Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MXroute review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MXroute review

Figured I'd quickly review MXroute due to the current spring promo which is looking like a great sale from them.

I have been an MXroute client since 2018 and have noticed no downtime. That is including at least one server migration that I didn't notice; that's how well it went. No issues sending very small volumes of personal email nor receiving email.

I have occasionally needed support and had great experiences (this covered things not in documentation, which you are expected to read).

All this to say that if you are looking at a specific deal from MXroute and the price is right, pick it up. The best deals seem to be infrequent, and my specific plan has not been offered in years.

Thanked by 3jar itsgoingdown vr10

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Thanks friend! Expect a lot of product growth this year. Though, if you're not looking for it to grow, expect to see nothing as I'd prefer you be able to "set it and forget it" if desired.

• Yep, cheers to @jar! He might be a little "direct" in his communication style sometimes, and he doesn't suffer fools, but he runs a good service and cares passionately about his product.

I still wish he'd do at least full disk encryption (sorry, Jar, had to throw that in there!) and some other privacy-oriented features (which I'd happily pay more for, please consider it!), but he's hit the sweet spot in his price/performance/value equation, has an impressive track record of deliverability, and the fact that he's going to be delivering a custom control panel in the hopefully near future will just be fantastic.

Well-deserved kudos, definite thumbs up, wish him a very prosperous year!

(And seriously, please consider the encryption/privacy options... not talking Snowden level here, but just a few steps in the general direction would be nice! For a premium, no problem, I'd be in.)

Thanked by 1jar

@jlet88 said:
    Yep, cheers to @jar! He might be a little "direct" in his communication style sometimes, and he doesn't suffer fools, but he runs a good service and cares passionately about his product.

I still wish he'd do at least full disk encryption (sorry, Jar, had to throw that in there!) and some other privacy-oriented features (which I'd happily pay more for, please consider it!), but he's hit the sweet spot in his price/performance/value equation, has an impressive track record of deliverability, and the fact that he's going to be delivering a custom control panel in the hopefully near future will just be fantastic.

(And seriously, please consider the encryption/privacy options... not talking Snowden level here, but just a few steps in the general direction would be nice! For a premium, no problem, I'd be in.)

I'm legitimately scared of attracting anyone who pisses off the feds. But I will continue to hear that feedback and you never know how the stars might align to give me the right circumstances.

Thanked by 2jlet88 TimRoo
  • raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited April 2023

@jar said:
    Thanks friend! Expect a lot of product growth this year. Though, if you're not looking for it to grow, expect to see nothing as I'd prefer you be able to "set it and forget it" if desired.

Jarland those 100gb packages u had on offer couple of weeks ago, really wanted those man. But I kept waiting for a triennial payment setup, hoping the price wud go down to a $100 for that 😂 it never did or maybe $120 for 4 years. Take my money friend!

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited April 2023

@jar said:

@jlet88 said:
    Yep, cheers to @jar! He might be a little "direct" in his communication style sometimes, and he doesn't suffer fools, but he runs a good service and cares passionately about his product.

I'm legitimately scared of attracting anyone who pisses off the feds. But I will continue to hear that feedback and you never know how the stars might align to give me the right circumstances.

I understand what you mean, but you won't be attracting anyone who pisses off the feds if you clearly place a big bold line in your TOS that says, "MXRoute Privacy Plus (I just picked that out of the air, but doesn't it sound nice?) services are subject to US jurisdiction and complies with all Federal regulations and US court orders. No illegal activity is tolerated and users engaging in x, y, and z activities (fill in your pet peeves) will be summarily terminated without notice."

That will scare away anyone who would actually attract real trouble. AND your privacy services are more for peace of mind for your clients, not a Fort Knox of data... you would NOT be doing an open source zero-knowledge end-to-end encryption system. But steps along the path to more privacy and back-end protections would be very welcome. You definitely could start with LUKS full disk encryption for starters. That's easy, and would give some people a little more peace of mind.

Add one feature at a time to reinforce your privacy offering, but make it clear your services are not for abusers, and obviously never claim anything lilke Proton-Tutanota kind of service. I mean even FastMail gets away with calling itself a "privacy" service and it doesn't offer any built-in end-to-end encryption, key management, etc., and its jurisdiction is arguably worse than just the US alone... since it's based in Australia (which is terrible) + US servers + some Indian tech support I believe. That's an awful combo, with three poor jurisdictions, but they DO have encryption at rest on their servers so no one ever has to really worry about their data getting scraped if they improperly throw out hard drives or if someone unauthorized accesses their servers in their datacenter.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I know you have your hands full, and I look forward to your custom interface. But this doesn't have to be a big leap into the privacy space. One small step at a time would be welcome in that direction, minor features, but over time they could add up, plus it could be good marketing too.

