Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First actually funny LEB post
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

emghemgh Member

Just wanted to say that after YEARS of going to LEB and just being disappointed with LowEndPosts advertising hosts that basically nobody could care less about, I finally enjoyed reading an article on there.

While @SirFoxy and I have had our disagreements he's doing wonders for LEB.

I see he published three articles, and I've only gotten around to reading two of them:

The Downfall of the Man Famous for Keeping Alt-Right Websites Up, and Perhaps the Company Behind it...

About Epik, interesting but funny.

They Laughed at Me When I Said I Wanted to Start My Own Host, but When I Started to Build My Own Datacenter…

About romanian providers, I guess you can guess which.

This one I found even funnier and more interesting than the one above, because the words of a sarcastic @SirFoxy, a sister-loving @cociu, a bargaining @Calin and the opportunistic @FlorinMarian sound so alike I actually sometimes had to verify if something was a joke or if said person actually wrote what was claimed.

A little new tone for LEB but so far I like it and I'll probably be somewhat of a regular again.

I hope to have opened the eyes of some old timers who have previously given up on LEB like I've had, it might be time to reevaluate.

So yeah, this one's a keeper @jbiloh

Comments

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@emgh said:
    Just wanted to say that after YEARS of going to LEB and just being disappointed with LowEndPosts advertising hosts that basically nobody could care less about, I finally enjoyed reading an article on there.

While @SirFoxy and I have had our disagreements he's doing wonders for LEB.

I see he published three articles, and I've only gotten around to reading two of them:

The Downfall of the Man Famous for Keeping Alt-Right Websites Up, and Perhaps the Company Behind it...

About Epik, interesting but funny.

They Laughed at Me When I Said I Wanted to Start My Own Host, but When I Started to Build My Own Datacenter…

About romanian providers, I guess you can guess which.

This one I found even funnier and more interesting than the one above, because the words of a sarcastic @SirFoxy, a sister-loving @cociu, a bargaining @Calin and the opportunistic @FlorinMarian sound so alike I actually sometimes had to verify if something was a joke or if said person actually wrote what was claimed.

A little new tone for LEB but so far I like it and I'll probably be somewhat of a regular again.

I hope to have opened the eyes of some old timers who have previously given up on LEB like I've had, it might be time to reevaluate.

So yeah, this one's a keeper @jbiloh

Haha thank you sir 🙏

Thanked by 1emgh
  • PagePage Member

You're God damn right.

Thanked by 2emgh yongsiklee
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2023

Quite interesting, I didn't know about that post, but I specify that I do not identify with my other 2 competitors at all (either of them - one dead and the other in full growth).

In my opinion, it's only a matter of time until the NAT VMs will start attacking government institutions in Romania and the authorities will seize the servers to investigate what is happening there.

It happened to us who offer dedicated IP addresses to be at the limit of the law, I don't want to imagine when it will be found that many messes have the same unique address.

Good luck competitor in life, but I wouldn't want him as a model :)

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello @SirFoxy very interesting article , good job!

Thanked by 2SirFoxy emgh
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@Calin said:
    Hello @SirFoxy very interesting article , good job!

Appreciate it!

Thanked by 1emgh
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@FlorinMarian said:
    Quite interesting, I didn't know about that post, but I specify that I do not identify with my other 2 competitors at all (either of them - one dead and the other in full growth).

In my opinion, it's only a matter of time until the NAT VMs will start attacking government institutions in Romania and the authorities will seize the servers to investigate what is happening there.

It happened to us who offer dedicated IP addresses to be at the limit of the law, I don't want to imagine when it will be found that many messes have the same unique address.

Good luck competitor in life, but I wouldn't want him as a model :)

So to clarify:

You do not have any intentions of starting a perfume company?

/s

Thanked by 3Patriarch sgno1 emgh
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@SirFoxy is awesome

C'mon we've done some funny things previously...

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 2023

@raindog308 said:
    @SirFoxy is awesome

C'mon we've done some funny things previously...

