Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I get some suggestions for backup (server + desktops)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I get some suggestions for backup (server + desktops)?

I've decided I should start backing some stuff up. Mostly things like SSH Keys, backup 2FA codes, etc. from my desktops and other important files. Maybe even songs and videos and stuff if the storage is cheap enough (I have good upload speed)

Then on my VPSes (all Linux) I'd like to backup certain folders with code in and DBs (I guess I can have an hourly script to dump to a .sql file with mysqldump)

I don't really want something self hosted since I don't trust myself enough to keep my VPSes secure (I still do the basics like key based auth, fail2ban, unattended-upgrades, closing off ports, etc. but if someone were to get access to SolusVM or something they would have access
anyway I guess)

Also would be nice to keep a history of files, so if I fuck something up I can get a copy from like 10 edits ago.

So the better option seems to be a third party company, but who? Would like some syncing software that isn't too intrusive or resource intensive. Do I just go with Google Drive or something like that, or is there a better option?

What do you guys do?

Comments

• symbxsymbx Member

I use storj.io.
    Cron, which runs a script that creates a database dump with some additional data into an archive (with a date in the name) and uploads it with an expiration date in a month. As a result, I have 4 versions of the backup (because it runs weekly).
    (for me enough free plan, but for normal project it may be pricey)

• There are tons of solutions for what you describe you want to do. HOWEVER, I'd first start by organizing/grouping your backup needs into different "silos" of information and/or platforms, since different tools and services may be more appropriate for one silo vs another silo... and you're describing content that could be backed up different ways with different levels of importance to you. Then you can tackle each silo differently if needed, and use the best tools for the appropriate jobs.

In my case, I separate critical backups (keys/codes/important stuff) from general business backups from casual backups. I also have Windows, Macs, Linux desktops, and Linux servers. It would be silly of me to apply the exact same backup strategies to ALL that data, and there is NO single tool that covers all those platforms equally well.

So there are different tools and strategies for different silos of information and platforms.

You might want to break things into different groups than I do of course. That's just an example. So I suggest you think it through and figure out how you want to organize your backups logically over the long haul.

Next, take a good look at the basic 3-2-1 backup principle/rule. Google "3-2-1 backup rule" and think about how you want to implement those ideas for your needs. If you are serious about backing up, you'll want to consistently apply something like the 3-2-1 rule to your most critical data... FOR SURE. But you may feel you can be a little more relaxed about your other data.

Once you figure out your "silos" and how you want to apply concepts like the 3-2-1 approach, then it will become much more clear what tools and services you need to accomplish all that.

Good luck!

• I would suggest Veeam and using their guide/scripts (veeamhub repo) to deploy a Veeam Hardened Backup Repository on Ubuntu 20.04. It is protection against ransomware attacks by making backups immutable for some days. It would be self-hosted, but you harden it at the start and then can feel safe ignoring until the hardware fails.

• wii747wii747 Member
    edited April 2023

If you use proxmox pve then use proxmox backup I highly recommend it