Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Database as a service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Database as a service

Hi

I'm looking to host a dotnet core API which relies upon a relational database (MS SQL, MySql and Postgres would be fine).

Can anyone recommend a inexpensive database server with backups. I was thinking about putting on a VM, but a managed server would be ideal

The size would be low (maybe 10Meg per month of data being added), the queries would be a little complex joins aggregations etc) but low in volume

Comments

• Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited April 2023

It's an addon for an (inexpensive) VPS, but BuyVM has an offloaded SQL option for $1/mo - https://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/sharedsql

For your use case, you'd be within the ToS if you were wanting to use the database outside of BuyVM.

So $3.50/mo for the 1gig KVM Slice in Las Vegas or New York + $1.00 for the offloaded SQL server = $4.50/mo.

"We keep a rotating 7 day, full backup, snapshot of our SQL servers. Backups are taken at 4:00 AM"

That should cover all of your bases. I can't speak on using the offloaded SQL (I haven't used it), but his other products are top notch and I'm sure that wouldn't be an exception.

• planetscale

Thanked by 2emgh nick_
  • emghemgh Member

@nnpk520 said:
    planetscale

this is the way

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited April 2023

don't, absolutely ASS service and insane pricing compared to offered product. selffhosted db's on small vps perform way way better than $100+ package there. you can selfhost ur own db with replication across a few vps from ex. buyvm with anycast ip. frequent snapshots and offsite backups, for redundancy and shiet. even with every cost of "selfhosted" but good sql db, it will be still less than most "managed" solutions from corpos.

Thanked by 2Erisa nick_
  • emghemgh Member

@treesmokah said:

don't, absolutely ASS service and insane pricing compared to offered product. selffhosted db's on small vps perform way way better than $100+ package there. you can selfhost ur own db with replication across a few vps from ex. buyvm with anycast ip. frequent snapshots and offsite backups, for redundancy and shiet. even with every cost of "selfhosted" but good sql db, it will be still less than most "managed" solutions from corpos.

Every cost - time

• @emgh said:

@treesmokah said:

Every cost - time

in my case, anything - even the most expensive plan you can "buy", it was not able to suit my performance requirements. i do not know if it says much, but assuming cheap vps solved it for me, it may be easier for you to imagine how shit their service is. even expensive plans have a limit of ~500 requests per second which for most advanced applications, is not enough.

• fkjfkj Member

If the volume is this low, why not just embed a sqlite on the host.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • mistermmisterm Member

Thank planetscale and buyvm look like decent options, as does SQLite

My only slight concern re planetscale would be the $30 a month jump from free to first paid tier (but I guess at the usage that takes you there, your not running it on a super cheap VPS)

• Microsoft Azure offers 12 months for free which you can give it a try I guess?
    However it violates the forum rules when you are paying for it, so... Feel free to delete my comment

• ralfralf Member

@misterm said:
    as does SQLite

SQLite is pretty much the complete opposite of database as a service!

• Speaking of DBaaS, have you seen the ridiculous pricing of Vercel's new Postgres offering? It's unbelievable

• mistermmisterm Member

@ralf said:

@misterm said:
    as does SQLite

Your right, but at least it should be workable in a low-end VM, and all I need to do backup wise is copy 1 file (I think). Not ideal though

• ralfralf Member

@misterm said:

@ralf said:

@misterm said:
    as does SQLite

Your right, but at least it should be workable in a low-end VM, and all I need to do backup wise is copy 1 file (I think). Not ideal though

Don't copy the file directly.
    Firstly, make sure you're using WAL mode pragma journal_mode = wal; so that readers and writers don't block each other.
    Then you can create a copy using vacuum into "copy.db"; which means that the local copy is only written to by one process and it will be in a consistent state once the vacuum is complete.

Here's one of my scripts to do a backup:

#!/bin/sh
    DATE=`date +%F-%H%M`
    DEST="/home/ralf/backup/spool-$DATE.db"
    LAST=`ls -tr /home/ralf/backup/spool* |tail -1`
    sqlite3 /home/ralf/spool.db "vacuum into '$DEST'"
    diff $DEST $LAST >/dev/null && rm $DEST

I then back these copies up with borg just as I would any other file.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • nnpk520nnpk520 Member

I find other serverless postgres
    https://bit.io/
    https://neon.tech/

Thanked by 2Sauron nick_
  • i used buyvm offload mysql, they have great performance

• mistermmisterm Member

Bit.io look good too(not a sharp rise when out if fre tier), a shame most if good options are US hosted (I'm in UK) but I think that should still work

• SauronSauron Member

@ralf said:

@misterm said:
    as does SQLite

By the way, there are some client-server databases that use SQLite as a database engine. For example, SQLiteDBMS or SQLiteServer.

