Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally a good news.. [Debian] - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Finally a good news.. [Debian]

13»

Comments

• CalypsoCalypso Member

@ralf said:
    In all seriousness, I don't actually understand why anybody would choose Ubuntu over Debian for a production machine.

I've been a longtime Debian fan and a few years ago I moved several of my production machines to Ubuntu. Main reason: more and for others recent packages for the purpose those machines were used for.

I liked it and gradually was moving other machines also to Ubuntu, but a few months ago I decided to move back again. Although Ubuntu didn't disappoint me, I got the feeling that I didn't need to be on top of new versions, required packages for the purpose of those machines have changed (and met with Debian), and I had occasional strange hangups on a few machines with Ubuntu that I never experienced with Debian.

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited May 2023

As I was hoping, it's confirmed that LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) 6 will be released this summer, built on Debian 12 - https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4513 - estimate June release date after Linux Mint 21.2 comes out. Definitely looking forward to LMDE 6.

CORRECTION: whoops: I missed "No ETAs have been decided yet." -- So "June" is incorrect! Sorry!

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • JarryJarry Member

Sorry to revive this old thread, but good news turned out to be not_so_good: Debian12 will be released on 2023-06-10, but with "about 100 known release-critical bugs"...
    https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2023/06/msg00000.html

I remember Debian used to be released "when it was ready". But it seems those times are definitely gone...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Jarry said: But it seems those times are definitely gone...

As software complexity grows, so the number of bugs and errors. Launching when all known bugs have been ironed out might mean being already obsolete.
    I don't like it either, in fact I strongly disagree with this policy, if I need the bleeding edge I get sid or some other distro, I go to debian for stability and reliability, but I guess some compromise might need to be made.

• jlet88jlet88 Member

@Jarry said:
    I remember Debian used to be released "when it was ready". But it seems those times are definitely gone...

If this becomes their "new normal' then they just open themselves up to a new competitor to fill that spot in the market. Granted, that would take years and years, but if they become consistently sloppy and their reputation for stability is tarnished, then some other distro will step up over time.

Anyway, thank you for the news, I'll delay a bit before I jump on Debian 12, and I'll be keeping an eye on LMDE 6, which will be based on Debian 12 of course. I'm still enthusiastic though!

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Jarry said:
    Sorry to revive this old thread, but good news turned out to be not_so_good: Debian12 will be released on 2023-06-10, but with "about 100 known release-critical bugs"...
    https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2023/06/msg00000.html

Aren't you misquoting what they say?

You're creatively reading "RC" as "release-critical", but this isn't correct

"RC" means 'release candidate"

An RC bug may or may not be critical

There's never ever been a Debian release without RC bugs

The quantity of RC bugs may be larger now, but this is also hard to avoid, given the increased and growing complexity of the distribution

Thanked by 2jlet88 Maounique
  • emgemg Veteran

I have been using Debian for servers for a while. I have been recently testing out desktops, including Debian. I tried LMDE, too.

I just did a web search for more info about Debian 12. This article was published only a few hours ago, and I think it is worth your time to read. The third paragraph from the bottom ("Now, with the inclusion of non-free firmware...") had some interesting ideas that had not occurred to me. See:

https://www.theregister.com/2023/06/05/debian_12/

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

@emg said:
    The third paragraph from the bottom ("Now, with the inclusion of non-free firmware...") had some interesting ideas that had not occurred to me. See:

https://www.theregister.com/2023/06/05/debian_12/

Good find. Yeah, I think the article is right about how Debian 12 may impact some other distros.

And actually, it makes even more excited about LMDE 6 because Debian 12's inclusion of those drivers, for example, will make it that much easier for the LM team to focus on what they do best.

I continue to be optimistic!