Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenPanel - Anyone knows about it? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenPanel - Anyone knows about it?

2»

Comments

• try Froxlor, it's lightweight, easy, supports Debian and as webserver you can use Nginx, Lighthttpd or Apache

• Panels i so far deem valid for personal usage:
    ISPConfig, VestaCP.

But come on, there must be a panel thats even more simple and more aiming for personal usage instead of hosting purposes?

Share your knowledge.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Mark_R said:
    Panels i so far deem valid for personal usage:
    ISPConfig, VestaCP.

But come on, there must be a panel thats even more simple and more aiming for personal usage instead of hosting purposes?

Share your knowledge.

Sounds like you're describing Ajenti. Very simplistic and for personal use. Maybe too simple though.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @jarland said:
    Sounds like you're describing Ajenti. Very simplistic and for personal use. Maybe too simple though.

That looks really good.
    I will format my server and see if its the final panel i go with

Thank you.

• The Cloud VPS guys do support/work on a number of open source products. They have a caching solution which they contribute to and of course open panel. Sadly open panel has felt unloved for a while now and even on the cloudVPS platform the open panel installation templates are half broken.

In terms of control panel Vesta looks very good and has active development. Most of the time control panels are more complex than setting things up from the command line.

• Mark_R said: why would someone create something awesome and not charge a fee for it?

Wow. I think you need to read up a bit on the open source concept ;)

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2013

@sleddog said:
    Wow. I think you need to read up a bit on the open source concept ;)

I know what open-source stands for

personally i just dont get why people would put their hard work out for free, if you create something good then this will consume your time, selling your hard and time-invested work would be a good compensation

by charging money you can improve your creation even more or start something bigger.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited December 2013

@Mark_R said:
    know what open-source stands for

personally i just dont get why people would put their hard work out for free, if you create something good then this will consume your time, selling your hard and time-invested work would be a good compensation

by charging money you can improve your creation even more or start something bigger.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux's source code is open source...and the source code is available for free (which is why CentOS and Oracle Linux are 100% binary compatible with RHEL)

"Open source" does not mean "free of charge", and even if the software is distributed for free the developer can still make a nice living by charging for support, addons, etc (Red Hat's $1.1 billion in annual revenues prove this)

Thanked by 2Infinity Mark_R

@Mark_R said:

By offering it for free you can potentially use it to back another money making project/service, meanwhile potentially gaining the minds of developers everywhere at no additional cost. Take a look at OpenVZ for example. Some pretty decent contributions and testing come from the open source side while they make a killing on Virtuozzo.

Don't underestimate the profitability of free.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Mark_R said: I know what open-source stands for

@DomainBob and @jarland have provided answers.

I can expand on their answers for $25. I'll PM you my PayPal address.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @sleddog said:
    I can expand on their answers for $25. I'll PM you my PayPal address.

That won't be necessary.

• @Mark_R said: I'm open for more alternatives now.

Virtualmin/Webmin combo.

• @aglodek said:
    Virtualmin/Webmin combo.

isn't virtualmin a paid version?
    can you run both at once?

• Mark_R said: isn't virtualmin a paid version? can you run both at once?

Virtualmin is free and yes, you can run both Webmin and Virtualmin at once.

• Although Webmin is a great panel you will still need to install most things via the command line initially.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited December 2013

@Mark_R said: isn't virtualmin a paid version? can you run both at once?

Virtualmin is free. It runs on top of Webmin. Here is Martin's quick tutorial to how to install (and use to manage Postfix/Dovecot on top of everything else):

http://lowendbox.com/blog/your-own-mail-server-with-virtualmin/

Also this:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/17915/basic-virtualmin-installation-and-configuration-guide-20-images

I have been running this setup (with a few refinements) on some 10 boxes for close to 4 months now and have never looked back. Installation is a snap including everything you are likely to need in a server. I have found it much easier and quicker to clean up after (i.e. disable or uninstall what is not needed on each box), rather than install and configure stuff one by one manually. After you logon, use the Virtualmin and Webmin logos in upper left hand corner of the screen to switch between them.

I mentioned refinements:

(a) above is NOT a hardened setup! For that, suggest you take a look at these:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/18133/virtualmin-security-guide-part-one-22-images

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/18136/virtualmin-security-guide-part-two-7-images

(b) you will also need to set up SPF and DKIM if you want to run your own mailserver. Martin's tutorial above doesn't cover that.

EDIT: one other great thing about Virtualmin/Webmin CP: it doesn't take over the box like other CP's do, Kloxo for one. I'm running Aegir CP together with V/W on one box without any problems :)

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Virtovo said: Although Webmin is a great panel you will still need to install most things via the command line initially.

Virtualmin installs Webmin and everything else you are likely to need on your box :)

• I still have to give Ajenti a test run
    it seems user friendly'r compared to virtualmin/webmin
    after that i'll check those links you provided @aglodek
    and thanks for mentioning the SPF stuff, thats something i would totally forget about.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited December 2013

@Mark_R: Never heard of Ajenti or OpenPanel. Like you, and I suppose everybody else, too, I'm concerned about both stability and security, backdoors and stuff. Hence good, OLD Virtualmin/Webmin for me. This said, it's not as user friendly as some other CP's because of all the features built in. User friendly or high end - take your pick. Can't have both.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2013

@mcmyhost said:
    Virtualmin, VestaCP, Webmin, ISP-Config, Ajenti Panel, EHCP, zPanel, etc...

Ajenti Panel is not a hosting panel, it's a Server Control Panel.

Ajenti Panel is user friendly it will you give some of the missing tools of hosting panels like VestaCP.

it has plugins that allow you to Monitor and Control the following:

`

Apache
    APC UPS
    BIND9
    DHCPD
    File manager
    Filesystems (fstab)
    Firewall (iptables)
    HDD temperature
    Hosts (/etc/hosts)
    IPMI
    LM-sensors
    Logs
    LSI MegaRAID status
    Memcached usage
    Munin graphs
    MySQL
    Nameservers (/etc/resolv.conf)
    Netatalk AFPD
    Network
    NFS
    NGINX
    Notepad
    NSD
    OpenVPN
    Packages
    Power management
    PostgreSQL
    RAID status (md)
    Samba (+CTDB)
    Scripts
    Services
    SMART disk status
    Squid 3
    Supervisord
    Task manager
    Task scheduler
    Terminal
    Users

`

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • it has plugins that allow you to Monitor and Control the following:

...so does the command line :P

• @DomainBop said:
    ...so does the command line :P

I'm lazy, thats my reason for installing a panel in the first place
    i dont really feel like using ssh to get everything done.

edited December 2013

@Mark_R said:
    i dont really feel like using ssh to get everything done.

I've started doing something to aid me in my laziness while still using the terminal. Create a simple bash script for complex commands that I run often, throw it in /usr/bin.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2013

i have found the right panel for me

you can even control the server terminal using Ajenti

• lukesUbuntulukesUbuntu Member
    edited December 2013

nice

• Webmin/Kolox combo.