Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cheap storage for storing surveillance footage (around 10TB)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cheap storage for storing surveillance footage (around 10TB)

So i have a question.

I have to store a bunch of surveillance videos, maybe totalling around 10TB.

I checked one, say backblaze b2 which has $5/TB/month which is $600/year. I can basically buy a 8TB HDD for less cost and use that or even keep buying 1 every 2 years and alternating between those for 2-3 times and introducing new drives during this period occasionally and still save money.

What are your ideas.

Comments

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello , if you like a VPS it s possible give you

10 TB HDD
    2 Dedicated CPU
    2 GB ram
    1 GBps port speed
    10 TB BW/month
    Romania Location

For 25 euros/month

Regards

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

AWS Glacier?

Thanked by 1greentea
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited April 2023

The only offers I’ve found to be competitive with local storage are hosthatch on black friday and 1fichier. Servarica I’ve also seen mentioned but not a customer myself. Also you might be able to join an account sharing group for Dropbox advanced, but this is getting into dodgier territory

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • Currently you can use iDrive e2 : 1 year @ 40$ for 10tb Link : https://urlsh.us/idrive (aff)

• edited April 2023

I am assuming you are looking for cloud storage because you don't want to to worry or deal with the hassle of local storage. Scaleway Glacier is $2/TB/mo and you get 75GB of free egress per month. The benefit of storage like this is that you won't have to worry about scaling up the underlying hardware yourself as your storage needs grow.

If you have a lot of storage, you can get dedicated servers from Hetzner for about 1 EUR/TB/mo with 1-2 disks of redundancy, but this will be at the 100TB+ storage level.

But definitely if you have some safe place to store a hard drive, external hard drives regularly go on sale for about $15/TB.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Depends on how often you want to retrieve your data. If you will do that like once a year, you will be fine with the archive storage by AWS or Azure (0.99$/TB/mo)
    If more frequently, it's suggested to buy a lot of hard drives.

If you don't like cloud services, considering a LTO drive (extremely expensive, but it's the best choice in the long run)

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

Check our plans:
    https://netdynamics24.com/backup-services.php
    We can do 30% lifetime recurring discount using this coupon code:
    LET30%
    Also, you get two months free on annual orders.
    The 10 TB would cost you $210/year.