Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spam question with Google Apps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spam question with Google Apps

Messages from all accounts in (paid for) Google Apps are getting marked as spam within the organization and in other regular gmail addresses. Marking the messages as not spam moves them to the inbox, but subsequent emails go to spam folder

SPF, DKIM, DMARC all look good:

SPF: PASS with IP 209.85.220.41 Learn more
DKIM: 'PASS' with domain xx.com Learn more
DMARC: 'PASS' Learn more

Any ideas? This just started happening about 3 days ago and seems utterly ridiculous.

Comments

• Hello,
    If the DNS parameters are correct, it is possible that the domain has a blacklist or low reputation. are the emails going out without links? If there is a signature or link pointing to a listed domain/ip, it may also be a factor in marking the mail as spam. Last question, have you checked with Google support yet?

Thanked by 1sidewinder
  • Did you received any e-mail from Google regarding this issue or about MX records?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2023

Well, one thing you can be sure of is that it's almost certainly entirely internal. Your DNS or Google's content filters. Google avoids using third party blacklists in almost all cases, and the exceptions I'm aware of would have a different result than what you described.

First, make sure you're using postmaster tools: https://www.gmail.com/postmaster/

Second, remove any persistent email content for a test. That means your email signature, kill it with fire. Persistent content across all emails is what can easily make it look like a consistent problem when the only thing being consistent about it is you.

Third, get a second opinion about the domain rep and delivery label/folder. I'll offer you one. Send an email to [email protected] and set the subject to "LowEndTalk Test Email" and let me know when you have. Write a little message in the body, make it seem human. I've got a pretty good eye for things, a reasonably trained instinct for seeing what filters might go off on. It's worth a shot.

Fourth, if your domain registrar is heavily focused on "privacy" and accepts Bitcoin for registration and renewal, transfer it to a more respected registrar. I know it sounds crazy, I don't intend to elaborate.

Thanked by 2netomx sidewinder
  • thanks to everyone for feedback.

I think it was related to SPF changes, although propagated for > 24 hours, took Google a very long time to recognize.

Maybe they cache DNS locally, so there is a big lag between propagation and the records they use when analyzing email.

So even though the SPF records seemed fine in the headers, the spam filters they use still used old SPF records.

This is the only thing that makes sense as this was the only thing I changed but I waited 15+ hours after changing and email was still sent to spam, despite SPF marked as pass.

Eventually, it stopped.

• What are your MX records? Google made some changes a time ago.