Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reseller or dedicated
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reseller or dedicated

Hi guys, long time user, sometimes poster.

Quick question I guess,
I have been running several websites and one in particular, an ecommerce site has gained a lot of traction. And with that traction, comes attacks. Now I got everything on a vps, and for the time being, I'm keeping ahead of the attacks. However the server does get taxed a bit when mitigating and I guess the host doesnt like me using up too much CPU time.

So my question is, should I buy a reseller hosting, have all the websites hosted there (and hopefully much of the headaches get solved through ease of use) or just a bigger vps?

I'm not too familiar with reseller hosting, like how many resources get allocated, when/if things throttle. There are some attractive deals on reseller hosting, which is why I'm even considering it(and features such as daily backups). And with work and the ecommerce site workload piling up, id rather spend less time on the backend.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• hyena56hyena56 Member
    edited April 2023

Would'nt be hardening with some WAF firewall such as Cloudflare won't be helpful? I think you'll be much stressed managing it on your own. Than other hosts who have experienced in that field? Just imho. As attacks will still be coming

Thanked by 1greenhat
  • Thanks for your reply. Yea I already utilize cloudflare and it is super helpful as both a CDN and security features. I am kinda still leaning towards a higher spec vps. But a professional service isn't out of the question.

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

Do you use a CDN to serve static content?

Thanked by 1greenhat
  • I believe everything that can be served through the cdn, is. I don't have bandwidth issues or anything like that, just growing pains lol. And the current host I have use for 3 years now, they forced an ip4 change twice. I never experienced this with anyone else, so I want to jump.

• AndruAndru Member

Stick to reseller hosting, thats my point of view. When you're managing all by yourself can bring some headache :smile: Also, price for licenses are way expensive when you're managing by yourself.

Thanked by 2greenhat Ympker
  • yes that is one thing I forgot to mention. panel licenses are usually cheaper when getting reseller hosting.

• Stick to reseller and thank me later.

Thanked by 1greenhat
  • HostWildHostWild Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2023

Hello! @greenhat :smile:

I introduce you a very cheapest option to host your all domains in single place. This will save your lots of cost than a VPS or Dedicated Server. Try our Premium cPanel Hosting Server which is including these features.

• Host Unlimited Websites
    • Intel® Xeon E5-2640 v4 (Shared)
    • 8 GB DDR3 RAM
    • 30 GB SSD Disk Space
    • Unlimited Database
    • Unlimited Email Accounts
    • Free SSL (Let's Encrypt)
    • cPanel Access Included
    • LiteSpeed Web Server + LS Cache
    • Fully Optimized Web Server
    • 1 Gbps Network Port
    • Unlimited Bandwidth
    • DDOS Protected
    • Free CloudFlare DNS & CDN Setup
    • No Technical Skill Needed
    • Managed by Our Experts

Cost: $12/month.
    Use Code: "WILD10" for 10% Instant Discount.

• therawtheraw Member
    edited April 2023

@greenhat said:
    I believe everything that can be served through the cdn, is. I don't have bandwidth issues or anything like that, just growing pains lol. And the current host I have use for 3 years now, they forced an ip4 change twice. I never experienced this with anyone else, so I want to jump.

if your host forced you to change ipv4 means they don't have anti-ddos so don't bother with that anymore.
    there are L7 services aswell as cloudflares but i believe they will cost you more then simply buying a good 4ghz/ddr4/nvme vps on a company that has anti-ddos and all you need to do is setup some L7 protection + site cache.
    is also a matter of performance not only price. can't compare the performance you can get from hosting yourself on a vps vs shared hosting plans.

Also need to watch what type of hosting you get as most of them don't have any traffic filters, or they have simple iptables rules that limit connection per ip or limit bandwidth not a proper L7 protection, most go offline against a multi proxy attack.
    also remember that their overall rules are set per server none of them has rules per customer for example an attacker can make your website throw 500 errors and be offline while your hosting company is working good. that happens because you reach your hosting plans limits so they will ask you to upgrade your plan even when its due to attacks.

ofc i'm not including all shared hosting providers in this opinion.

• @theraw said:

@greenhat said:
    I believe everything that can be served through the cdn, is. I don't have bandwidth issues or anything like that, just growing pains lol. And the current host I have use for 3 years now, they forced an ip4 change twice. I never experienced this with anyone else, so I want to jump.

if your host forced you to change ipv4 means they don't have anti-ddos so don't bother with that anymore.
    there are L7 services aswell as cloudflares but i believe they will cost you more then simply buying a good 4ghz/ddr4/nvme vps on a company that has anti-ddos and all you need to do is setup some L7 protection + site cache.
    is also a matter of performance not only price. can't compare the performance you can get from hosting yourself on a vps vs shared hosting plans.

Also need to watch what type of hosting you get as most of them don't have any traffic filters, or they have simple iptables rules that limit connection per ip or limit bandwidth not a proper L7 protection, most go offline against a multi proxy attack.
    also remember that their overall rules are set per server none of them has rules per customer for example an attacker can make your website throw 500 errors and be offline while your hosting company is working good. that happens because you reach your hosting plans limits so they will ask you to upgrade your plan even when its due to attacks.

ofc i'm not including all shared hosting providers in this opinion.

yea, the host i am(soon to be was) using was good in the start. But oh man their support needs to work in the IT industry. Long story short, I asked why they always need to change the ip address, later they replied my vps os was corrupted and needed to reinstall "shall i reinstall it for you" OH GOD NO YOU MORON. lol