Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What have i learned in 5 years? Timeline, some shutouts and my life/community
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What have i learned in 5 years? Timeline, some shutouts and my life/community

Hello random friends.

This is lengthy thread so either skip or grab some popcorn

My name is Matti and over the 7 years of having a small online community my hobbies have changed multiple times.

Probably 8 years ago I started with Chemistry and slowly within 3-4 years or so I quit. The reason was the laws kept getting stupider and stupider (thank you EU) where I needed to spend days getting the chemicals instead of actually using them.

My Community was started in Maker Amino, an app like let’s say a forum about 7 years ago. (dead now)

In 2020 I lost access to my workshop (The Chemical Workshop) which meant there was definitely no going back to chemistry.

So meanwhile I picked up a new hobby. Electronics (I did electronics where I was a kid in like 2010’s (long story)) so I was definitely getting back into electronics mostly fixing stuff again. I was busy with Highschool so till 2020 I really didn’t have time or money for stuff

Early 2019 I started with Minecraft servers from PebbleHost. Later purchased a tiny VPS from Gullo’s

In mid-2019 I purchased a VPS from QuadHost. They were hosting all my discord bots and the 2nd VPS was used for experimenting. and slowly got into Linux and JavaScript. I quit JS after like half a year and went to Python.

End of 2019 I purchased Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB. Mostly as a backup iirc and WireGuard tunnel
In 2020 I found a deal on a US VPS from RackNerd on lowendstock.com bought it, never used it because US ping.

Also, I see that I bought HostSailor at some point in time. Don’t really remember them.

In Feb 2021 I created an account on here after QuadHost just disappeared. RackNerd saved my ass and offered a cheap VPS in Netherlands (VPS Big) I still use today alongside bunch of upgrades I got from BF (some traded, some bought myself) (if RN reads this it’s racknerd-1fc9ea wink wink) (this VPS I’m taking to grave ngl)

In the time of 2020 till 2022 After “failed” high school I was jobless with too much free time and I was just grinding IT skills, Linux, Docker, Python, Databases and what not probably 6h a day if not more (weekends and holidays included).

In July of 2022? Caught covid, nearly died but had major positive voice change. Followed by apprenticeship as “software developer” in August I moved across Germany into a new apartment https://youtube.com/watch?v=lggcGB-Ds6c

My apprenticeship will take 3 years to complete, the pay is 6€ an hour and I’m limited to 100 Hours a month. I guess it’s better than being jobless for 2 years? Not sure. Anyways.
Side note, the Apartment as of April 2023 is mostly empty cuz furniture is expensive and inflation is assfucking us all and getting anything with my weak programmer arms on the 4th floor is not possible alone.

In December of 2022 I Passed LPL Linux Essentials

Currently in April 2023 My servers and Services look like this, the links are meme at this point lol. Some Links/Services have been left out or added to slightly obscure the info. There are more servers, but I left them out.

• This basically allows me to access my stuff and make new stuff. Here is a list (unordered) of - stuff I’d like to own (IT related) in the future:
  • Dedicated server, preferably my hardware (colocation)
  • Home HDD NAS (2 of them, for backup) for all my stuff
  • Better Home Assistant server: would like to add paperless, android VM, firefly and maybe few more things. Currently using Giada F200 I prevented from being trashed. Something with modern chip and power. Also, like 2-4TB SSD as cache for NAS
  • Have my own IPv4 block
  • More smart home stuff, I’m super lazy and I’d like to automate whatever is possible.

Here is what I learned/used over the few years in IT (work stuff excluded) all skill levels:

• Python, Flask, Quart, discord.py, various API’s, pillow, Rest requests and multi factor authentication.
  • Javacript, discord.js, three.js, Vue, React
  • Java, Minecraft java lib
  • Minecraft hosting, config
  • Mysql, pgsql, redis
  • Docker, Portainer, Docker Hub
  • Linux, Nginx, ASGI, WSGI, Cpanel, Directadmin
  • Wordpress, joolma
  • Windows, Windows Server
  • DNS, CDN, status codes, general debugging.
  • Chatgpt and integrating it into projects

And probably bunch more stuff, also excluded stuff like video editing or whatever is not IT related.