However, if your site engine does not use multiple processes (like php), you can use plain SQLite without loss in performance.

• therawtheraw Member

@nnpk520 said:
    planetscale

where is my database hosted if they offer "Serverless databases" and why do i need to pay if i'm not using their servers?!

• nnpk520nnpk520 Member

@theraw said:

@nnpk520 said:
    planetscale

where is my database hosted if they offer "Serverless databases" and why do i need to pay if i'm not using their servers?!

AWS regions
    AWS us-east-1 (Northern Virginia) — us-east
    AWS us-west-2 (Oregon) — us-west
    AWS ap-northeast-1 (Tokyo) — ap-northeast
    AWS ap-south-1 (Mumbai) — ap-south
    AWS ap-southeast-1 (Singapore) — ap-southeast
    AWS ap-southeast-2 (Sydney) — aws-ap-southeast-2
    AWS eu-central-1 (Frankfurt) — eu-central
    AWS eu-west-1 (Dublin) — eu-west
    AWS eu-west-2 (London) — aws-eu-west-2
    AWS sa-east-1 (Sao Paulo) — aws-sa-east-1

GCP regions
    GCP regions are in beta and currently have some limitations, which you can read about in our GCP documentation.

(Beta) GCP us-central1 (Council Bluffs, Iowa) — gcp-us-central1
    (Beta) GCP us-east4 (Ashburn, Virginia) — gcp-us-east4
    (Beta) GCP northamerica-northeast1 (Montréal, Québec, Canada) — gcp-northamerica-northeast1

They have Free Tier, not need to pay within limit , if is not your answer maybe use https://neon.tech only pay when using Compute time, they also have Free Tier

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2023

@treesmokah said:

@emgh said:

@treesmokah said:

Every cost - time

in my case, anything - even the most expensive plan you can "buy", it was not able to suit my performance requirements. i do not know if it says much, but assuming cheap vps solved it for me, it may be easier for you to imagine how shit their service is. even expensive plans have a limit of ~500 requests per second which for most advanced applications, is not enough.

500 requests per second? what?
    A single sqlite database can handle more.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • https://www.arubacloud.com/database-as-a-service.aspx

I think they are the cheapest for your needs

• angeliusangelius Member
    edited May 2023

17 types of managed db available here (including sql server), starting at $10/month with monitoring, backups, auto updates and more:
    https://elest.io/fully-managed-services

• @theraw said:

@nnpk520 said:
    planetscale

serverless means, you don't have to manage the server. They do it for you. You don't have access to server, and you don't have a server. Hence serverless.

When you create database, you can choose at which location your database is hosted. E.G. Singapore.

In term of price and what you got, nothing comes close to planetscale as of right now.

Thanked by 1theraw
  • @Don_Keedic said:
    It's an addon for an (inexpensive) VPS, but BuyVM has an offloaded SQL option for $1/mo - https://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/sharedsql

For your use case, you'd be within the ToS if you were wanting to use the database outside of BuyVM.

So $3.50/mo for the 1gig KVM Slice in Las Vegas or New York + $1.00 for the offloaded SQL server = $4.50/mo.

"We keep a rotating 7 day, full backup, snapshot of our SQL servers. Backups are taken at 4:00 AM"

That should cover all of your bases. I can't speak on using the offloaded SQL (I haven't used it), but his other products are top notch and I'm sure that wouldn't be an exception.

Don't. General rule of thumb is, if you can't put your database on shared hosting, don't put it on sharedsql. I mean it's $1 a month. it's basically shared hosting.

• @msallak1 said:
    https://www.arubacloud.com/database-as-a-service.aspx

I think they are the cheapest for your needs

not even close, you have to manage how much space you need, how much cpu and ram you want to use. The point of going serverless is you don't have to do that, and you actually pay for what you use. No more idling resources.

Thanked by 1msallak1
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@ralf said:

@misterm said:
    as does SQLite

Indeed, but it appears to be all the OP needs.

SQLite can scale amazingly unless you have multiple writers fighting over rows.

@yokowasis said: Don't. General rule of thumb is, if you can't put your database on shared hosting, don't put it on sharedsql. I mean it's $1 a month. it's basically shared hosting.

OP says "The size would be low (maybe 10Meg per month of data being added), the queries would be a little complex joins aggregations etc) but low in volume". BuyVM's hosted MySQL would likely be fine for him.