Lol sorry rainy dog

I appreciate your effors but it's too wholesome for me

I like the underdog-kicking-and-screaming-type LEB

Reason + Sarcasm + PMS (just as a spice) = <3

To be fully honest: I think your posts are needed to balance it out and make LEB a little more welcoming, especially to those not yet into the whole LET-culture, both LEB and LET should have some threads/posts that actually make sense from an outside perspective. As for LEB being attractive to long-time readers and users, I think SirFoxy is needed too

Thanked by 2Calin raindog308
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2023

I disagree in part.

The general conditions in Romania are not the "wild east". There is a good network infrastructure, yes, free speech is allowed, yes, the threshold for raiding is high, yes, the costs for a real datacenter are low, yes, but that doesn't mean this is a lawless country, just one where many people are interested in communications.
    The DMCA ignored thing is real to the extent that it is not a Romanian law, but there are copyrighters here, organized and cooperating with the police, so I wouldn't put much trust in people breaking the law, as Cociu's case shows, sooner or later there are raids, only that, as I have said, the threshold for that is rather high, much higher than in other places, but if you advertise "DMCA ignored" you will certainly cross it.

Yes, many people are enthusiastic here, this is what made Romanian internet so cheap and reliable, many people started laying cables across roofs in the nineties and some of them (RCS, RDS, RCS-RDS, DIGI and many incarnations of it is one example) made it big starting with nothing, really, just some rolls of coax cable.

Now, of course there were thousands others that failed or quit (myself included), nobody cares, at that price, the risk is included, so, before mocking people, you should actually look into the conditions in here which are wildly different (with the good and the bad) compared to a place where the monopolies are in place for decades and are wielding a lot of political power.

Thanked by 2SirFoxy vedran

@emgh said: too wholesome

My God what I have fallen to...

Thanked by 2emgh Frameworks
  • emghemgh Member

@raindog308 said:

@emgh said: too wholesome

My God what I have fallen to...

Ageing my guy

Thanked by 1Frameworks
  • 3 internet connections from 2 different providers (in total 350MBps guaranteed and 3GBps best effort)

Was that meant to be Megabytes and Gigabytes per second or bits per second? The latter is the proper nomenclature.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited May 2023

@Maounique said:
    I disagree in part.

The general conditions in Romania are not the "wild east". There is a good network infrastructure, yes, free speech is allowed, yes, the threshold for raiding is high, yes, the costs for a real datacenter are low, yes, but that doesn't mean this is a lawless country, just one where many people are interested in communications.
    The DMCA ignored thing is real to the extent that it is not a Romanian law, but there are copyrighters here, organized and cooperating with the police, so I wouldn't put much trust in people breaking the law, as Cociu's case shows, sooner or later there are raids, only that, as I have said, the threshold for that is rather high, much higher than in other places, but if you advertise "DMCA ignored" you will certainly cross it.

Yes, many people are enthusiastic here, this is what made Romanian internet so cheap and reliable, many people started laying cables across roofs in the nineties and some of them (RCS, RDS, RCS-RDS, DIGI and many incarnations of it is one example) made it big starting with nothing, really, just some rolls of coax cable.

Now, of course there were thousands others that failed or quit (myself included), nobody cares, at that price, the risk is included, so, before mocking people, you should actually look into the conditions in here which are wildly different (with the good and the bad) compared to a place where the monopolies are in place for decades and are wielding a lot of political power.

I wouldn't really call it mocking, at the end I say it's up to them to prove they're here to stay. The reality of the situation is there is a certain level of skepticism to Romanian providers after @cociu though. Anyways, it's free advertising so it benefits both of the people mentioned. I guarantee you at least one sale for both of them will come directly from that article.

Appreciate your perspective coming from a Romanian, though.

Thanked by 1emgh
    edited May 2023

@SirFoxy said: at the end I say it's up to them to prove they're here to stay

That was always the bloody point with Romanians, Ukrainians et all, they all have to prove something first, isn't it?