Guess just wanted to say a thank you to the community, but mostly to providers for allowing people like me to learn stuff. I also taught probably 5 people python and gave away 10 or so Cpanel hostings or VPS’. My current spending for all my stuff is currently 15€ a month at least (this is only recurring payments) in practice is bit more but not much. (again, my pay does not allow me super-fast scaling)

Currently interested in home automation and maybe touching some grass cuz life starting to get lonely.

If you have questions to my journey or want to help me out anyhow, let me know !
(im not the best when it comes to ted-talks like this lol)

Comments

• Thanks for sharing your story. It's pretty awesome how much can be learned from having access to a few low end servers.

I checked out your diagram, I see you're running wireguard on pretty much everything - do you have a segmented network at your mom's, just in the off chance something were to happen to that network her stuff wouldn't be on the same vlan as your stuff?

• @DeadlyChemist is your Bitcoin address 1N7B4... still accurate?

• @pointgod said:
    Thanks for sharing your story. It's pretty awesome how much can be learned from having access to a few low end servers.

no worries, i hope to inspire some people, worst case they let a 10€ VPS idle. Best case they have a cool hobby or a job.

@pointgod said:
    I checked out your diagram, I see you're running wireguard on pretty much everything - do you have a segmented network at your mom's, just in the off chance something were to happen to that network her stuff wouldn't be on the same vlan as your stuff?

nope, also she can't really connect to me and i'm not connected all the time either. (router does not support it either)
    i use it mostly to access router settings, printer settings and what not is on the network
    useful when debugging, it's order of magnitude faster to wireguard, check if the wifi is on instead of asking her to go into phone settings and what not. if wireguard fails i have zerotier if zerotier fails there is a sd card with wireguard and zerotier taped to rasberry pi incase it failed... worst case i use her phone with teamwiever.

@inland said:
    @DeadlyChemist is your Bitcoin address 1N7B4... still accurate?

Kind of?, the private key is at my mom's place which i can't currently access
    new address: 1QK3xzUyaX5tZjP8qH4LVtJpJzD5PGzEcX

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

Very nice story my friend!
    You seem like you like to know a lot different stuff just like I do. In my case its caused by ADHD - I need something "new" every day, so I won't get bored and procrastinate.

Right now I'm making videos, programming, designing, making marketing plans, managing few project... and all of that while changing my home every 10-12 months. I'm currently 25 and from couple months I feel I need stability tho, so probably I'll focus on less things in future and try to do my best with just videos & designing, as these are things I mostly like.

• @AXYZE said:
    Very nice story my friend!
    You seem like you like to know a lot different stuff just like I do. In my case its caused by ADHD - I need something "new" every day, so I won't get bored and procrastinate.

Right now I'm making videos, programming, designing, making marketing plans, managing few project... and all of that while changing my home every 10-12 months. I'm currently 25 and from couple months I feel I need stability tho, so probably I'll focus on less things in future and try to do my best with just videos & designing, as these are things I mostly like.

im 25 as well, august 97
    ADHD ? not sure, but definitely a little bit focus issues (fuck you mac mini's fan) self-diagnosed so no one gives a crap
    my stability in life is.... not existent

there is so much crap i'd like to learn in different fields, but A: i lack cash, B: i lack the place (well, cash) C: i simply don't know any people that can help...
    here is a list of weird shit (non IT related) i'd like to make (unordered):

• bathroom ceramic tiles with TCW logo, learn ceramics
    • glassblow a beaker and make chocolate milk (from raw materials) in it
    • make my own lens, glass and all, make pictures of um, stuff
    • get a spectrometer and make low-power lasers, i want anything that exists from 350nm to 1200nm (currently got 4?, dream is to have like 50+)
    • extract uranium from uranium glass (chemistry, so looks like pass)
    • make a NR-Sodium-Reactor (google nurdrage sodium) (chemistry, so looks like pass)
    • make my own Xray machine to make fast teardowns
    • open a chemistry museum (chemistry, so looks like pass (not to mind laws))

probably a bunch more weird shit (left out personal goals like travel or relationship or what not)

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2023

First of all, you have a pretty interesting life story, but getting into the things you wanna own:

@DeadlyChemist said: Here is a list (unordered) of - stuff I’d like to own (IT related) in the future:
    Dedicated server, preferably my hardware (colocation)

