Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress on vps instead of shared - good or bad idea?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress on vps instead of shared - good or bad idea?

Hey,

I'am using vps/dedicated servers for my python/nodejs scripts and postgresql db (I'm newbie python dev, still need alot to learn). I have no experience in php/wordpress/apache etc. Its good idea to use vps instead of shared hosting in my case? Would love to give vps a try, but maybe I'm going to put myself on fire in this way.

Thanks

Vps or shared?
  1. Vps or shared?38 votes
    1. Lowend vps ftw
      63.16%
    2. Dont put yourself on fire bro, use shared
      36.84%

Comments

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited April 2023

i don't understand is that thing:

how to be newbie python dev, and have no idea about much much simpler things related to hosting? But at the same time launch complex apps like python one / nodejs one that require extra skills for that stuff...

• dodheimsgarddodheimsgard Member
    edited April 2023

@desperand said:

how to be newbie python dev, and have no idea about much much simpler things related to hosting? But at the same time launch complex apps like python one / nodejs one that require extra skills for that stuff...

I dont do stuff in python related to hosting, that's why. Various bots, scrapers, simple APIs in flask etc.

I didnt say "I have no idea", I have no experience. That's two different things to me.

• @dodheimsgard said:

@desperand said:

I dont do stuff in python related to hosting, that's why. Various bots, scrapers, simple APIs in flask etc.

I didnt say "I have no idea", I have no experience. That's two different things to me.

Sorry, i did not mean to be rude with you or offend you anyhow.
    You can try investigate how web-servers works with laragon on windows for example, or different control panels like HestiaCP to understand how things configured and setup.
    Also, optionally you can setup it yourself (LAMP/LEMP, whatever).

Thanked by 1dodheimsgard
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

If you have to ask, then its better you stay with shared hosting until you get more experience with WP. At some point you need to try the VPS option to learn.

• dodheimsgarddodheimsgard Member
    edited April 2023

@desperand said:

@dodheimsgard said:

@desperand said:

Sorry, i did not mean to be rude with you or offend you anyhow.
    You can try investigate how web-servers works with laragon on windows for example, or different control panels like HestiaCP to understand how things configured and setup.
    Also, optionally you can setup it yourself (LAMP/LEMP, whatever).

I dont find your previous post rude or something. I may sound rude myself because of my english level :D

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited April 2023

If it's for production and really important, then you should go with "Managed VPS" or at least "Semi Dedicated Hosting". It will give you the best of 2 worlds.

One of the best is Cloudways.

• somiksomik Member

@dodheimsgard why dont you start with learning linux command line (if you dont already). If you are familier with linux env, getting a low end VPS should be good enough. No need to get managed since you are only running python scripts on it.

This is just an advice from someone who knows both server management & python. You do not need to know server management to run python on it. You just need to know how to run python on linux (ubuntu/debian/centos) and you are good to go.

• emghemgh Member

@febryanvaldo said:
    If it's for production and really important, then you should go with "Managed VPS" or at least "Semi Dedicated Hosting". It will give you the best of 2 worlds.

What? Why would he need ”Semi Dedicated Hosting” and what is that even but a markering term?

• _MS__MS_ Member

@emgh said:

@febryanvaldo said:

What? Why would he need ”Semi Dedicated Hosting” and what is that even but a markering term?

A very popular term among actually good shared hosts.
    They (say that they) host fewer accounts on servers hosting their "Semi-Dedicated" hosting plans, which means each account gets access to more server resources than their regular shared hosting plans.
    The CloudLinux limits are also higher on these plans.

• emghemgh Member
    edited April 2023

MS said:

@emgh said:

@febryanvaldo said:

A very popular term among actually good shared hosts.
    They (say that they) host fewer accounts on servers hosting their "Semi-Dedicated" hosting plans, which means each account gets access to more server resources than their regular shared hosting plans.
    The CloudLinux limits are also higher on these plans.

Makes no sense

It basically means no more than ”newtork is fast my man”