users said that a battle for desired usernames could ensue and lead to scammers and opportunists stealing usernames and selling them for inflated prices.

“Bro discord usernames [will] be like insta .... https://www.pcmag.com/news/discords-planned-username-change-is-causing-serious-annoyance

• inlandinland Member

OGUsers likes this

• WarkosWarkos Member

Sincerely, it's a change for the better. You don't know how many cases of identity theft have occurred with their current garbage username system

Thanked by 1ooowwww
  • JabJabJabJab Member

Our auto-post AI evolves - it can even post comments not only new topics.
    Shocked.

Thanked by 3Calin Erisa emgh
  • dosaidosai Member

Nitro users can't flex their 0001 now.

• I knew when I created my discord account that the username they give you is stupid and retarded, loverboy6969

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

I never understood Discord's username implementation. What was the benefit of case sensitive usernames with numbers behind them that you can't choose?

Was there a published reason behind re-inventing usernames?

To this day, I try to like Discord, but it's just a clunky piece of shit that I can never get used to it.

Thanked by 2Void 0xbkt
  • it will be pure chaos.
    can't wait to hear about sim swapping discord accounts for usernames.

Thanked by 1bruh21
  • srch07srch07 Member
    edited May 2023

@MannDude said:
    I never understood Discord's username implementation. What was the benefit of case sensitive usernames with numbers behind them that you can't choose?

Was there a published reason behind re-inventing usernames?

To this day, I try to like Discord, but it's just a clunky piece of shit that I can never get used to it.

Even though discord has went through multiple changes over years.
    It's still good for only one thing, game voice chat communication (like raid communication etc). Rest everything is just way too cluttered. Heck, it's a pain to even go to start of messages in a channel if you want to.

I do like the Broadcast feature they have on Midjourney discord though.

• ralfralf Member

Maybe it's just an attempt to sow discord among the users. I'll get my hat.

• DecicusDecicus Member
    edited May 2023

@srch07 said:
    Heck, it's a pain to even go to start of messages in a channel if you want to.

The easiest way I found to do this was to use the Discord search with after:1970-01-01 and then clicking "Old" where it lists all the results:

First result should be the first message in the channel history.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2023

@JabJab said: Our auto-post AI evolves - it can even post comments not only new topics.

I'm laught on this :))

Thanked by 1bruh21
  • edited May 2023

Does it matter? PhiBi#8936 == @PhiBi8936 as far as I am concerned.

At the end of the day you can set your own display name different from the handle.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@dosai said:

Apparently Nitro users got priority about non nitro.
    Fucking Discord.

• @Warkos said:
    Sincerely, it's a change for the better. You don't know how many cases of identity theft have occurred with their current garbage username system

This. Scams are getting more and more common and more and more effective.

Plus, as a user of discord for like 8 years -- I still have no idea what my 4 numbers are. Like, absolutely no idea. So if I want to give someone my username, for a program I've used basically daily for a long time, I have to open it and check.

Thanked by 1Calin
  • emghemgh Member

@Calin said:

@JabJab said: Our auto-post AI evolves - it can even post comments not only new topics.

I'm laught on this :))

I've promised mods that I'm making a Python bot to automatically post news every few hours if this don't stop (call it civil disobedience, nonviolent resistance, or just standing up for what's right).

Let's have the home page be filled with news or not allow it.

One of the two is happening.

• @Neoon said:

@dosai said:

Fucking Discord.

Not aware of this.
    Discord said the older your account is, the sooner you will be able to "change" your username to the new format. There was no mention of Nitro users having any priority.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@treesmokah said:

@Neoon said:

@dosai said:

Fucking Discord.

Not aware of this.
    Discord said the older your account is, the sooner you will be able to "change" your username to the new format. There was no mention of Nitro users having any priority.

They updated it.

• @Neoon said: They updated it.

Unfortunate.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@srch07 said: I do like the Broadcast feature they have on Midjourney discord though.

The only reason I use Discord.

And I use the MJ bot on my own private server because trying to use MJ's servers is cacophony.

• I member that one man died from swatting because of his Twitter handle

It's unfortunate that most Discord users are targeted at a not-yet-mature audience, so all that shitshow that happens with Twitter will also happen in Discord, but worse

• oyhacooyhaco Member

case sensitive username is bad decision