Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any alternatives to Proxmox, VMmanager, SolusVM etc for LXD or OpenVZ that is production-ready?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any alternatives to Proxmox, VMmanager, SolusVM etc for LXD or OpenVZ that is production-ready?

anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
edited April 2023 in General

Hi,

I'm looking for a service such as SolusVM, VMmanager, Proxmox etc but that is actually production ready. I've tried everything so far and they're all missing something one way or the other.

SolusVM 2 doesn't support IPv6 only VMs on OpenVZ and has tons of other bugs.
VMmanager dropped support for LXD.
Proxmox seems to be too much manual labor. Doesn't even assign static IPs automatically.
Virtualizor is ancient.

VirtFusion seems to be the most promising one but is quite new and doesn't have OpenVZ support. If it had VZ support, I wouldn't be looking for something else honestly.

Since we need a solution ASAP, what are your suggestions that has the following features available right now either for OpenVZ 7/9 or LXD;

• It has to support IPv6 only containers and IPv4 & IPv6 containers in the same node
  • It has to have API to deploy containers remotely
  • It has to have image support where we can create an image from one of the containers and deploy new containers with it
  • Optional but migrating of containers between host servers when necessary

Comments

• @anbelevebel said: Proxmox seems to be too much manual labor. Doesn't even assign static IPs automatically.

I can recommend deploying some kind of a router system(like opnsense/pfsense) and assigning IP's with it.

Thanked by 1Talistech
  • anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited April 2023

@treesmokah said:

@anbelevebel said: Proxmox seems to be too much manual labor. Doesn't even assign static IPs automatically.

I can recommend deploying some kind of a router system(like opnsense/pfsense) and assigning IP's with it.

I can do that but I prefer not to. I'd prefer an all-in-one solution such as Solus, VMmanager, Virtualizor etc but without their downsides/missing features.

My understanding is that either this market is lacking a proper software that is actually production ready or I can't find it, unless you go with KVM.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2023

It seems paying a dev team to build the panel of your dreams is the way to go then. You'll very likely not find a vps panel that fits the bill in all regards. Most products are lacking in one way or another. I'd suggest pick a panel from the OP, where you have to compromise the least (probably Proxmox and just put in some manual work) and fly with that. Building an own panel and paying devs to not only build, but also maintain it, is another story. I realize this wasn't your plan anyway, I'm just saying that if you're not going to build your own, it'll be hard to find one that does it all perfectly (without hiring devs/DYO customisations).

@treesmokah suggested a possible fix to your problem with Proxmox. Maybe try that?

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Proxmox + a dev team that will make a plugin for WHMCS/whatever that will fit your needs

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Unfortunately, with the direction of the industry, I don't see you finding what you want any time soon.

Putting some effort in to make proxmox work for you would be what I would reccomend.

Thanked by 1Talistech
  • I've been working with openstack recently. Deploying with Juju is pretty simple too. I think it might do what you need, worth a look...

• @anbelevebel said: VMmanager dropped support for LXD.

When? 👀

• @DigitalFyre said:

@anbelevebel said: VMmanager dropped support for LXD.

When? 👀

2 days ago when I tried to install VMmanager on a Ubuntu server for LXD and their installer failed and I contacted their support only to find out they no longer support LXD. Only KVM now.

They should’ve removed stuff about LXD from their docs tbh. I spent a good few hours trying to set it up to test. Very bad business.

Thanked by 1DigitalFyre
  • @anbelevebel said: 2 days ago when I tried to install VMmanager on a Ubuntu server for LXD and their installer failed and I contacted their support only to find out they no longer support LXD. Only KVM now.

They should’ve removed stuff about LXD from their docs tbh. I spent a good few hours trying to set it up to test. Very bad business.

Oh wow.. I didn't know that. Our VMmanager still has the ability to provision LXD and LXD templates are available, though we never tried deploying them as all our clients use KVM. But yeah... Definitely weird since they did not announce it.

• anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited April 2023

@DigitalFyre said:

@anbelevebel said: 2 days ago when I tried to install VMmanager on a Ubuntu server for LXD and their installer failed and I contacted their support only to find out they no longer support LXD. Only KVM now.

Oh wow.. I didn't know that. Our VMmanager still has the ability to provision LXD and LXD templates are available, though we never tried deploying them as all our clients use KVM. But yeah... Definitely weird since they did not announce it.

How can you deploy LXD VMs if you don’t specifically registered your hypervisor for LXD? They have the option to choose between KVM and LXD when creating the hypervisor and their installer doesn’t work if you choose LXD.

Are you able to deploy LXD VMs on a KVM hypervisor in your VMmanager panel? I know the LXD templates are still available but they won’t work if your hypervisor is KVM, I guess.

• @anbelevebel said: How can you deploy LXD VMs if you don’t specifically registered your hypervisor for LXD? They have the option to choose between KVM and LXD when creating the hypervisor and their installer doesn’t work if you choose LXD.

You're right, I mistakenly thought you can deploy LXD containers on a KVM HV for a second. I apologize for the brainfart... Been a long week.

Bottom line is, it sucks that VMm is dropping LXD. Looks like the options are getting more limited every day.. 😫

• xlmnxpxlmnxp Member

there new project from Canonical ( the company behind Ubuntu and LXD )
    Web Dashboard to manage LXD
    https://github.com/canonical/lxd-ui

• @xlmnxp said:

It seems like just a GUI and even that not ready for production.

I was looking something more like SolusVM, Virtualizor etc with built-in cluster management as well as network management such as automated public static IP assignment from IP pool etc.

• xlmnxpxlmnxp Member

@anbelevebel said:

@xlmnxp said:

It seems like just a GUI and even that not ready for production.

I was looking something more like SolusVM, Virtualizor etc with built-in cluster management as well as network management such as automated public static IP assignment from IP pool etc.

yes, it GUI for LXD which support containers, virtual machine, storage, projects , profiles, clusters, advance network management and many more

yes, it not for production yet but it use LXD Restful APIs which is production ready

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Proxmox? Yes, it has been pretty stable, no big fuckups so far.
    However, if you make suggestions regarding stupid things, they reject it.

Such as, a user can't change the boot order, because he doesn't have access to the disk settings, which does include modify limits etc... however access to the network card is never needed.
    Basically the answer is this "why the fuck would a user need to change the fucking bloody boot order?" Reminds me of HBO Chernobyl.

LXD? No, a bunch of fuckups.
    They pushed breaking changes to the LTS stable branches, which made machines unable to boot out of the sudden.
    They deny updates first hand if something really big breaks, such as VM's won't boot anymore, because LXD 4.0 is outdated and you should upgrade to LXD 5.0.

DESPITE THE FUCKING WIKI SAYS YES WE STILL FIX NON SECURITY THINGS, cunts.

After roughly 1 week, they agree and still fix it, however your VM's if you don't want them down for a fucking bloody week, you need to upgrade.

Which leads to more issues, even if the dev says "upgrade should work flawlessly", hint, I did not.
    I love these people.

Thanked by 1anbelevebel
  • You can do "automation" on proxmox.