I'm currently in the process of doing that. I was able to get a base HP Proliant dl380p G8 for like 120 USD, and that had the board, chassis, 2x E5-2660, heatsinks, and 2x 450W PSU. Then I got 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM sticks (16x 16GB) for 12 bucks a piece. The HDD caddies for like 2,50 dollars a piece (8 needed), then through the same guy, I was also able to buy some really nice 1.2 TB SAS drives from DELL (Exos 10E2400 from February of 2020) with only like 500 power on hours for ~55 USD a piece (8 needed), and all assembled, this dedi is looking pretty nice (though I might change the CPUs on it to something better), and in total cost me around 780 USD for the whole server. Still, with the CPU upgrades that I'm planning to do, it might be closer to 870 USD. And then the colocation cost I'm estimating is going to be around 100 EUR p/m (welcome to Europe)

So the server currently looks like this:
    HP Proliant DL380p G8
    2x E5-2660
    256 GB RAM [SAMSUNG 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L-12800R ECC REGISTERED]
    8x 1.2 TB SAS drives

Home HDD NAS (2 of them, for backup) for all my stuff

The NAS itself probably won't cost that much, but the disks will cost considerably more.
    I was actually thinking about getting something like WD My Book Duo, as it was cheap on Allegro (polish eBay), but with the price of some decent capacity drives, I've decided not to get it (at least for now)

Better Home Assistant server: would like to add paperless, android VM, firefly and maybe few more things. Currently using Giada F200 I prevented from being trashed. Something with modern chip and power.

That is a pretty cool little idea, but make sure you have everything outlined, and what you want exactly in something like that to design it, so you don't have to have 3 different small PCs or SBC for 3 different things.

Also, like 2-4TB SSD as cache for NAS

So you want a big NAS then (simular to one that LTT has). Well, all I can say is that it will cost you a lot of money, and you are most likely ain't gonna use it a lot. I'd recommend going for something smaller, and you most likely won't need a cache for a NAS anyways, as it probably won't be like you'll be editing 8K videos from a NAS. For a small scale which is something that you will most likely be doing, I would personally recommend going for a normal NAS instead of a NAS server.

Have my own IPv4 block

Sorry, but forget about this. If this IPv4 block won't be used for a business, there is just no financial way that you will be able to get this kind of stuff. Take a look at https://auctions.ipv4.global/ Currently, the smallest IPv4 block starts at 10,000 USD for a /24, and renting an IPv4 block in the current day and age is probably the way to go as on https://www.ipxo.com/lease-ips/ they go from just 100 USD p/m, so that means you would have to rent for over 8 years for it to be the same amount of money, that you would pay to buy the IPv4 block outright. And also, you are forgetting about the yearly costs of RIPE NNC membership fees, of which I'm not up to date, so you are more than welcome to look through them.

More smart home stuff, I’m super lazy and I’d like to automate whatever is possible.

The question is, what is there to automate?

• @skorupion said: And then the colocation cost I'm estimating is going to be around 100 EUR p/m (welcome to Europe)

NEXT ! (all my domains and IT stuff cost 15€ a month and i think 25€ (for everything! is all i can do) so maybe in few years...

@skorupion said: The NAS itself probably won't cost that much, but the disks will cost considerably more.

I was actually thinking about getting something like WD My Book Duo, as it was cheap on Allegro (polish eBay), but with the price of some decent capacity drives, I've decided not to get it (at least for now)
    yeah, i found some sick ones, 18TB hdd for 250€, would love 2 and later few more but no moneys for now

@skorupion said: That is a pretty cool little idea, but make sure you have everything outlined, and what you want exactly in something like that to design it, so you don't have to have 3 different small PCs or SBC for 3 different things.

the erling? whatever chinese mobo with laptop intel CPU that actually is good
    the problem with this is power, 40cents a KWH here, so 10-15W is most im willing todo tbh.

@skorupion said: So you want a big NAS then (simular to one that LTT has). Well, all I can say is that it will cost you a lot of money, and you are most likely ain't gonna use it a lot. I'd recommend going for something smaller, and you most likely won't need a cache for a NAS anyways, as it probably won't be like you'll be editing 8K videos from a NAS. For a small scale which is something that you will most likely be doing, I would personally recommend going for a normal NAS instead of a NAS server.

