Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new ARM instances from Hetzner are pretty awesome!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The new ARM instances from Hetzner are pretty awesome!

I just finished migrating my stuff to a new Kubernetes cluster using just ARM instances this time. I love them! They score lower than the equivalent AMD ones in GB but I can't see any practical difference with my apps and they are so cheap!

Who else is using them?

Comments

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member

@vitobotta said:
    they are so cheap!

How so? Price is the same as x86 instance.
    Which one are you using?

• ShamliShamli Member

@WhizzWr said:

@vitobotta said:
    they are so cheap!

Which one are you using?

https://hetzner.com/cloud

• dosaidosai Member

Are arm cores dedicated?

• Indeed, they are very comparable with x86 CPUs (AMD). I have done some benchmarks some time ago.

https://kangserver.id/benchmark-comparison-hetzners-cax31-vs-cpx31-arm-vs-x86/

Thanked by 1loay
  • anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited May 2023

@WhizzWr said:

@vitobotta said:
    they are so cheap!

Which one are you using?

They have 2x more RAM and disk space for the same price as well as 2x more cores (except for the lowest plan) so technically they’re 2 times cheaper.

• @dosai said:
    Are arm cores dedicated?

Shared. https://www.hetzner.com/cloud

• What I don’t understand is that how can you give 2x more RAM and disk space for the same price as their x86 counterparts.

Does anyone know what might be the reason for this? I don’t see how can Hetzner benefit from
    giving more RAM and disk just because their CPUs are ARM.

Why would they wanna shill ARM like that?

• @anbelevebel said:
    What I don’t understand is that how can you give 2x more RAM and disk space for the same price as their x86 counterparts.

Does anyone know what might be the reason for this? I don’t see how can Hetzner benefit from

DDR4 pricing, at least consumer line, has gone down in recent times and perhaps they were able to get higher capacity or more sticks for a similar price when they built their x86 nodes.

• I wonder also how they can do that cheap pricing. Can the CPUs be so much cheaper that they can offer more ram etc?

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
  • ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

Power consumption of ARM CPUs is much much lower compared to x86.

• I used on ARM vm as database caching server because of more ram. Quite stable pass few weeks. Can be use as production if passing 3 months test.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • varwwwvarwww Member

I am using them as well. I noticed some few things

• You can't rescale (switch) from arm to x86_64 (Intel/Amd/DedicatedCpu) instances.
    • Many iso images are not available(reinstall) for arm compared to x86_64. Might affect others, does not affect me since I use Debian everywhere.
  • PagePage Member

Really great, you can use it 100% for a long time.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member

@anbelevebel said:

@WhizzWr said:

@vitobotta said:
    they are so cheap!

Which one are you using?

They have 2x more RAM and disk space for the same price as well as 2x more cores (except for the lowest plan) so technically they’re 2 times cheaper.

Ah ok. My low-end ass didnt bother to scroll down. Eyes on the cheapest plan only.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@anbelevebel said:
    What I don’t understand is that how can you give 2x more RAM and disk space for the same price as their x86 counterparts.

They have a partnership with Ampere: https://www.hetzner.com/presse-berichte/2022/0/167137

Also keep in mind that power is very expensive, and these ARM CPU's are extremely efficient, so they can most likely pass those cost savings to you. I wouldn't be surprised if Hetzner also had extreme discounts with Ampere because of their partnership.

• ralfralf Member

@anbelevebel said:
    I don’t see how can Hetzner benefit from giving more RAM and disk just because their CPUs are ARM.

We don't know how many slots these motherboards have and what size modules they can take, but it's probably reasonable to assume they'd have at least 8 slots and the largest one Hetzner sells has 80 cores and 256 GB RAM, which would make 32GB per slot.

At that price, ram is less than $2 per GB, so they'd recoup the build cost very quickly.

Power savings, as others have said. Apart from the up-front cost which might be slightly higher, the long term running costs will be substantially lower than an x86 chip. If they can sweeten the deal by doubling the RAM for basically no difference in overall costs, it's a no-brainer for both them because it makes it much more appealing to customers.

It's also interesting to consider that 80 cores / 256GB RAM means about 3GB per physical core. As they're selling 2 cores per 4GB RAM, that means they're only overselling by 50%. Although if I were to guess, I'd imagine they can get more than 256GB into these machines.

• @Shazan said:
    Power consumption of ARM CPUs is much much lower compared to x86.

I would say this is the crucial part considering the EU electricity bill...

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • ARM is great for lowend because most of us don't write applications that need or use the specific hardware acceleration x86 server CPUs provide.

also many shared hosts don't enable access to those anyways. if needs arise, i am happy to get those for my use cases.

• The only downside so far is that for some open source apps I am self hosting I had to build ARM Docker images myself because the official ones are not available for ARM.

Have you encountered any problem with ARM instances for which there wasn't a workaround?

• As I noticed, you can't have an mail server on ARM processors? I am I wrong?

• ralfralf Member

@COLBYLICIOUS said:
    As I noticed, you can't have an mail server on ARM processors? I am I wrong?

exim4 should be available on all architectures in debian.