Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to assign Static IP to Proxmox windows VMs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to assign Static IP to Proxmox windows VMs

Hello guys,
I have installed proxmox into a dedicated server and created multiple windows VMs, now the issue is I have taken 5-6 IPs from my datacenter now I want to setup the IP addresses into the VMs without login into the VMs.

My Main goal is to sell windows RDP servers to my customers, Now if I setup the IP address manually my clients can also change the IP address and set it into another IP in the same subnet which may cause issues for me. Also if I do this thing manually I need a dedicated person to process the orders, So I want to setup the IP address to each VMs from proxmox dashboard.

Please tell me how I can do this? Also is there any better way to do rather than proxmox?

Comments

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

You can make Windows support Cloud init though some 3rd party ? https://cloudbase.it/cloudbase-init/

Also, for Proxmox side:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cloud-Init_Support

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

DHCP server to statically assign the ip via a MAC address. Plenty of howto on Google

• @PieHasBeenEaten said:
    DHCP server to statically assign the ip via a MAC address. Plenty of howto on Google

I have tried all the tutorials but the DHCP server returning some errors, Can you please share a working how-to? If you have some time to look into the matter? I know it is not a right way but please if you can help me it will be a great help <3

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited May 2023

OP is in over his head and not an admin. Otherwise, he'd know that there's nothing he can do to prevent them from changing the IP in Windows and causing problems unless he implemented a much more complicated IP/port binding.

Also, he couldn't get a DHCP server working even from several tutorials? Uh oh...

Years ago, I found Dual Server (on Windows) was one of the easier DHCP servers to configure and use. I see they also have Linux support.

• @samratfkt said:

@PieHasBeenEaten said:

I have tried all the tutorials but the DHCP server returning some errors, Can you please share a working how-to? If you have some time to look into the matter? I know it is not a right way but please if you can help me it will be a great help <3

It's far easier to say what you tried and got stuck on than someone else trying to guess wtf you're trying to do and train a non technical person to do that.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited May 2023

opnsense router and virtual IP's.
    1:1 nat, unless you got bgp.
    https://www.wundertech.net/how-to-install-opnsense-in-proxmox/

• @TimboJones said:
    OP is in over his head and not an admin. Otherwise, he'd know that there's nothing he can do to prevent them from changing the IP in Windows and causing problems unless he implemented a much more complicated IP/port binding.

Also, he couldn't get a DHCP server working even from several tutorials? Uh oh...

Years ago, I found Dual Server (on Windows) was one of the easier DHCP servers to configure and use. I see they also have Linux support.

Thanks for your reply, Yes I am not a super technical guy. Anyway, I have set up a DHCP server, and it's working fine now.

Can you please give me any idea how we can prevent my clients to change their IPs manually? I mean if they try to do anything it won't work, Can we install RouterOS into proxmox and then use that OS to setup all the things? If someone changes their IP we can track the MAC ID.

Thanks for your time <3

• @treesmokah said:

Can we do it using RouterOS? Because I am familiar with it.

• @samratfkt said:

@treesmokah said:

Can we do it using RouterOS? Because I am familiar with it.

If you can virtualize it, sure.

• @samratfkt said:

@TimboJones said:

Thanks for your reply, Yes I am not a super technical guy. Anyway, I have set up a DHCP server, and it's working fine now.

Can you please give me any idea how we can prevent my clients to change their IPs manually? I mean if they try to do anything it won't work, Can we install RouterOS into proxmox and then use that OS to setup all the things? If someone changes their IP we can track the MAC ID.

Thanks for your time <3

It would be done in a quality managed switch, but perhaps there is this feature in a router OS.

Example
    https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiswitch/7.2.3/administration-guide/626298/ip-mac-binding

• With all due respect, please hire someone with technical skills if you're selling these to live clients. It will be very frustrating for you and your clients if you're trying to fix something for them but don't know how to do it. This will cause Confusion And Delay.

Thanked by 1sliix