Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted Hetzner Based Mac Mini For Transfer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wanted Hetzner Based Mac Mini For Transfer

anxanx Member
edited April 2023 in Requests

Hello,

I'm currently working on a project that builds Android and IOS based applications online.

Since few months, i've been using Hetzner based cloud servers for web and application compile part.

When IOS was in early stage, i rented from Scaleway as there was not any setup fee.

Recently, i'm ready to order from Hetzner, but, unfortunately they no longer offer this service.

As a result, looking for one if possible.

Best Regards.

Thanked by 1Erisa

Comments

• I don't have one, but hope you get it. Any idea why they removed them though? I actually kinda wanted one too vaguely and it sucks you can't buy it.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • anxanx Member
    edited April 2023

@Setsura said:
    I don't have one, but hope you get it. Any idea why they removed them though? I actually kinda wanted one too vaguely and it sucks you can't buy it.

:blush:

I don't have any clue actually, neither i wondered nor they commented about it on my e-mail communication.

Maybe, it will be better if i tag @Hetzner_OL for a public announcement.

• ErisaErisa Member

@Setsura said: Any idea why they removed them though?

Nobody really knows, there wasn't anything said and their support team (understandably) aren't forthcoming with details when asked.

Given some areas of the site still mention Mac Minis, I suspect it may have been in a hurry.

From when I asked them:

This product is currently not available.
    We do not share our roadmap with the public.
    Unfortunately, we cannot predict if or when the server will be available again.

• Sounds like Apple maybe told them to stop or something, weird.

• ralfralf Member
    edited April 2023

If I had to guess, I'd imagine some people were writing lots of data and the disks were failing early. Remember their disks aren't regular SSDs, they're bare chips soldered directly onto the motherboard, so if it fails you have to get it repaired by Apple. They probably realised that it's just much more cost-effective to offer the Ampere ARM solutions.

Of course, that doesn't really help you if you really want GPU as well as CPU.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • @ralf said:
    If I had to guess, I'd imagine some people were writing lots of data and the disks were failing early. Remember their disks aren't regular SSDs, they're bare chips soldered directly onto the motherboard, so if it fails you have to get it repaired by Apple.

To me that sounds like something they could have realized in the planning stage, I can't really imagine nobody there thought of that and it somehow got launched. Personally I'd figure it's something else, dunno what though.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Setsura said:

@ralf said:
    If I had to guess, I'd imagine some people were writing lots of data and the disks were failing early. Remember their disks aren't regular SSDs, they're bare chips soldered directly onto the motherboard, so if it fails you have to get it repaired by Apple.

To me that sounds like something they could have realized in the planning stage, I can't really imagine nobody there thought of that and it somehow got launched. Personally I'd figure it's something else, dunno what though.

I can't say what the reason is, but they were certainly testing the market. It's common for providers to do that. Not all products turn out to be suitable for the long-run. Maybe it's the SSDs, maybe it's lack of demand, maybe it is lack of OOB management, maybe it's a problem with deployments automatization, or maybe they could not find a distributor that can keep up with demand. It could be anything really.

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • LeeLee Veteran

@ralf said: If I had to guess, I'd imagine some people were writing lots of data and the disks were failing early.

Doubtful. I mean there are providers out there like MacStadium who seem to be doing fine and they are all in on Mac Minis. If there was an SSD problem you would see it there.

• anxanx Member

Hello,

I'm still looking for this service.

Best Regards.

• anxanx Member

Hello,

I've just ordered the related service at Hetzner.

For other forum members who wish to do so, just wanted to make a notification.

https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver?cpu_type=ARM

Best Regards.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member

@anx said:
    Hello,

I've just ordered the related service at Hetzner.

For other forum members who wish to do so, just wanted to make a notification.

https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver?cpu_type=ARM

Best Regards.

Good to hear these are back! Thanks for the heads up.

Thanked by 1anx
  • akhfaakhfa Member

How do you remote the mac machine?

• anxanx Member

@akhfa said:

Usually, i use it via SSH as my web application makes a connection into.

But, for first setup and some other stuff, you can remote control via VNC.

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • akhfaakhfa Member

@anx said:

@akhfa said:

So, it means that it will be less convenience to use it as desktop for daily use, doesnt it?

• anxanx Member

@akhfa said:

@anx said:

@akhfa said:

So, it means that it will be less convenience to use it as desktop for daily use, doesnt it?

It depends on why you need to use Mac for a remote pc.

• ErisaErisa Member

@akhfa said:

@anx said:

@akhfa said:

VNC doesn't perform particularly well, especially if not accessed from a mac.

You may install other software on it like Chrome Remote Desktop, Parsec or others. This will ensure a good desktop experience, though will still be dependant on your network latency to the location.

Thanked by 1akhfa