Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

HDD not spinning up, any troubleshooting steps or is it toast? Also any lifetime storage services?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HDD not spinning up, any troubleshooting steps or is it toast? Also any lifetime storage services?

Hello everyone,

I have a Seagate Barracuda from 2019, very sparingly used which I was using in a home NAS server. This drive was acting as a backup for the main drive, every night at 3AM the system with save a snapshot of the main drive to this drive. Recently (~3-4months ago) I noticed that this drive showed a caution in the dashboard, apparently SMART had reported that it had ~40 bad sectors. I knew is was a prefail sign but didn't think much of it. Even in the system the drive was mostly turned off, after only 3 mins of inactivity using hd-idle.

Now I went out of town last at the start of March and hadn't turned on the server since. Today I turned it on to backup some data and noticed that the drive wasn't showing up. This had happened exactly once before but was resolved by swapping around cables, however today after much troubleshooting I noticed that the drive wasn't spinning up at all, and ofc BIOS wasn't recognizing it either. One interesting thing to note was that Debian was still waiting for the drive to respond and would fail after a time out, is this because a drive was once connected to it or because the controller on the drive works and but the platters themselves don't?

Anyways, what should be my steps ahead? Are there any troubleshooting steps I could try? I've tried changing SATA cables, port, and even the SATA power cable, nothing helped.

Also are HDD really this unreliable? I've had almost all my HDD that I bought within the last 5-6 years fail on me within 2-3 years of use.

On a side note, are there any cloud storage services which offer a lifetime plan? So far I know Icedrive, pCloud and Degoo, Is there any service anyone is using here and would like to recommend?

Comments

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

All hardware fails, it's not about if, but when.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2023

@DentFuse said: On a side note, are there any cloud storage services which offer a lifetime plan? So far I know Icedrive, pCloud and Degoo, Is there any service anyone is using here and would like to recommend?

With those you run the risk of cloud service "not spinning up" one day either, a much higher one than with a monthly or yearly ongoing paid service.

Thanked by 1DentFuse