Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

reliablesite OS install issues
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

reliablesite OS install issues

j3rj3r Member
edited April 2023 in Providers

Preface: I'm an old tech guy, so I don't know everything, but I know linux and so on. @MrRadic I love your specs and prices, but your IPMI is broken on linux, I cannot use it (I've even tried installing with java running on a windows vm and also failed. I want to install the OS via my own ISO). The only thing I need fixed on your service is the ability to reinstall a modern OS easily (I mean, a JS console would also be nice, but I can live without it). I would host multiple servers with you if we could fix this. I don't always get the install right, and I like to test different configs when setting up a new server, I can't open a ticket each time, and last time my server was provisioned by support with only one out of 2 disks used.

Ability to easily deploy an OS with simple RAID or partitions like OVH would make you instantly somewhere I can direct many clients to.

I like your platform for myself for messing around, but it has to work better if you want to really kick ass. I say this because I like your style, I wouldn't bother otherwise.

Comments

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited April 2023

Mentioned this over ticket, I'm not sure what you want to achieve by calling me out in public.

I'm not sure what I can do for you. It's SuperMicro's IPMI on an older server and only supports Java. There's nothing I can do to make it Linux more compatible with Java and there's nothing I can do to make SuperMicro update the IPMI on that specific configuration to work with more than just Java.

If you want IPMI with HTML5 support, you need to purchase newer hardware that supports that.

We will be adding support for partitioning someday (programmatically it's already there, just don't have the man hours available to create partitioning compatible with 100+ configurations right now).

Maybe the solution here is to run a VM inside the server so you can re-install as much as you want without the KVM issue on Linux?

Thanked by 2gemexe amaalex
  • For the older supermicros, your best bet is either spinning up a VM or docker instance on your localmachine with the ancient version of java you need, and using that to your advantage. openJRE works fine too, but sometimes you gotta fiddle with it and its security settings too - so running that in a VM is well advised. If you can, see if Supermicro's IPMIview works.
    If you can, try IPMI SOL with netboot see if that suits your needs.

Thanked by 1noisycode
  • OpenJDK 8 + IcedTea has always worked for me on ancient supermicro machines.

Thanked by 1CheepCluck