My BMPCC4k makes huge files, my idea is to have a 20-30TB HDD (x2 cuz redundancy) NAS for all my files, maybe games, whatnot. one at my location, another at whoevers location
    mine stays off during night, boots up during day whenever i need it
    if im at holidays or whatever and for some odd reason the internet is good, or heck, im at home i could just use the 2-4TB cache to dump media FAST, so it later gets copied over to the nas and synced to other location. I really really hate fans (and clocks!) at night.

@skorupion said: Sorry, but forget about this. If this IPv4 block won't be used for a business, there is just no financial way that you will be able to get this kind of stuff. Take a look at https://auctions.ipv4.global/ Currently, the smallest IPv4 block starts at 10,000 USD for a /24, and renting an IPv4 block in the current day and age is probably the way to go as on https://www.ipxo.com/lease-ips/ they go from just 100 USD p/m, so that means you would have to rent for over 8 years for it to be the same amount of money, that you would pay to buy the IPv4 block outright. And also, you are forgetting about the yearly costs of RIPE NNC membership fees, of which I'm not up to date, so you are more than welcome to look through them.

i found some for 2-3K last year, yeah you need to register company and what not, goal for later maybe one day i can dream lol.

@skorupion said: The question is, what is there to automate?

everything, i want the door to automatically swing open when i'm going upstairs, windows open while im not home and close shortly before im home, heating to turn on as well.
    each time i take shower and i close the door, it should ventilate the room/humidity.
    my light should automatically turn on when i leave bed at morning for work.
    pretty insane goals but imo doing dishes, opening windows, turning on heating, forget to do either or simply having to walk 3m to the light switch to turn it off when im leaving to work. if i can automate this, it's on this list, imo i can spend 2 weeks writing software to automate the door swinging open when im on stairway instead of actually using my keys and spending 5s per entrance...
    pretty insane, yeah
    but i dont know, sounds pretty insane.

i divide my time into "active" and "passive" active beeing let's say right now, doing nothing
    passive beeing when im on the walk from home to work.

people will judge me now lol

• LeviLevi Member

Definitely you need to touch some grass. What's your girl type?

• @LTniger said: Definitely you need to touch some grass. What's your girl type?

Definitely little/no makeup/fake stuff, I'm more attracted to personality than looks so yeah, guess a big titty Asian (includes thais, pinay and indians) fits perfect, not thin but not bbw, something nice to grab. Could go with thicc booty middle east, or polish/slav so we can together do dumb slav shit. Or latina, spicy. Wouldnt say no to swedish or danish either.

The questions is, what can you offer?

Jokes aside, personality < tits, I mean personality > looks

Dont really have a taste regarding looks

not sure how serious this question is or was, but my ex was pinay, before that mostly european.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@DeadlyChemist said:

Had same idea and I've put many hoiurs into it but eventually abandoned it.
    Double gauss design is best for start, because pictures will be stunning, theres a lot of free resources to learn from (even on YouTube, just type "designing double gauss") and its easy, without any advanced bending or types of glass. You can also get existing double gauss lenses for like 5-10eiro in in any flohmarkt - just get any analog 50mm lens, pretty much all of them are double gauss. There are people modding these lenses too or even combining elements of two double gauss designs... :)

• @AXYZE said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

Had same idea and I've put many hoiurs into it but eventually abandoned it.
    Double gauss design is best for start, because pictures will be stunning, theres a lot of free resources to learn from (even on YouTube, just type "designing double gauss") and its easy, without any advanced bending or types of glass. You can also get existing double gauss lenses for like 5-10eiro in in any flohmarkt - just get any analog 50mm lens, pretty much all of them are double gauss. There are people modding these lenses too or even combining elements of two double gauss designs... :)

My idea was get some flat glass and sand the curvature into it...
    But this works i guess too
    Never started this project, not enought 3d printing skills, space or even spare money for yet another project xD
    Had a huge projector lens once, huge cover as well, i recon imax size
    Nearly black inside due to some dirt
    Was impossible to take apart and clean, finally the glass inside gave up, not the thinner metal strip holding it

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@DeadlyChemist

I think you have come a long way from a "chemist".
    We at HOST-C wish to congratulate you on your Journey! we also LOVE the Teamviewer side note, we feel you ;) .

Thanked by 1DeadlyChemist
  • fresentfresent Member, Patron Provider

@DeadlyChemist that was a long one man.

Keep moving forward. ✌️

Thanked by 1DeadlyChemist