Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting a webhosting business
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Starting a webhosting business

brqbrq Member
edited April 2023 in Help

Hello, what's the ideal OVH server ( or any specs ) that is good for a start to provide shared webhosting?, i want to start small then expend based on demand
I'm also considering offering vps server using solusvm, can anyone suggest some good specs for a start?
If anyone has some tips or advices regarding starting a web hosting business, it would be great :)

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax

Comments

• bastabbastab Member, Host Rep

@brq its worst idea to invest on servers without taking customers. I also run hosting company.
    And i did the same mistake for what i lose much money.

So i suggest you to use Reseller Hosting to start and then when you grow like 80-120
    customers or more ,switch to vps .

And if you want to resell vps then try resource pool [ its same like Reseller Hosting but its reselles VPS] or Just use any APi.

And now its turn for mah promotion 👻

If you want Reseller Hosting then you can contact me ,i can give you a good deal ;)

Inbox me

Bastab ~ ~

Thanked by 2Talistech brq
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Before thinking about server specs. etc. you should first figure out a business plan and what makes your services special compared to all those other countless existing providers in the hosting industry.
    Or in other words, why should someone replace an existing hosting contract with one from you? Hint: If your only answer is price, this most likely won't work.

Thanked by 2DigitalFyre brq
  • LeviLevi Member

Yes, to find special feature in hosting is hard. There is cloud and there is basement, there is ISO standards and there is 4G internet as backup. Theoretically you can't offer anything special. Hosting market is insanely saturated.

Thanked by 1brq
  • emghemgh Member

@dfroe said:
    Before thinking about server specs. etc. you should first figure out a business plan and what makes your services special compared to all those other countless existing providers in the hosting industry.
    Or in other words, why should someone replace an existing hosting contract with one from you? Hint: If your only answer is price, this most likely won't work.

Mainly because newtork is fast

Thanked by 1brq
  • brqbrq Member

@bastab said:
    @brq its worst idea to invest on servers without taking customers. I also run hosting company.
    And i did the same mistake for what i lose much money.

So i suggest you to use Reseller Hosting to start and then when you grow like 80-120
    customers or more ,switch to vps .

And if you want to resell vps then try resource pool [ its same like Reseller Hosting but its reselles VPS] or Just use any APi.

And now its turn for mah promotion 👻

If you want Reseller Hosting then you can contact me ,i can give you a good deal ;)

Inbox me

Bastab ~ ~

Thank you for your reply, i have tried reseller hosting before, and i thought having my own server would give me larger control over specs and so on, i would like to hear what plans you got regarding reseller hosting :)

@dfroe said:

@LTniger said:
    Yes, to find special feature in hosting is hard. There is cloud and there is basement, there is ISO standards and there is 4G internet as backup. Theoretically you can't offer anything special. Hosting market is insanely saturated.

Thank you for your replies, i know the global hosting market is saturated, i will be targeting clients differently than the classic way, i will technically offer my own software as a service, and i need to manage clients, that's why i was asking for technical advice, i got the marketing strategy figured out already.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@brq said: Thank you for your replies, i know the global hosting market is saturated, i will be targeting clients differently than the classic way, i will technically offer my own software as a service, and i need to manage clients, that's why i was asking for technical advice, i got the marketing strategy figured out already.

I think this is the first time in the dozen years I've been here where someone has actualy been able to say that. A refreshing change from people who post extensively about server specs and network blocks and then have no clue about how to actually get anyone to sign up.

Thanked by 2dfroe brq
  • cplicensenetcplicensenet Member, Patron Provider

Noticing you are looking for a "server" or it would be some kind of public cloud / VPS? The latter gives you the flexibility to start small and scale up as you have more clients added to the server (which is always recommended).

I would go with the below as a start and scale up as I move along.

8 vCore
    8GB RAM
    160GB SSD NVME

Thanked by 1brq
  • bastabbastab Member, Host Rep

@brq yes i know,but for starting i don't recommend. because i already shared my back story in small words.

I send you message :)

Bastab