I don't mean to hijack this thread though! :D I'll leave it there! Thanks for thinking about it though!

P.S.: EDIT: I should have mentioned that there are other services out there that charge quite a premium and they don't claim Proton-Tutanota level encryption, etc... and certainly don't attract anything close to Snowden level for example... Hushmail comes to mind (they are kind of fallen from grace in some circles TBH), but they are still in business and pivoted to HIPAA-compliance kinds of healthcare email services and for small business and law firms too, etc... And there is quite a market for HIPAA services. Not suggesting you go after HIPAA specifically, but rather building out toward a more privacy-oriented premium set of features that cross over into those markets. Everyone in those markets knows they pay more money, so it could be an opportunity for MXRoute Plus or MXRoute Privacy Plus or MXRoute Premium kinds of services.... let's be honest, you've mastered the LET market, and frankly created the milestone value proposition, but I'm just saying consider a "plus" or "premium" or "privacy" market too... people will pay more money for the Jar magic applied to a different market segment, and it doesn't have to attract trouble, but it would entail more privacy features. Okay, I'll quit now. :)

Thanked by 1jar

@jlet88 said: I don't mean to hijack this thread though! :D I'll leave it there! Thanks for thinking about it though!

I do value your thoughts, just want to make that clear :heart:

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@jlet88 said: He might be a little "direct" in his communication style

I like people who are direct and don't waste time chewing their words. That's one of the reasons I really respect @jar

Thanked by 3jar jlet88 CheepCluck
  • @jar said:

@jlet88 said: I don't mean to hijack this thread though! :D I'll leave it there! Thanks for thinking about it though!

I do value your thoughts, just want to make that clear :heart:

Thank you, man, and that's why I shared them!

Thanked by 1jar
  • Have only had the service like...a month? But happy so far! Love the unlimited domains, which a lot of competitors don't offer, so like I can set up an address just for things like my domain name that I reverse proxy locally so Nextcloud can send stuff.

Thanked by 2jar TimRoo
  • labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

Have the 2021 black friday offer. No issues so far it's all smooth sailing. Best $10 I've ever spent on a black friday email service offer.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I'm on the MXroute $15/yr LET offer right now. I've hosted with them for about a month now and it's been nothing but flawless!
    Highly recommend MXroute.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I finally got the latest LET for my church since we needed email and having my pastor use his AOL email just would not fly. So far rock solid. Only confusing part was mapping multiple domains, but I just setup forwards from one to the other and all good. thanks again for a solid solution that just works and I can just as you said earlier "set it and forget it" :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • TimRooTimRoo Member

@SocksAreComfortable said:
    Have only had the service like...a month? But happy so far! Love the unlimited domains, which a lot of competitors don't offer, so like I can set up an address just for things like my domain name that I reverse proxy locally so Nextcloud can send stuff.

Yeah, limiting domains is such an artificial, uh, limitation. As if one domain with 100 heavy users is less taxing on resources than 50 domains with sparse use. Capacity seems like a good proxy for use, and Jar gets that right without making you feel arbitrarily nickeled and dimed like some other services.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Black Friday $10 offer. Very good!

Thanked by 1jar
    edited May 2023

Of course, Crossbox isn't going anywhere. But I still keep trying to perfect what I think of as "my" webmail, meaning the webmail instance that I try to make reflect what I want to see and use.

With that in mind, see my experimentation here: https://webmail.mxroute.com

Right now that webmail instance should work for anyone on an MXroute server or any other shared hosting server anywhere (requires that an MX record not containing the word "relay" is able to function as the imap_host value for Roundcube). I'm of course just using some purchased plugins for the forward facing stuff, but the real meat of this test is the invisible dynamic back-end server selection when you login (a completely in-house Roundcube plugin developed equally by myself and GPT 3.5). The database for this instance will likely be wiped before this is ever called production.

This thread seemed like as good as any to casually toss this out.

Thanked by 2Arkas namein
  • cxgcxg Member

Allright, you convinced me.
    I grabbed the Spring Promo.
    I hope to find some time reading the docs soon.

Thanked by 1jar
  • nameinnamein Member

@jar said: With that in mind, see my experimentation here: https://webmail.mxroute.com

It looks so nice, look forward to the results.

Thanked by 1jar