The US destroyed the aboriginals, more or less, enslaved people, had a lawless west for decades, invaded many countries, had spectacular failures in all areas of doing business, but they never need to prove anything because they are from the US, right?

Exxon doesn't have to prove anything because of Enron, hundreds of startups are getting funding every day, for nothing really, failing and doing a runner the next month, but the Romanians always have to prove on their own money. There was direct investment in Hungary 53k per capita since 1990, Romania got 6k per capita, 9 times less, even in absolute numbers it is 5 times more in Hungary, a country 2 times smaller, and what did we do with that? GDPs per capita are almost the same today.

Well, guess what, we did prove it, Romania has one of the best and cheapest internets in the world, that is not a "scheme", a pump and dump, which lasted for what, 8 years, like in the case of cociu? Romania has the best rate of growth compared to all neighbours, unlike the Magyars, the Poles, the Baltic people even, Romania always had "to prove" worthy...

Yes, there are problems, problems I am very well aware of and explained pretty clearly, nobody is perfect, but I do feel a wee bit of a bias there, don't you agree?

And, BTW, I can do much better humour, that is really weak sauce.
    There you have it, rant finished.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

Thanked by 2emgh ralf
  • emghemgh Member

@Maounique create a funny piece then, shame on LEB if it’s actually good and not published

If you don’t, you’ve lost

• vedranvedran Veteran

@emgh said:
    @Maounique create a funny piece then, shame on LEB if it’s actually good and not published

If you don’t, you’ve lost

That's not how it works ... I also don't see anything funny in those posts, if you do, good for you.

Thanked by 2Maounique TimboJones
  • emghemgh Member
    edited May 2023

@vedran said: That's not how it works ...

New topic idea: "Breaking news: This is the correct prodecure to prove that you're funny on LET according to @vedran"

To be fair though I think you're probably a very funny person. I can tell by the "I also don't see anything funny in those posts" - funny people tend to be very clear about pointing out what they don't find funny when other people are laughing. It's one of the many pillars of being a funny person.

• @emgh said:

@vedran said: That's not how it works ...

New topic idea: "Breaking news: This is the correct prodecure to prove that you're funny on LET according to @vedran"

To be fair though I think you're probably a very funny person. I can tell by the "I also don't see anything funny in those posts" - funny people tend to be very clear about pointing out what they don't find funny when other people are laughing. It's one of the many pillars of being a funny person.

Don't die on this hill. I looked at the articles only because you said they were funny and they weren't even close and left me with "you wasted my time" feeling. So not that you should care, but you have lost comedy credibility with me (and likely others based on the feedback). It. Wasn't. Funny.

Thanked by 2emgh SirFoxy
  • emghemgh Member
    edited May 2023

@TimboJones said: you have lost comedy credibility with me

This is actually very funny, made me laugh

It's much funnier compared to the LEB posts, but I think the fact that it dosen't seem to be intended is what makes it

Was it intended?

Either way it deserves to be my first ever signature

Thanked by 2TimboJones SirFoxy
  • emghemgh Member

New LEB post suggestion: "@emgh has lost his comedy credibility with @TimboJones and he really cares about that"

Thanked by 2TimboJones emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@Maounique you have lost comedy credibility with me!!!!

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@emgh said:

gone. zilch. out of here. see ya comedic credibility.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Did not expect to see an article like this on here, good article though! :smile:

Thanked by 2SirFoxy emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited May 2023

@SirFoxy said:

@emgh said:

The fact that ”you have lost comedy credibility with me” was actually written at all in the first place ..

I’m still amused just reading it

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@emgh said:

@SirFoxy said:

@emgh said:

The fact that ”you have lost comedy credibility with me” was actually written at all in the first place ..

I’m still amused just reading it

The Romanian article actually got picked up by Google Discover lol.

Thanked by 1emgh

Yeah, because push-ups are a bit too much.